So confused about calorie intake 1200 calorie thing help

Options
Ok, so I have only been logging 2 days I put down 30 minutes of exercise 3 times a week I might up that soon and I put I wanted to lose two pounds a week because I am 262 and 5'2 will some one please look at my logs they are public and tell me if the amount I am eating is ok or not because I would hate to try and get healthy and be doing the exact wrong thing also if I exercise more do I eat more. 1370 is the calorie MFP put me on please put this is dummy speak for me I'm 23 and don't really get diets.

Replies

• VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Check out this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

Lots of good information for new people.

Welcome and good luck to you!
  • EsculentGoddess
    Options
    looking at those couple days. The foods look fine...The sugar might be a teensy high but not that bad (unless you're worried about diabetes) considering you are eating very low in fat and getting quite a bit of protein in along with whole grains. AND you're even taking a vitamin and getting plenty of water which is something a LOT of people end up neglecting. I'd say you are definitely on the right track. If you still find yourself hungry it looks like you even have room for an extra snack.
  • Aweaver1990
    Options
    The only thing that worries me is people keep saying under 1200 is starving and if you exercise eat more I just am confused. The link seent to me above says that basically ?? I don't know
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Check out this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

Lots of good information for new people.

Welcome and good luck to you!

Good thread. I told MFP that I was expecting no exercise. I want to go with the lowest ammount I could burn when not working. My job varies between a desk job-. a stand in one spot for 8 hour job- and one that involves walking half the shift.
    I would rather add the exercise in as I go.

>>>>>>> note, I am 5'3", weigh 135, and am on 1300 calories a day to maintain.

I was eating around 2,000 when Breastfeeding (-600 calories a day) put me at 1400 gross a day when 190 pounds.
  • Odiliawine
    Odiliawine Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is meant for completely sedentary people which most people aren't. You should try TDEE- 20% or at the very least eat your BMR. If these things mean nothing to you, that's cool, just check out the road map already posted on here.
  • mlrogers19
    Options
    You need to eat back your exercise calories. Ultimately, you need to NET 1200 calories. Which means that if you eat 1300, but you burn 200 calories in exercise, that leaves you at only 1100 calories for the day which is NOT enough to fuel your body. Trust me, you will lose weight if you NET 1200 calories.
  • geddyp
    geddyp Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is probably not enough for you.

You can find out what your body needs in order to function by calculating your BMR here: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

You should not eat less than that and you should eat back your exercise calories. I am doing TDEE-15 % and it's working for me so far. You can calculate it here: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Good luck!
  • Aweaver1990
    Options
    I am really not trying to sound retarded but how many calculations do you have to do isnt that what the sites suppose to do for you or is it just an accountability journal I went to a nutrionist and she reccomended the site I guess I'll have to go back to figure out how to you it because I'm getting conflicting information from family friends etc etc
  • Aweaver1990
    Options
    also im not trying to eat under the 1370 they alloted me on the site but im eating six times a day and taking vitamins so i dont know what to add change etc
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I am really not trying to sound retarded but how many calculations do you have to do isnt that what the sites suppose to do for you or is it just an accountability journal I went to a nutrionist and she reccomended the site I guess I'll have to go back to figure out how to you it because I'm getting conflicting information from family friends etc etc

Don't listen to family/friends. Most people don't have a clue about nutrition.

Be patient. Read. Learn. Absorb. You'll figure it out soon enough.

Do please read the link I posted earlier and the threads it links to. Also the "in place of a roadmap" thread is a good read as well.

Patience.
  • Aweaver1990
    Options
    ok so if I change my settings and eat more like 1500 would that be good I know you guys are giving me good info I'm just feeling overwhelmed here ......
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If u already accounted for your exercise when you set up your goals I'd be wary about eating those cals back on specific days because MFP would have accounted for your activity level when it gives you your daily cals.
  • Aweaver1990
    Options
    ok so if I change my settings and eat more like 1500 would that be good I know you guys are giving me good info I'm just feeling overwhelmed here ......

Is that the "calories burned through daily activity" multiplied by 0.80?

if it is, then yes, set it to that number and eat back your exercise calories.

So I multiplied .8 by 2,370 average daily calories burned in my goals didn't go by exercise because I didnt today and got 1896 so I should eat that many calories roughly unless I exercise that day then eat what I burn back?
  • carmenb39
    Options
    Figuring out meals is certainly a challenge. Try the book, '400 Calorie Fix,' by Prevention.com for some great recipes that are nutritionally balanced and have plenty of traditional/comfort foods. The book even gives suggestions for eating out or making quick meals on the go. Absolutely worth it, I refer to my copy of the book all the time!
  • Aweaver1990
    Options
    I appreciate everyones advice I'm going to up my calories not quite as high as suggested but I will update everyon about how it goes thank you all soo much for reading my I cant figure this stuff out rant LOL!! add me if yall want and my husband I only have a few friend on my page and he's the only guy he's gonna start logging tommrow :)