anybody with Degenerative Joint disease?

Options
I just found out this week that I have degenerative joint disease. I am looking to hopefully meet some people with the same "disease" I am having many side effects because of it and would like some friends who maybe going through the same type of things.

Replies

• amercer09
    amercer09 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    please send me a friend request with some info please.
  • amercer09
    Options
    nobody at all?
  • elisabethsilva
    Options
    I was diagnosed with DJD too. You can't undo damage that is already done, but check out the Wheat Belly diet by Dr. Davis. The books are available at Barnes & Noble and on Amazon. Once I cut all wheat out of my diet, my swelling, puffiness & joint pain disappeared! I'm not affiliated with them - just really happy that it is working. It works pretty fast, so 6 weeks should tell you if this is a good direction for you to go.
  • amercer09
    Options
    thanks. I dont have swelling or puffiness, just fatness.
  • teabeeten
    teabeeten Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with degenerative arthritis in one knee and am learning how to balance protecting my joint with getting enough exercise. I'm seeing some improvement with physical therapy, but I'm bummed to learn that I'm not going to be able to continue some of my favorite exercise.
  • amercer09
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with degenerative arthritis in one knee and am learning how to balance protecting my joint with getting enough exercise. I'm seeing some improvement with physical therapy, but I'm bummed to learn that I'm not going to be able to continue some of my favorite exercise.
    i am being treated with shots right now, but i am very unsure of what to do with the future, alot of my excercises are impossible for me to do....no biking
  • teabeeten
    teabeeten Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What joints are affected for you?

I had been doing yoga, but am no longer supposed to do any kneeling positions. Running is out and so are stairs. I've been walking every day, doing strength training in my upper body and doing the leg exercises my physical therapist prescribed. Apart from that, I'm struggling to find exercise I can do without completely inflaming my knee joint. (I opted out of the steroid shots for the time being since the doctor didn't seem optimistic they'd help much.)
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    i am being treated with shots right now, but i am very unsure of what to do with the future, alot of my excercises are impossible for me to do....no biking

Like me your going to have to get over the fact that you can't do a lot of the exercises you onced loved. I was training for a half marathon this year and blew my back out and only to find out I have DDD. No spinning, no running, and no lifting weights until my back gets better. All which I love. I actually haven't worked out in months due to the pain but I am now on pain meds. What can you do: swimming, pilates, walking, lots of stretching, etc. Low impact aerobic exercises. It took me awhile to wrap my mind around this as I've never done pilates, the only time I walked was during my cool down run and swimming only in the ocean for fun.

You are the one who is going to make your back get better. I had to have a heart to heart with my Dr. because I was little bummed. I'm only 29 so I was stressing at first but like he said there's nothing to stress over. You have it. Your the one that's going to be the result of it not getting worse. I'm always going to have DDD and I can do things to make sure it doesn't get worse like the exercises mentioned above.

So i'm doing swimming, pilates, walking, physical therapy 2x a week, and a back stretching class at my gym.
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with DJD too. You can't undo damage that is already done, but check out the Wheat Belly diet by Dr. Davis. The books are available at Barnes & Noble and on Amazon. Once I cut all wheat out of my diet, my swelling, puffiness & joint pain disappeared! I'm not affiliated with them - just really happy that it is working. It works pretty fast, so 6 weeks should tell you if this is a good direction for you to go.

I've been gluten free for 1 1/2years and therefore no wheat and I still have swelling and joint pain.