What are some heavy household objects I could lift?

Options

Replies

• norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    cast iron skillets...
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Any large empty container should do it.....add water or sand.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with just some goog old bodyweight excercises! Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POdzasJklxw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

For the vast majority of people, bodyweight excercises will be more than sufficient.

There are a lot of things that are "more than sufficient," but bouncing around on my arms doesn't make my short list.
  • Littlegurl
    Littlegurl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    The great thing about milk jugs is u can fill them to ur desired weight.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Another vote for yourself!

Also, a full laundry hamper - ours weighs a ton.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Your car.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    A gallon jug, empty of milk, filled with water, I believe weighs 5lbs. good luck.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Calisthenics
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I do a little circuit while I watch tv: dips using my computer chair, push-ups with my feet up on my bed, then crunches, then normal push-ups. Rinse and repeat.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Your refrigerator!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Do you have a car? Push it around a parking lot while someone steers it in neutral. Then tie a heavy duty rope to it and pull it around said parking lot. Full body workout.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Do you have a car? Push it around a parking lot while someone steers it in neutral. Then tie a heavy duty rope to it and pull it around said parking lot. Full body workout.

I've always wanted to try to pull a car.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I don't have any money for weights right now, so can anyone help me come up with heavy household objects to do weight training with, in the mean time?

I've been brewing some beer today, and lifting and carrying around about 50-70 pounds of water and grains. I think water and a decent holding vessel for it would be good for functional workouts.
  • dbmata
    Options

Try it. No time like the present. Find one that has those towing shackles, and go for broke.
  • VelociMama
    Options

Try it. No time like the present. Find one that has those towing shackles, and go for broke.

I think I'm going to add this to my "awesome stuff I'm going to do in the not-so-distant future" list. It would be pretty badass. :)
  • dbmata
    Options
    I think I'm going to add this to my "awesome stuff I'm going to do in the not-so-distant future" list. It would be pretty badass. :)

Why not? Yours is infinitely more practical than mine... I just have to grow a waxable mustache and find a bear trained in boxing...

Just remember that little towing shackle thing, much easier to tie on, and your rope could fall off with just hooks. That could be uncomfortable.
  • VelociMama
    Options

Why not? Yours is infinitely more practical than mine... I just have to grow a waxable mustache and find a bear trained in boxing...

Just remember that little towing shackle thing, much easier to tie on, and your rope could fall off with just hooks. That could be uncomfortable.

drunk-baby-meme-love-this-guy.jpg
  • JonMartinn
    Options
    Definitely look at craigslist/kijiji/whatever directories are popular where you live. You may find people trying to get rid of weight sets for really cheap, or even free. :)
  • Steph_in_FL
    Options
    Try isometrics. I found a GREAT one to straighten your spine. Stand with your back up against the wall. Lift yourself up on your toes. Tighten your buttocks and your tummy, press your shoulders back against the wall and pull your chin in to straighten your neck. Hold for ten seconds, repeat 25 times -- if you can. Believe it or not, it's pretty hard to do it 25 times. Don't forget to breathe!

Also, While sitting in a chair, lift your legs,, cross your arms so that you are holding onto the top of each arm. Now pull your toes back towards you, push against each arm to tighten your chest muscles, all while tightening your tummy and butt muscles. Hold for 10 seconds, repeat 25 times.

I'm telling you, it's hard to keep those core muscles tight while you're doing something else.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    make yourself a sandbag. if you don't plan on throwing it down really hard you can make one for like $10-20.

http://youtu.be/3CPIXtz_vRM

http://youtu.be/8j6yE8LbQTg

This is a good Idea!