Question About Running

Options
I need your help! At the gym, I have been doing the exercise bike, and treadmill for my cardio part of my workout. I want to start running because I would eventually like to run in a Tough Mudder. My question is this, what is a good distance to start running? I know it's not something that can be done overnight and that you have to work up to it, but I was just curious to know what a good distance to start with is

Replies

• 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    There are multiple ways you can start. There are apps like C25K (Couch to 5K), there are training plans online, there are books. The most important thing is just to get out there and do it. Distance isn't that important starting out. Just run outside - MUCH different than the treadmill. Also, make sure to get a good pair of shoes that you are fit for at a running store.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    How long are you on the treadmill for? I would suggest starting off with time, see how far you go and build from there . Many people here will recommend c25k app which trains you to do a 5 km. I like this app too:)

My advice would be start at about 2 to 5 km and slowly build from there. It's not a race and slow and steady is best, enjoy the process. My husband, on the other hand, who is quite competitive would recommend going as far as you can until you feel like death, then build by half a km or so per run. Run three times a week if you can.

I think you'll get lots of different advice on this one:)
  • Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Celo is wise- apps, shoes, books, outside, etc

Also, remember: interval training is actually better for you, cardio- and strength- wise. So even if your runs are "run to 1st light pole, walk to 2nd light pole, run to 3rd light pole, walk to 4th light pole, etc" you are actually doing more for yourself than straight endurance running. And since tough mudder is more challenge than time trial, interval training might be the best thing for you. I'm an endurance runner and am scared to switch to intervals even though I know I should, because I know it's gonna be harder! Should have started with intervals!

GL!
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Celo is wise- apps, shoes, books, outside, etc

Also, remember: interval training is actually better for you, cardio- and strength- wise. So even if your runs are "run to 1st light pole, walk to 2nd light pole, run to 3rd light pole, walk to 4th light pole, etc" you are actually doing more for yourself than straight endurance running. And since tough mudder is more challenge than time trial, interval training might be the best thing for you. I'm an endurance runner and am scared to switch to intervals even though I know I should, because I know it's gonna be harder! Should have started with intervals!

GL!

True story. Interval training is very good for you. Like Chris, I freakin hate it. :grumble:
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You're bound to get several opinions about where to start. So this is just another opinion. About 16 monhs ago I weighed 200 lbs. I didn't like what I saw and struggled with motivation. After watching a reality show , I woke up the next morning and attempted to run three miles. I felt like I was dying. Lol. Since then I have completed 3 marathon, 1 half marathon, a 10k. a 5k. and a Mudrun in which I came in 20th place out of 2,100 competitors.

I use to be a personal trainer years ago. Inaddition to resistance training, I would train clients that had no experience with running by taking them on a test run to see how far they could go. I would then build from there and have them run a block and then walk a block. We'd do this routine three times a week. The following week we'd run two blocks and walk one block and so forth until they were able to run three miles without stopping. The plan was very successful and a couple of my clients became very good runners. One in particular went from not running at all to running 10 miles three times a week in less than 90 days.

Again, I'm no expert and like I said, you're bound to get a whole lot of different ideas. My suggestion is try a few suggestions and then pick one that works for you. You can do it if you put your mind to it.

Good luck with your running.

btw... my current weight is 168 lbs.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    ^ that is impressive Fred4point0:)
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Thanks mandywe. :)
  • conorpatmanCHANGED
    conorpatmanCHANGED Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    1 mile is usually a good place to start
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you are used to but if you are very new, run 10 minutes and walk 10 minutes. Switch off however you see fit.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I started training for my first 5k about 6 weeks ago. My doctor recommended running a tenth of a mile, then fast walk, and switching back and forth every tenth of a mile. I know that would be a pain on the treadmill and look nuts (that's why I run it outside), but she said if I run until exhaustion then it will be impossible to begin running again once I stop running the first time. Basically, switching back and forth maintains good form, keeps your heart rate in range, and keeps your momentum. Of course you can gradually up that amount until it's a straight jog.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you are used to but if you are very new, run 10 minutes and walk 10 minutes. Switch off however you see fit.

I think that's pretty aggressive considering C25K has you running 60 sec/walking 90 sec. the first week. You don't even get into ten minute runs til week 7 of the 9 week program. I think shorter intervals would be better.

I don't use the app; I just have a printout from coolrunning.com for C25K. That program is tried and true. Do it! The other thing to remember is that if a person is aerobically conditioned from say elliptical or swimming, they might not be ready to run a mile or 10 minutes because the impact is so much more. Shin splints are always a possibility, too.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Speaking of shin splints, my other bit of advice would be for any new runner to incorporate shin exercises into his/her program.
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options

Inaddition to resistance training, I would train clients that had no experience with running by taking them on a test run to see how far they could go. I would then build from there and have them run a block and then walk a block. We'd do this routine three times a week. The following week we'd run two blocks and walk one block and so forth until they were able to run three miles without stopping. The plan was very successful and a couple of my clients became very good runners. One in particular went from not running at all to running 10 miles three times a week in less than 90 days.

This would be a great place to start.
    This is why programs like Insanity start out on Day 1 with a Fit Test. I'm sure P90x has a start out test. When you go into physical therapy for a 'check-up' visit they will have you go through certain tests. Running is nooo different.
    This is why in High School everyone had those 'timed' miles and presedential fitness exams (ifyou'repartoftheUS).
    Keeping track of your running shouldn't stop after high school.
    It is so you have an image and you can record and keep track of your improvements. Running goals can be the same way.
    Tough Mudder ranges from 10-12 miles of something or other.
    Tough Mudder is not a timed event.
    Therefore speed doesn't have to be a big influence while you train.
    Test your mileage.
    How far can you go before you feel pretty burnt out?
    After you know the mileage work up towards twelve miles by following any program that I'm sure a lot of people on mfp can offer.

good luck on your running. :)
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    C25K. maybe start at week 4 (the week where you run for 5 mins) and see how you go. if it's too much then back off, if you can do more then skip ahead a week..
    wherever you start the key to improving is consistency.
  • rvansaun
    rvansaun Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks for all the input!!!! I will sort through my different options and figure out what is best for me! I will keep you all updated and let you know how I am doing!!!!