How do YOU make hard boiled eggs???

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I put them in the pot, then put enough water in them to cover the eggs. Then Once it starts boilig, I set the timer for 15 minutes and they're done! Some people boil them a shorter amount of time then that but I don't like the yolk soft so it's perfect for me.

This ^^^

Except I set the time for 10 minutes, then take the pot off the burner and set it again for 5 minutes, then place the eggs in ice water to cool.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    YEP.
    kinda dumb,,,, but i forgive you.
  • Caram281
    Caram281 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Putting the eggs in cold or cool water to start and use salt. It will help them to peel easier.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Funny timing, my friend just sent me this link and tried this recipe for easy eggs... said it's amazing and made peeling a breeze:

Put a baking sheet on the bottom of the oven then place all the eggs you need cooked directly on the oven rack, the baking sheet will catch any broken eggs for easy cleanup ... Bake the eggs at 325°F. for half an hour. Take the eggs out of the oven then put them directly into a big bowl of very cold water (with ice added). This will stop the eggs from cooking and make them easier to peel.

Alton Brown (Food Network) also supports this approach!
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    The easiest method I've found for making hard "boiled" eggs is to set the oven, yes, the oven at 325-330. Place your eggs in a mini muffin tin. Bake the eggs for 30 minutes.Remove from the oven, place the eggs in an ice bath. Once cool, they are perfectly cooked and peel effortlessly.

You can bake several dozens of eggs at one time, which is what I do.

I'm going to try this method today. Seen it mentioned several times lately by different people on different sites.

I just did this- used a couple as *guinea pigs* :laugh:
    Tell ya what- I won't EVER boil AGAIN!
    so much BETTER.... the whites are so much "creamier", not rubbery.

WINNER WINNER WINNER
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Bring water to a boil,add 1Tbspn vinegar and boil for 15 minutes. Cool then peel.
  • ScottishMrs
    ScottishMrs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I leave them in the fridge for at least 5 days, then put them in a covered pot with water about an inch higher than the eggs, bring them to a boil, then simmer them at the very lowest setting for 12 minutes and they come out perfect every time. Never overcooked.

ETA: After that I drain them and fill the pot up with cold water to cool them and make them easier to peel. Also, peeling from the wide end is supposedly helpful because of that airpocket.
  • jheads
    jheads Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I add a teaspoon of baking soda to cold water that is about 1 inch over the eggs
    bring it to a boil
    cut the heat and leave for 10 minutes
    remove eggs, drain and rinse under cold water untill cool enough to touch

The shells should come right off, baking soda passes through the eggshell and helps the albumen to separate from the shell.

Eggs tend to cook best when the temprature is gradualy raised, low and slow all around for any egg dish should provide the best results.
  • sd0104
    sd0104 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Put eggs in saucepan.
    Cover eggs with water plus another 1/2'' of water.
    Optional: add a splash of white vinegar to make egg shells turn their whitest.
    Bring water to boil over medium high heat.
    Boil 15 minutes. Do not reduce heat.
    Drain water.
    Put hot eggs in an ice water bath for 5-10 minutes. This is important! It stops cooking the eggs so the yolks don't turn green and makes the shells come off easier.

PERFECT HARD BOILED EGGS EVERY SINGLE TIME

Exactly how I do mine - minus the vinegar :)
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I put them in cold water, turn the pot on..once it boils (first 2-3 bubbles) shut them off, cover and let sit 12 mins.. then set them in cold water to stop cooking process.. roll on counter top or plate to crack egg and rinse the shell away.. Perfect every time :)
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I just look at them really hard and turn on my laser heat vision for exactly nine seconds.

Boiled eggs so good you'll punch a puppy.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Put eggs in saucepan.
    Cover eggs with water plus another 1/2'' of water.
    Optional: add a splash of white vinegar to make egg shells turn their whitest.
    Bring water to boil over medium high heat.
    Boil 15 minutes. Do not reduce heat.
    Drain water.
    Put hot eggs in an ice water bath for 5-10 minutes. This is important! It stops cooking the eggs so the yolks don't turn green and makes the shells come off easier.

PERFECT HARD BOILED EGGS EVERY SINGLE TIME

Exactly how I do mine - minus the vinegar :)

^Ditto. I tend to use the vinegar if I'm boiling eggs for my godchildren to paint or dye(prevents the shell from cracking). Additionally, I purchase eggs I'll need to hard boil 1 week ahead of need. The closer to the farm the eggs are, the more likely it is to stick to the shell(freshness).
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Start with cold water, so your eggs do not crack. Bring to a boil and then turn off the water. Let the eggs sit for 12 minutes. Take out and put them in an ice bath--makes it easy to peel them. This yields perfect, non-rubbery eggs with no weird greenish brown color on the yolks.

This is how I do it, too for large eggs. Except I add a sprinkle of salt in case they crack. I was told this keeps them from oozing out of the shell if there's a small crack. Don't know if it's true or not.

Or, if I'm in a hurry, I will boil them at a full rolling boil for 8 minutes, run the eggs under cold water to cool them off, then peel them immediately. You don't have rubber yolks with green circles around them with either of these methods. To make egg salad, tuna salad, or chicken salad using boiled eggs, I use a potato masher to "chop" them. It only takes 10 seconds per egg.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    I use my Cuisinart egg maker to make my hard boiled egg. Look into getting one if it's within your budget. It's really nice. I put the eggs in and walkaway. It beeps when it is done.
  • nmtGurl
    nmtGurl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I put mine in an electric tea kettle with 1 tsp baking soda (so eggs peel easier), wait till it turns off (less than a minute.) Set my time for 13 min. Soak in cold water to stop cooking. Peel, eat :-)
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Put eggs in cold water. Place on stove. Heat to boiling, then turn off heat. Leave eggs on stove, set timer for 15 minutes and walk away. Pour out water, add ice and stick in fridge. (Lazy, peel later method.)
    Or peel right away, and devil those ****ers, because devilled eggs are delicious!

...now I need to go make more devilled eggs.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I bake mine in the oven. 350 for 30 minutes
  • Joleen_J2004
    Joleen_J2004 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had seen a post on Pintrest to bake them in the oven at 325 degrees for 20-30 minutes...I did that and it sucked :( The eggs spotted brown, cracked and one even shattered...though I have to admit that the shattered egg that I ate was a lot easier to peel. We'll see how the other eggs turned out, the spots were covered by the dye...
  • vkw1
    vkw1 Posts: 88
    Options
    place eggs in sauce pan with water to cover them well.Turn on the stove bring to boil, then boil 5 mins
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I had seen a post on Pintrest to bake them in the oven at 325 degrees for 20-30 minutes...I did that and it sucked :( The eggs spotted brown, cracked and one even shattered...though I have to admit that the shattered egg that I ate was a lot easier to peel. We'll see how the other eggs turned out, the spots were covered by the dye...

the spots just wipe off :wink: