The Zumba Crew w/o 6-28

Options
Hey all my zumba-holics out there! We are starting a new week! Feel free to check in!

I am still curious about the type of floor that you guys zumba on.... I prefer a wood floor, and the new place where I attended on Friday has a very rubbery, TOO traction-y floor which made my knees hurt! I need some slide factor!

Replies

• MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Are there any good Zumba DVD's?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    New week! Yay!

I currently do zumba on three different kinds of floors: one is a very slick (too slick, IMHO) wood floor, one is a slightly less polished wood floor, and one is in a dance studio with a bouncy rubber that is not "grippy" floor (apparently, this is some sort of space age dance floor). I'm torn, and they all have their things they are better at. I did, however, as soon as I started, have knee trouble. I had to get shoes that had a combination of cushioning and less traction. I found that my feet would grip when I was trying to turn and I torqued my right knee pretty badly.

Not sure if that helps. I find that on the slipperiest floor, I have to fight it a bit...like when we're doing plie type squats, my feet keep getting farther and farther apart. No fun.

Great class yesterday, with massive calorie burn. It's all about the song tempos (fast vs. slow) and lack of long water/instructional breaks in between songs.

:flowerforyou:
  • theatremack
    Options
    I'm fairly new on here, but I LOVE TO ZUMBA!! I tried it at a Zumbathon and now I just do it in the privacy of my own home. I would like to try a class sometime, I think it would add to the excitement.

I just finished doing my Zumba this morning. My favorite songs seem to be at the end of the DVD's so it helps keep me motivated to get there and then I can really push myself to do the moves and work off the calories when I do!!!
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    Wood floors with the Z1 Zumba Shoes....perfect!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I find any spinning moves a bit difficult, but I'm on a wooden gym floor (it's held on a basketball court in the community center) and I wear my running sneakers. I'm not into it enough to bother with zumba shoes or anything. I just consider it an extra workout when I have to spin... lol
  • lesliejsilva
    lesliejsilva Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love zumba!! My favorite instructor just left to go to another gym :(:(
    Does anyone do it at home?? Do you really do it? I am terrible with working out at home b/c if I get tired I sit down lol
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    I find any spinning moves a bit difficult, but I'm on a wooden gym floor (it's held on a basketball court in the community center) and I wear my running sneakers. I'm not into it enough to bother with zumba shoes or anything. I just consider it an extra workout when I have to spin... lol

Running sneakers are just about the worse shoe you can wear for Zumba, way to much grip can cause injuries. You might want to look through your shoes and see if you have any older shoes with worn down tread to be safe.

Edited to add: I hope that didn't come off harsh, I just would hate for you to get hurt. Another option is, just lift your feet instead of trying to do any sliding type movements where your shoes would stick. :flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    I love zumba!! My favorite instructor just left to go to another gym :(:(
    Does anyone do it at home?? Do you really do it? I am terrible with working out at home b/c if I get tired I sit down lol

I have to confess that I work harder in a class. I do the DVDs when I can't get to a class, and I don't get anywhere near the calorie burn I get from an actual class. Sorry, sad but true.:cry:
  • SillySkittles
    SillySkittles Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Starting Zumba classes this week on Tuesdays and Thursdays! The last time I've been to a class was well over a year ago! Eek! The gym where I take the class also have an odd, rubbery-like floor, I guess to help with impact, but it's definitely not slide/shimmy friendly either!
  • fitmommy1
    fitmommy1 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hey zumba fans. I am new to this forum but I love Zumba. I have the DVD's you can get from Zumba.com. I love them. They come with a dvd to breakdown it step. I did these before I started taking the class and on alot of the moves I did them better then the instrutor. I take the class twice a week but I would like to find a new instructor. She is nice but I need someone with a little more excitment. I love Gina Grant, Tanya Beardsley, Maria Browning, and of course Beto. My instructor tends to put to much ballet dance stuff in. She is a ballet teacher which is fine. But I need to get me some good cha cha going. Ya dig. I'm thinking about getting certified and teaching. By the way, I do it on a wood floor and its fine.
  • DivaMuscle
    DivaMuscle Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm a weekly Zumba addict - my local gym does classes and if I cant get in (it's massively oversubscribed) then I break out the Zumba dvd's.

Most if not all of my weight loss is down to Zumba - and I love it! When I'm down to my goal weight I'm thinking about teaching it as well... like I said addict :wink:
  • russ1220
    russ1220 Posts: 58
    Options
    Does anyone know how many calories you can burn in an hour of Zumba? There is nothing listed under exercise to calculate calories burned.
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Does anyone know how many calories you can burn in an hour of Zumba? There is nothing listed under exercise to calculate calories burned.

It varies a lot for me. In a not-too-demanding class, about 400 calories an hour. In a crazy hard (I mean CARAZY hard) class, about 1100.

The closest match is "dancing, general" in the exercise database.
  • oomalmal
    oomalmal Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hello Zumba fans. I didn't get to go to my class yesterday, but I played my Zumba playlist on my ipod (all songs my instrutors use) and managed to get in an awesome calorie burn and added 15 mins of strength training. However I already have my bag packed for my class after work tomorrow. Can't wait for it. It definately wasn't as fun by myself like with the whole class screaming, grunting, and going Woo! Woo! Woo!

See ya later peeps!
  • supergirlie00
    Options

I was wondering the same thing! I know I blasted more than 400 calories because I went to a Zumba toning class and did lunges.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Hey all my zumba-holics out there! We are starting a new week! Feel free to check in!

I am still curious about the type of floor that you guys zumba on.... I prefer a wood floor, and the new place where I attended on Friday has a very rubbery, TOO traction-y floor which made my knees hurt! I need some slide factor!

I like hardwood floor the best!

My fav instructor teaches a donation based zumba but it's in a school gym. In the summer, the floor gets REALLY slippery with condensation...which is totally gross. This is the only time I'll rock old running sneaks so I don't fall!

In the winter, I just wear Pumas.
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Great class today! My instructor went to a refresher course this past weekend, and had all kinds of cool new choreography, especially arm movements. I almost wore my weighted gloves today, and was really glad I didn't. Major up in the calorie department.

Also, the instructor was late, and some of the ladies in class said "Alright, you have to lead us if she doesn't show." :blushing: I secretly loved this compliment, big time!

ZZZZZZUMMMMMMBAAAA! (yay.)
  • Songsu
    Songsu Posts: 3
    Options
    I am new to fitness Pal and to this forum. I was excited to find a thread for Zumba. I love Zumba. I am trying to attend three days a week at 24 hour fitness. The instructors are amazing. It is a sweat fest. I am presently looking for Nike Shox dance sneakers. They are suppose to be great for Zumba. Has anyone tried them or heard of them?
  • SillySkittles
    SillySkittles Posts: 202 Member
    Options

Using my HRM, the highest I've burned has been in the 500's. Then again, my HRM is dependent on me actually taking the time to put my fingertips over the sensors so it can check my heartbeat and calculate calories burned, so it could probably be higher, but I like to use lower numbers.
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I am with Viv about the calories burned. On a regular, not so high impact day, it is around 500, but on a crazy hard day (seriously hard) I have gotten over 1000 in the past.

So glad so many people are in on this thread! We had a good class yesterday and my instructor threw in some new dances that she has been working on, including my favorite, bollywood inspired ones! The class is getting better each time! I finally got my dvds in the mail, so now it is time to try them out!