Calorie requirements post surgery?

Options
debs6
debs6 Posts: 232 Member
After maintaining at my goal weight for a year ( having lost 45 kilos or 100 lbs) I am scheduled to have a body lift in 11 days time. Clearly I don't want to put on weight while I am recovering from the surgery - so I am interested in finding out about calorie intake during recuperation. I will be unable to exercise much at all for six weeks - but I have read in some sites that there is an increased calorie requirement following surgery to enable healing. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• debs6
    Options
    Bump
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    If your nutritional guidelines are working, make sure you stay on goal with the protein the post surgery guidelines for protein stay the same, take vitamins , etc .
    and cuddle the westie some more !!

RNY post op - 8 years, and re working everything
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Your body will use a LOT of energy just in the process of healing.

When I was recuperating from having both knees replaced I certainly wasn't doing much exercising except for PT, but over 3 months I lost about 35 pounds.

I'd say just watch what you eat, make sure you get lots of protein in your balanced diet, and get lots of rest.

Good luck - and feel better soon!
  • mywowgirl
    mywowgirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Your surgeon would be a good person to ask. Also, see if the hospital has a dietitian that can help.
  • debs6
    Options
    Thanks people- I certainly will be asking my surgeon - but it is great to hear from people who have been through it themselves:)