Can one day of bad eating cause weight gain ?

Options
2»

Replies

• 240Z
    240Z Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It's not just the sodium. Replenishment of glycogen stores in the liver and muscles from a calorie excess has a big water requirement to store it. The good news is, a body replenished with glycogen can really have a great workout the next day.
    As the glycogen is depleted, the water is released as well.
  • JessicaN1979
    JessicaN1979 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    It takes 3500 calories to gain 1 pound or a deficit of 3500 calories to lose 1 pound.
  • michelleesther
    michelleesther Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Salty foods are usually the culprit for my overnight weight gains.
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    One day (as long as it says one day :-) ) can't really derail any of the good work you have done. Effects of one day should be gone in less than a week, tops
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Dfonte, your binge diet is scaring me!

I don't really binge, I just eat whatever I want every now and then.

Keep in mind I'm active. For example, yesterday I was over my goal by 2300 calories. My goal is set at maintenance for not being active at all and I don't log exercise. I went to the gym 2 times yesterday, and again this morning so that 2300 is deceiving if you just look at my diary. I can't eat **** like that all the time anyways because it hurts my performance which I value.
  • shabs84
    shabs84 Posts: 3
    Options
    Like others said, drink lots of water to help flush out your system. One day of bad eating won't ruin your progress just like one day of good eating won't get you in shape. :) It's okay to indulge sometimes! Don't feel bad about it. Just get back to your healthy lifestyle and keep moving forward!
  • Bane81
    Bane81 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Having a cheat meal or cheat day once in a while isn't that bad. Yes if you check the scale immediately the next day you might notice an increase, but weight shifts as much as up to 5 lbs throughout the day. I usually just do 1 cheat meal a week on the day of my weigh in. This gives me a full week to get my weight back in order.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Salty foods are usually the culprit for my overnight weight gains.

keyword "weight".... not fat... so it dont mean a ting....

I know you didnt mean fat... i just wanna reiterate whats been said multiple times above
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    No it will not derail your downward momentum. We all need to indulge ourselves once in a while. I think of those days as a reward for doing as well as I have.

This is dangerous/risky behavior to reward yourself with food. It's like a big problem to have if you are trying to move away from being an emotional eater.

If you are restricting yourself to the point that point, you will most likely fall back into bad habits once you stop the restrictions since you are using it during the weight loss phase. Best approach is moderation eat whatever just in small and reasonable amounts.
  • crawfishag
    crawfishag Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I personally plan to go over to the dark side from time to time. I will through a get together, get a keg of beer, smoke briskets and ribs and not give a damn. When I get the house clean afterwards I get my diet clean as well and I'm back on track. It works for me and I don't worry about it. I haven't found one day or even one weekend makes that much of a difference.
  • amonroy3
    amonroy3 Posts: 1
    Options
    I hope not!