Replies

• ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    30 grams
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    and not breaking out the fiber from the total doesn't make sense. your body can't digest fiber so it doesn't add either to calories or to your carb intake.
  • fantasticelastic
    fantasticelastic Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thats the book I read that got me started on all this... Fantastic book and it was free on Kindle
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I try to stay under 100g/day, and usually manage between 50-70g/day.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Depends on how I'm feeling and if I want to be in ketosis or out of it... Sometimes 20 (not including fiber) and sometimes 80+
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

no joke.

for me that's low-carb. 25% of my intake, but I'm also trying to gain. Normally at 3000 cal, my carbs are around 180g

(also, as someone who eats a primal diet and supports the lifestyle, this thread makes me cringe a bit... 100-150g of carbs, cool. sub-100 though... especially sub 50... i really don't know why people do it TBH)
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Eating too low carbs will harm your body eventually, your body needs carbs to function properly. forget about keeping them low and just eat the good carbs from fruits and veg.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    .....I think all carbs are getting a bad rap, when it's starchy or processed carbs that are the real culprits.

I 100% agree with that. I keep my carbs around 40% of my total calories...some more restricted than the average joe out there I'm sure...but the whole no carb/low carb craze reminds me a lot of the no fat craze of the 80s.

No way I could really go super low on my carbs...I love my very nutrient dense berries and fruit too much....

I think it's possible to get all of the nutrients you need doing LC...but most people I know who do LC don't...they don't make up for the nutrients they are lacking from not eating fruit and the like.
  • bluebirdlx
    Options
    Can I ask everyone, when you lower your carbs, at what percentage or grams do you set your fat and protein? I tried to use a formula someone posted for calculating macros but it doesn't seem accurate once I lower my carbs to 10%.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I am curious how many of the low carb'ers track their potassium, sodium and calcium consumption? In Lyle McDonald's rapid fat loss book he discusses that it easy to get your electrolytes out of whack on a low carb plan. Another guy I know and respect suggested this to me a while ago and after I started tracking them I did find that mine were low. Supplementing with magnesium daily was another thing a fellow recommended and it has made a difference.

Just thought I would share.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I am curious how many of the low carb'ers track their potassium, sodium and calcium consumption? In Lyle McDonald's rapid fat loss book he discusses that it easy to get your electrolytes out of whack on a low carb plan. Another guy I know and respect suggested this to me a while ago and after I started tracking them I did find that mine were low. Supplementing with magnesium daily was another thing a fellow recommended and it has made a difference.

excellent point.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Eating too low carbs will harm your body eventually, your body needs carbs to function properly. forget about keeping them low and just eat the good carbs from fruits and veg.
    Simply untrue. There is absolutely no need for dietary intake of carbohydrate from a biochemical standpoint. None.

This isn't to say carbs are something everyone needs restrict, only those that have a medical/physiological reason to do so.
  • albertabeefy
    Options

There are a few books and websites that do advise ketogenic dieters to ensure their electrolyte levels are monitored, but not enough.

The thing about ketosis that many don't realize is you can actually increase your sodium (and other electrolyte) intake without running into any complications that normally arise from increasing their consumption. Even cardiac patients advised to watch their sodium intake have less to worry about when in ketosis, though monitoring levels is still recommended.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    15 grams per serving, no more then 45 in a meal, plus 15 for each of 2 snacks.
    I was told by a Diabetic Nutritionist.

A daily limit of less than 150 g of carbohydrates is typically considered a low-carb diet. Some low-carb diet plans, however, encourage the consumption of a very low amount of carbohydrates to facilitate weight loss or help correct metabolic derangements such as diabetes or insulin resistance. Very low-carb diets may include less than 20 g of carbohydrates a day, which corresponds to less than 4 percent of your daily calorie intake.

advertisementSponsored Links
    Free Meal Planner
    Hundreds of Fast & Tasty Recipes Learn w/ the Free Recipe Toolbar!
    TotalRecipeSearch.com

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/426550-what-is-considered-a-low-carb-diet/#ixzz2OJ3135Qd

Yes, I agree with this poster. My nutritionist gave me guidelines of 15 carbs for snacks and 30-45 carbs for breakfast and 45-60 carbs for lunch and for dinner. This results in about 185-225 carbs per day. (However, I do a check for net carbs at the end of the day (total carbs minus total fiber). If I am netting less than 130 NET carbs then I eat a cracker or two to get it up. I have problems with headaches and weakness if I get less than 130 net carbs a day.)

I was diabetic with very high blood sugar but I got it under control in just a couple months by eating 5-6 times a day at the above carb levels and now I am totally off medicine and declared normal, non-diabetic. :happy:

And this is not necessarily "low carb" -- I consider this a Moderate Carb way of eating. I also try to ensure that my carbs are healthy and not processed. So I focus on carbs like rice and potatoes rather than pasta, etc. That being said, I have a few healthy-as-possible while still yummy cookies on most days. I'm not on a diet after all, this is my healthy lifestyle and having treats in moderation is important and something I plan to always maintain. :flowerforyou:
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options

Good points. I do track my potassium and sodium (via columns in my diary) and I take calcium supplements twice a day. I don't eat dairy so I know it's important for me.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Simply untrue. There is absolutely no need for dietary intake of carbohydrate from a biochemical standpoint. None.

This isn't to say carbs are something everyone needs restrict, only those that have a medical/physiological reason to do so.

i know you're credible, but do you mind citing this?

while your brain CAN use ketone bodies, it prefers glucose.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I just avoid bread/pasta and flour if I can help it. This makes a huge difference and allows me to consume good carbs.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    i know you're credible, but do you mind citing this?

while your brain CAN use ketone bodies, it prefers glucose.
    First, as mentioned in another post, "preferred" from a biochemical standpoint simply means it will use that source FIRST if available, not that it's better for it in any way.

As for citations:

Metabolic Effects of very-low-carbohydrate diets: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2129159/#B13

Is dietary carbohydrate essential for human nutrition? http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/75/5/951.2.long

Lyle McDonald (who seems highly respected in the MFP community) also makes mention of this here: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/how-many-carbohydrates-do-you-need.html

Lyle also states (and is quite correct) "Even the American Dietetic Association bible, the RDA Handbook, states that there is no requirement for dietary carbohydrates. Any decent nutrition or physiology book will state the same. "

There are endless sources confirming that there is NO dietary requirement for carbohydrate in humans.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    I just avoid bread/pasta and flour if I can help it. This makes a huge difference and allows me to consume good carbs.
    This is one of the best choices for people that don't have a medical reason to cut carbohydrate to very low levels. Simply eliminating (or cutting considerably) refined sources (flour and sugar) will make a very large difference for many individuals.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

That's what I'm talking about. I stay around 20 net carbs, but most of those are coming from salads and veggies. I have cut out processed foods, and I eat no wheat, pasta, rice, or potatos.