Overtraining

Options
2»

Replies

• NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    What most people neglect is the idea of recovery for ligaments and tendons. It's not all about muscular or CNS recovery.

If you don't intelligently program your workouts, you can end up with a kind of RSI. It's not always overtraining in the sense of "practical programming" (the Rip book which delves into this extensively), which is what most lifters think of when they read overtraining.

I was massively into Kung Fu for years and learned the hard way how recovery is important for joints, tendons, ligaments. It goes double where the activity/sport/exercise may involve regular impact ie MA/Boxing/Rugby/etc. I also think running is a massive culprit due to repetitive impact on the knees and hip alignment issues if you do it for long enough without sensible recovery.

Good point. I switched from running 3 or 4 times a week to jump rope 3 or 4 times a week for cardio since I can't jump rope nearly as long as I run. I also can't do it very long continuously so it ends up being more of an interval workout (30 secs jumping, 30 secs rest, repeat for up to 30 minutes total or up to 15 minutes of jumping). I thought this would be better/easier on my body since the workout is shorter than running and I kept injuring myself running. As of 6 weeks ago, I also do 3 days a week of Body By You, which is You Are Your Own Gym for women, and it kicks my butt every time. I continue to progress in both jumping (I'm up to 65 jumps in each 30 sec interval from 50) and in the strength categories in this program. I'm losing weight slowly and inches. I just can't stand feeling so awful all the time. Used to feel like a rock star after I'd work out, tired, but awesome. Now I just feel awful and I'm so irritable all the time. And I feel like I'm starving so I end up going over my calorie limits (1700) anyway.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I agree with the underfed statement, completely.

However...
    Overtraining isn't something that most of the people on this website are in danger of. It takes a lot more than you would think to reach a state of overtraining.

I find that to be a false statment, mainly because new people are coming to this website all the time and I am seeing a lot of injury questions as of late, mainly because people fail to take rest days and are pushing themselves too hard too fast. It actually doesn't take much at all to injure yourself and set yourself back when you first start out.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Overtraining isn't something that most of the people on this website are in danger of. It takes a lot more than you would think to reach a state of overtraining.

Good perspective from Layne Norton here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K1GStV46Ck
    Thanks for the link, thought I'd seen all of his vlogs guess I missed one lol
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I've often posted, overtraining is usually better thought of as "under recovering."

If someone's body is sore and achy all the time and if they are failing to meet their intended workouts, the problem is often that the workouts are too close together for their duration and level of intensity. The person needs to rest the muscles (and the supporting systems) and eat enough to get the fuel and repair materials to be ready for the next workout.

Of course, the subtle message there is about planning: if your workouts are being planned in some way, it gives you both goals to hit and an idea of when things are going awry.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I learned the hard way that I need to take my rest days. It's tough because I really want to do yoga every day, dance every day, lift four times a week, and do cardio every day. Exercise, especially everything except the strength training, makes me feel mentally great. However, my joints do not always agree.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options

Honestly, I think most people who might consider themselves "overtrained" are really simply UNDERFED. Now, if they were eating enough calories to support their activities, then this wouldn't happen. I see far, FAR too many people claiming 500+ calories burned daily while they are netting 1000 or less calories, and then they wonder why they have some of the above symptoms.

Agree!
  • DiabolicBooger
    DiabolicBooger Posts: 198 Member
    Options

FACT ^ This original post will be harmful to far more people than it will be helpful.....This post will be used as an excuse to be lazy. I have excuse vision...i see excuses before they arrive.....Cant argue with results......Suck it.....
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Wow this is a great post... I am going through most of these symptoms ...thank you very much..I thought I was failing...
  • Bownzi
    Options
    Wow this is a great post... I am going through most of these symptoms ...thank you very much..I thought I was failing...

Note please know I will not fail to do exercises... But will study the types of exercises,to enhance my workout program...
  • Bownzi
    Options

For the most part you might be correct...but if some of us are recovering from surgeries we could fall into the over training and doing more harm than good... The problem is most people on this site are seriously attempting to get in shape.., and have nothing else to fall back on..
  • NCchar130
    Options

FACT ^ This original post will be harmful to far more people than it will be helpful.....This post will be used as an excuse to be lazy. I have excuse vision...i see excuses before they arrive.....Cant argue with results......Suck it.....

I see your point. But whether it's overtraining, underfeeding, or something else entirely, if the points in the original article I posted apply to someone, I would think making some sort of change to what they're doing is in order, if the goal is to get to a normal weight, increase fitness, and become healthier overall. Spending months being sick, injured, and exhausted shouldn't be a requirement to achieve those goals. People can find always find excuses not to work out.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    People who are recovering from surgeries should know better not to exercise more than a couple days a week anyway...
  • Bownzi
    Options
    People who are recovering from surgeries should know better not to exercise more than a couple days a week anyway...

True, although I checked with my Doc and he said to go for it as. Long as I don't over over do it.... I really want to get well....
  • Soosannah
    Soosannah Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Bump because its interesting
  • lotushead
    lotushead Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! You should probably mention somewhere though that those aren't your own words in addition to providing the link at the bottom. Otherwise it sounds like YOU wrote the article and then are linking people to more information from the original source. When in fact you just copied and pasted. Which is fine! But should be mentioned.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    bumping for later...
  • NCchar130
    Options
    Thanks for the info! You should probably mention somewhere though that those aren't your own words in addition to providing the link at the bottom. Otherwise it sounds like YOU wrote the article and then are linking people to more information from the original source. When in fact you just copied and pasted. Which is fine! But should be mentioned.

I thought that was implied, sorry.
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing this :)
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Bump...

I'm exhausted, mentally and physically, yet find that I'm awake every couple hours at night.
    My knees hurt, and my hips are way too tight.
    My shoulders keep popping out of joint and I'm not training them more than usual.
    Despite my elevated calorie burning, I'm not too hungry, and my heartburn has returned with a vengeance.

I think I might be over training at the moment... Time to take a step back and have a taper week.