Problem Pooping

Options

Replies

• kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    you can get an enema at the drug store. works like mad! like others have said: water, prune juice, coffee, some fats somewhere in there, but when all else fails, an enema is where it's at.
  • stephanieadorman
    stephanieadorman Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any new medicine? Pain-killers have the anti-poop effect.
    Or vitamins high in iron can also do that.

When you get it sorted out, I fully expect a celebratory post (without pics).

The only thing I took different was that I have a cold so I took some airborn vit c stuff to get rid of it... maybe that's it? ughhhh if that's the case how do i fix it?!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Hello, this is probably gonna be TMI for most of you, but you know, where else can I go?!

So a week ago, I weighed in at 183.2. Over the course of that week I've be maintaining around 1200 - 1500 calories a day, and working out 5x a week at Title Boxing (which burns around 1,000 calories a class.)

Assuming that, I should be down at least 2lbs this week - but I'm not. I actually gained and I'm at 184.4. It's easy to say that it's muscle weight, but here's the real issue I think..

I haven't pooped in a week. :( I have my daily intake of fiber, I am eating healthy, but for some reason there's a super backlog in me. (And here's where it gets REALLY TMI...) I feel the poop! It's like right there, trying to come out, but no matter how long I sit and try - it won't come out.

I don't know what to do. I'm about ready to order a Papa Johns pizza because I know my lactose intolerance will kick in and turn my stomach upside down, but I don't want to blow my diet on that.

Ideas?

Wait. So you're eating 1200 calories and burning 1000? YOUR BODY HAS NOTHING TO POOP OUT.

Eat 2000 calories, then you'll poop.
  • kcrxgirl
    kcrxgirl Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I sympathize. I think it's the high protein diet. Try drinking lots of water and have a fiber bar, or maybe 2 (I like the Fiber One 90 calorie chocolate chip cookies). If you're ready for medication start with something gentle like docusate or Senna S. Miralax is also a good option but you have to buy a big jug of it. Whatever you decide to try, start with the lowest dose and wait 8-12 hours. If no results you can try another dose or a different medication.
    Good Luck!
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    You need some fat too to keep your system working properly. I noticed that you hardly eat any. Also, are you not eating your exercise calories at all? You should.

Um... I eat plenty. I just eat low cal / fresh veggies / etc. I have like 6 meals a day.

um...you are not netting 1200 calories. That is not plenty. And 29 grams of fat is low.
  • LittleMissRainey
    LittleMissRainey Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Black licquorice - I swear by it!

You're welcome. Feel better! :flowerforyou:
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Milk of Magnesia. You're welcome :drinker:
  • stephanieadorman
    stephanieadorman Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Wait. So you're eating 1200 calories and burning 1000? YOUR BODY HAS NOTHING TO POOP OUT.

Way TMI - but I know my body has something to poop out because if I stick my finger up there - it's there.... :-P

Maybe an enema is the way to go :(
  • jestersand
    jestersand Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have such a slow digestive system, it depresses me, but I have been in that spot before. I took a magnesium laxative to clear it out. After that, I was told to include a spoonful of Olive oil in my meals, extra juicy veggies, and at times I used a huge bowl of shredded lettuce, but flatulence was horrible. I'm a chemist, so I just blamed it on the Sulfide we use LOL. Slow poopers need to up their roughage. Oh, the last trick that worked for me too was a bowl full of steams broccoli before my dinner.

recently I have taken high protein Boost Shakes for lunch and they help me stay regular daily, but the sugar content is ridiculous. It's like 33g for one shake. If I can find one that has less sugar I will be forever happy with my colon.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Tablespoon of mineral oil once a day
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    You can have too much fiber! 20-30g per day I'm Ok. Over or under I'm not. Could you be overdoing the fiber? Sometimes you can have too much of a good thing!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

Way TMI - but I know my body has something to poop out because if I stick my finger up there - it's there.... :-P

Well, technically you are still eating, so there's something there. But seriously. You're netting 200-500 calories a day. I would BET you $50 if you ate 2000-2500 calories (easily your maintenance) You'd have no problem.
  • n_rockey
    n_rockey Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Well, looking at the few days of history you have in your diary I would say that you need to up your fat intake. Fat in you diet has the effect of greasing up the intestines and getting things moving again. Also, I don't know if you aren't drinking water, or if you just aren't logging it, but make sure you drink plenty. If you're at all dehydrated things will tend to back up.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough fluids? Also why not start taking a probiotic and deffinatly some prune juice. Or could eat a lot of nuts that always makes me run for the bathroom
  • ZETAZEN
    ZETAZEN Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Drink more water. Then if nothing happens...drink a nice cup of Smooth Move tea about an hour before going to bed. In the morning, you should be rushing to the restroom.
  • blu_eyed1
    blu_eyed1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try to supplement with Magnesium Citrate (one of the most absorbable forms of magnesium). Also Ayurvedic herb Triphala can do wonders. Drink extra water.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any new medicine? Pain-killers have the anti-poop effect.
    Or vitamins high in iron can also do that.

When you get it sorted out, I fully expect a celebratory post (without pics).

The only thing I took different was that I have a cold so I took some airborn vit c stuff to get rid of it... maybe that's it? ughhhh if that's the case how do i fix it?!

Just thought I'd mention it would be unlikely to be any tablets taken unless you were taking them regularly for a long time. I had problems with constipation as I was and am still taking a load of painkillers for a lump in my kidney. It took me about two months of taking them regularly before I suffered with constipation due to them dehydrating me. This was last January and I'mm still taking the pills but don't suffer, I increased my calories, make sure I get enough fat and fibre but I also use macrogol to even me out.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I would say to eat ten prunes with some water or use a suppository. I'm not trying to be condescending when I tell you this, but my two-year-old son gets constipated all the time, and occasionally I will use the Fleet liquid suppository (sometimes you have to ask the pharmacist for it, though my CVS has it on the shelf). It's pre-lubrucated, and you just (sorry, this is gross) squirt it up there. Comes with a cap for "clean" throw-away. The regular suppositories require you to get incredibly close to a, um, very tight area.

In the future you should up your water intake, plus consider eating prunes regularly. You also may want to try Miralax, which they sell in generic three-packs super cheaply at Costco. It's polyethylene glycol, which is colorless/odorless/tasteless, and you add it to a drink. It's an osmotic laxative, which means that it draws water to the bowels and helps keep everything moving (in other words, it's not a stimulant, so you shouldn't get cramps). It's not very helpful when you're already backed up, but it's good to keep everything clear.

My dad's a pediatrician, and he always tells me that when my son is backed up, it's most effective to tackle the issue "from the bottom up," meaning suppository, then Miralax/pear juice/prunes/prune juice as preventative measures.
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I had this happen a few months ago got so bad I had to go to ER .
    It can rip the taint ( aint ya *kitten* and aint ya balls)
    Milk of mag works if all else fails enema you dont want to damage that area
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options

If you can feel it with a finger, doesn't that mean it's close enough to the point of exit that you WOULDN'T need to check? -_-