Anyone tried the 5:2 diet or intermittent fasting diet?

Options
I've heard a lot about it, eat normally for 5 days, restrict down to 500 calls for 2 days. (Normal day being 2000cals, not crazy binge days!)

Has anyone tried it? If so how did you find it?

Replies

• mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'm doing something similar to those eating plans...and its working great....
    day one and two I eat a very high protien/low fat/low carb...only consuming maybe 1200-1400 cals per day...these days suck...egg whites chicken/turkey breast/tuna lots of greens..yuck...after my last meal on the second day..which is usually 5pm...I fast(IF) for 24 hrs...so on the third day I eat one meal at 5 pm...consuming 700-900 cals...not to exceed 1000/very low in fat/moderate carb/protien/high fiber---I eat like 9 oz of chicken breast/greens/black beans/rice or sweet potatoe...days 4-6...high fat/protien/moderate cabs(100g or less) consuming 2100-2400 cals on those days..day 7 I carb load eating about 2400 cals
  • StephanieCo3
    StephanieCo3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I just started it and lost 2 lbs the first week. I joined a group on MFP dedicated to it and there's lots of info and success stories. I really like it as something I could do long term. So far it seems to be a good choice for me, but again, I'm only a week in.

I actually found it because I was wanting to kick off my diet with a few days of a liquid diet or some sort of fast, but then I found it when googling and decided I was interested. Then I came to the forums here and saw stuff about it so I decided I'd definitely try it for the month of April and see how it goes.
  • bellyboosmom
    bellyboosmom Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    There are countless threads and even groups dedicated to the 5:2. I would suggest searching 5:2 under General Diet and Weight Loss and the under the group search.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    These methods are good if you can stomach it *pun intended!*, you would have to have a very strong mindset and gut because on the restricted days/ fasting period - your stomach will be rumbling in hunger - fasting moreso! Intermittent fasting is good that you can eat all your meals in one sitting and you don't have to worry about eating any other time but its also a risk taker, if you can't control the hunger before hand you could potentially binge big time! Also it may affect your overall metabolism!
  • mechelemc
    mechelemc Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I did a trial run of a fasting day it really wasn't bad. I am going to go full 5:2 in the next few days as I have been off and I think it will be easier when I am stuck at work. I'll keep you posted. My mom's done it for 3 months now and has lost like 25 lbs. :)
  • newme2105
    newme2105 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am doing 5:2 and in 4 weeks have lost 13.5 lb. I haven't found the hunger level terrible and I don't believe it will damage my metabolism - as long as I eat normally the ohter 5 days. The NHS are even studying it - look at the Genesis project in Wythenshawe Manchester for a start....
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think it just all depends on how you can do it. There are groups on here for them, and I am not against it as long as they aren't taking the fasting into over drive and trying to end up looking like Ghandi. I couldn't do it lol...I love to eat. I have just cleaned my eating up and eat a lot less processed stuff which has helped me a lot (I get to eat more! At least that is what my brain thinks anyway).

BTW...THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU STARTING BECOMING A RUNNER AND THEY GET STUCK INSIDE AT WORK. You start replying to threads just to reply to threads lol.

Sorry...lol...I good now lol.