Running

Options
Hey everyone, I finished my first week of Couch to 5k. Now on to week two. The only problem I came across is that my hips and knees and legs start hurting A LOT while I'm running. Day 1 was fine, Day 2 and Day 3 were killers. It hurt to walk afterward, but it went away after an hour or so. I'm wondering if this is just because my body is so NOT used to running that the impact was hurting me? Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks

Replies

• happy_heather121
    happy_heather121 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I have been having the same problem. I have been training for a 4.2 mile race for a little over a month now and my hips and thighs have really been hurting too. Along with my knees.

I think this is just a part of doing something new but some advice that I like is to "push through annoyance, not through pain". Does is really kill? Or is it an annoying sort of feeling? I also started taking glucosamine every day to help my joints and it seems to be working too.

Good luck!
  • oohnee1
    oohnee1 Posts: 34
    Options
    It hurts, but I'm able to push through it. I'm def not gonna give up because this is something I really want. I just wasn't sure if it was good to push my self through it. I do have some glucosamine at home so I could try that out too. Thanks for the advice!
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I did C25K for 5 weeks. Had to stop due to knee pain. I think I have a problem with my form/stride so running is out for me. It's been two weeks and my knee still hurts. Icing it everyday. If you have pain, you shouldn't push through it cause it could be making it worse. I've tried running before with the same results but this is my finale because it's taking too long to recover this time.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I'm doing something like the C25K program too and the first day after I ran my hips were SO sore. They weren't used to the impact it seemed. I had been using the elliptical regularly before running so my legs weren't sore at all. I think it's your body adjusting to the impact, since it is a constant pounding on your joints. The soreness in my hips went away, but I also only run twice a week. I gave it 2 days to recover and the next time I ran I was fine.
  • shagybear33
    shagybear33 Posts: 272
    Options
    Hi!

When I first started running I hurt really bad too. My hips, legs, bum, back...you name it. I ended up taking Ibuprofen before bed on the nights that I ran because I coudln't sleep otherwise because the aches in those areas would just keep me awake.

My family doctor was organizing the C25K here and I mentioned to her a few times how sore I was and because I had NEVER done anything like that it was just going to take some time for my body to adjust.

She was right. About two months into running, I was able to complete a 5K race and with no pain!! Even now when I don't run for a few weeks and then run, the pain still is NOT there.

Unless you are in a lot of pain, such as an injury, just keep going!! It will get better and easier!!

Have a great day!!
  • wendytobin
    wendytobin Posts: 208
    Options
    well done with starting the running, great thing to do.

the pain could be due to your body not used to the running and it is putting pressure on parts of the body you nomally wouldnt use. if you feel the pain while running maybe best to walk / jog for a bit then carry on running, hopefully after a few days the pain should go away.

the other reason could be - have you had your gait analysed for your running shoes, this is a big thing to make sure you have the correct fitting shoes, as this can cause injury / discomfort with the wrong sort of shoes.

hope this helps and the pain goes away - send me a friend request if you would like any support with your running
  • allim
    allim Posts: 21
    Options
    As an avid runner with back issues I have some tips for you that help me out allot with hip, knee and back pain.
    1) Glucosamine - try to take 1500 mg per day
    2) Stretching- this is obvious, we all have heard it, but it truly is very important to stretch pre and post run. Especial hip opening stretches that get into the hard to reach areas. Yoga has a few different hip stretches that I find useful
    3) Run on the asphalt as much as possible- avoid the concrete side walks as they do not offer your joints enough "give" when you pound the pavement
    4) Good Running Shoes- they should be replaced every season if you run allot
    5) lots and lots of water
    6) If all else fails.... run a hot bath with Epsom salts, pour yourself a glass of wine to wash down some liquid Advil’s! (LOL!)
  • lisajuly
    lisajuly Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    It could definitely be your body adjusting, but I just wanted to make sure you are wearing running shoes and not cross trainers or "regular" (tennis, etc.) sneakers. Running shoes are made to absorb some of the impact. Also, if you are running outside, please do NOT run on sidewalks. It's much harder on your body, ESPECIALLY your knees. The road/asphalt has a little more give to it.

Good luck.
    Lisa
  • oohnee1
    Options
    Yeah, I think I will keep trying and if it worsen then I'll stop. But like I said the soreness goes away after an hour or so, it doesnt stick around. But maybe I do need more recovery time in between workouts.
  • oohnee1
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!!!

As an avid runner with back issues I have some tips for you that help me out allot with hip, knee and back pain.
    1) Glucosamine - try to take 1500 mg per day
    2) Stretching- this is obvious, we all have heard it, but it truly is very important to stretch pre and post run. Especial hip opening stretches that get into the hard to reach areas. Yoga has a few different hip stretches that I find useful
    3) Run on the asphalt as much as possible- avoid the concrete side walks as they do not offer your joints enough "give" when you pound the pavement
    5) lots and lots of water
    6) If all else fails.... run a hot bath with Epsom salts, pour yourself a glass of wine to wash down some liquid Advil’s! (LOL!)
  • lisajuly
    lisajuly Posts: 240 Member
    Options

LOL, looks like we were posting at the same time. Great minds... :drinker:
  • oohnee1
    Options
    well done with starting the running, great thing to do.

the pain could be due to your body not used to the running and it is putting pressure on parts of the body you nomally wouldnt use. if you feel the pain while running maybe best to walk / jog for a bit then carry on running, hopefully after a few days the pain should go away.

the other reason could be - have you had your gait analysed for your running shoes, this is a big thing to make sure you have the correct fitting shoes, as this can cause injury / discomfort with the wrong sort of shoes.

hope this helps and the pain goes away - send me a friend request if you would like any support with your running

I hope so too, I've always wanted to be able to run distance, thanks for the support.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    If you are still overweight by the BMI calculator, I recommend doing about 2/3 of your cardio on the elliptical. Most people are limited by the cardio effects of the exercise more than the muscles anyway. It gives you the cardio workout without the beating, but you will have to do both because different muscle groups are used. Your stride is typically longer running than on the elliptical and uses more of your quads and calves. As you shed pounds add in more running. Your knees will thank you for the gradual break in.
  • oohnee1
    Options
    If you are still overweight by the BMI calculator, I recommend doing about 2/3 of your cardio on the elliptical. Most people are limited by the cardio effects of the exercise more than the muscles anyway. It gives you the cardio workout without the beating, but you will have to do both because different muscle groups are used. Your stride is typically longer running than on the elliptical and uses more of your quads and calves. As you shed pounds add in more running. Your knees will thank you for the gradual break in.

I'm not overweight by the BMI calculator, but I am RIGHT at the line. I'm just under the overweight line. But I think this maybe a good idea. Maybe in between my run days I will do the elliptical. Thanks