Blisters when running?

Options
I keep getting blisters on the arch of my foot, i have checked my socks and the inside of my shoe and nothing seems to be there that could be rubbing them, any ideas what could be causing it/how to stop it? Is it the way I run or something like that?

Replies

• MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm getting the same thing but not on my arch's on the big toe and tips of my toes.. Went to the shoe store and the guy told me my shoes were too big, they need to be "snug" if i'm using them for running. Also, he recommended looking into barefoot shoes a lot of companies make them they look weird but they don't give you blisters.. or at-least that's what he told me... I'm gonna look into it.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Make sure your shoes fit well, and get some non-cotton socks.
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My husband bought the same style but newer version of his shoe and it began blistering there. If he switches shoes he doesn't. So I vote its your shoes. Do you have good running socks?
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Try putting moleskin on the areas that are prone to blisters. It's something I use and it works wonders
  • pmkrier
    pmkrier Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've heard you need to get non-moisture socks. The sweat from your feet rubs with your cotton sock creating the blisters.
  • boom1983
    boom1983 Posts: 1
    Options
    You'll have to experiment to see what works best, but you can try: mole skin, liquid band-aid (apply it over the blister or where you get them. If it's an open wound, don't use this), moisture wicking socks work (I use the brand Thorlo, they work great for me and they are made in the USA), or try body glide (this is typically used for chafing, but this has worked for many of my runner friends. Just rub it on the area before putting on your socks and shoes). Good luck!
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Wicking socks should be the first step

If you are into distance running, you need shows that have a thumbs width between your toe and shoe to allow for expansion as your feet swell. Buy shows at the end of the day when you have been on them and use the same socks you will while running.
  • Laura42012
    Laura42012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You need different shoes. DO NOT run on those shoes anymore. Things like blisters while running can snowball into much worse injuries.

Go to a specialty running shop to get help with selecting your shoes.
  • doc800
    doc800 Posts: 148
    Options
    You need different shoes. DO NOT run on those shoes anymore. Things like blisters while running can snowball into much worse injuries.

• doc800
    doc800 Posts: 148
    Options

I know this is a place to help people, but really. I have been an athlete at very high levels and to see stuff like this just makes me roll my eyes. I know we want to help but lets speak about what we really know to help. So many posts about running, much gets passed on by people at running stores who are clueless, really clueless. Then people post here.
  • bmiller211
    bmiller211 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I get the same on my arches and from what I have found it is athletes foot ....when I get this I scrub my feet and use foot spray and it is gone in a day or two!! Don't know if this is your problem...just an idea!:smile:
  • Laura42012
    Laura42012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

I know this is a place to help people, but really. I have been an athlete at very high levels and to see stuff like this just makes me roll my eyes. I know we want to help but lets speak about what we really know to help. So many posts about running, much gets passed on by people at running stores who are clueless, really clueless. Then people post here.

.....the places I go for my running shoes are very much invested in the sport and are athletes themselves. I'm not talking about Foot Locker or whatever place at the mall.

Feel free to complain about other people taking the time to give what they know, all ya want. It accomplishes.....absolutely, nothing.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

What part of her advice are you referring to here? I found it helpful and to the point. I agree that the shoes might need to be replaced, and a real running store is better than the imaginable alternatives. OP's complains of getting blisters in a somewhat unusual spot, which suggests poor shoe fit. Replacing the shoes seems like a good thing to try.

But, OP, I would start with socks.

ETA: also, could it be that you have athlete's foot? Fungal infections present as blister-like lesions on the skin...
  • mikeatmichael
    mikeatmichael Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Shoe fit is most important, but blisters can always develop when you try something new. Just tape over them and keep on running.
  • tenintwenty
    Options
    It's normal to get blisters from running. Try different shoes or a different foot strike. Your feet will probably callus up, and you won't get them as frequently. Runners have gnarly feet for a reason.