100g of Protein a Day?

Options
I was reading a blog somewhere and the writer attributed much of his success to eating 100 grams of protein a day.
Your thoughts?
My diary is currently set to 58 a day by MFP default.

And this is my 100th post :)

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    A good guideline is 1gm protein per. 1lb of lean body mass (which you can figure out via Googke search, I'm not home or I'd dig up a link). So for me when I started out that was 147gm a day! So yeah, 100 seems totally reasonable, and yes, MFP sets it's bar for protein absurdly low.
  • ThorATK
    ThorATK Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    All good in the hood
  • grapegorilla13
    grapegorilla13 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    A good guideline is 1gm protein per. 1lb of lean body mass.

This is what I've read too.
  • jennmariepantoja
    jennmariepantoja Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    hm. thanks for the info!
    Found this link: http://www.medindia.net/doctors/Clinical_cal/lean-body-weight.asp

Looks like I should be having about 120g per day!
  • Julien1251
    Options
  • charliemarie923
    charliemarie923 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    My protein goal is set at 57g . someone in another post told me to only eat 100g or more if i was trying to build muscle...not sure if thats true or not, but 57g of protein is more than ive ever eaten...i usually live off carbs.
  • CariS001
    CariS001 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I would aim for at least 100g.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    1 gram per LBM is a good guideline. MFP's protein and fat defaults are low (IMO) especially if you are lifting or doing serious cardio. I gave myself a protein deficiency and really damaged my nails eating about 40-50 grams a day and seriously exercising a couple hours a day. An "excess" of protein also is not particularly harmful, so long as you don';t have preexisting kidney or liver issues.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You need 0.6 grams per lb of lean body mass to maintain, and only 0.8 to gain (as per the National Strength and Conditioning Association).

The author of that blog most likely thought it was this "100 grams" that helped him, when in fact, it was probably something else - or a combination of other things, and he is giving too much credit to the protein without actually knowing for sure.

That 1 gram per lb. has been spread far and wide, and has very little scientific evidence to back it. That being said, a little excess protein won't hurt.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    My protein goal is set at 57g . someone in another post told me to only eat 100g or more if i was trying to build muscle...not sure if thats true or not, but 57g of protein is more than ive ever eaten...i usually live off carbs.

No, it's not true. You're not going to build significant muscle unless you are eating at a surplus. Even then, in absence of testosterone and opr steroids, women just don't gain muscle mass quickly or easily. a half a pound of muscle per month would be great gain for a chick. Again, let me emphasize- IF she is eating at a SURPLUS. You are actually losing some LBM eating at a deficit.
  • ande1560
    ande1560 Posts: 12
    Options
    Out of curiosity, how do you guys GET that much protein in your diet? Also, is it safe to use 2-3 servings of protein powder per day?
  • jjrichard83
    Options
    hm. thanks for the info!
    Found this link: http://www.medindia.net/doctors/Clinical_cal/lean-body-weight.asp

between 72- 96 grams is fine. If you eat more, don't worry, but no need to use a supplement to get higher
  • jjrichard83
    Options

No, it's not true. You're not going to build significant muscle unless you are eating at a surplus. Even then, in absence of testosterone and opr steroids, women just don't gain muscle mass quickly or easily. a half a pound of muscle per month would be great gain for a chick. Again, let me emphasize- IF she is eating at a SURPLUS. You are actually losing some LBM eating at a deficit.

Not true. You can gain lean mass while losing weight in a deficit. That myth has been busted many times by a number of sources.
  • jjrichard83
    Options
    Out of curiosity, how do you guys GET that much protein in your diet? Also, is it safe to use 2-3 servings of protein powder per day?

I take 2-3 scoops on days I don't get enough from my diet, but I do try to get it though whole foods. I think plant based protein is much healthier than whey protein, so if its a worry, go for a vegan choice. Many people take 4+ scoops daily with no side effect, so you'll be fine.
  • charliemarie923
    charliemarie923 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    hm. thanks for the info!

Sorry to be thick but how did you work out you need 120g from that link?
    All it told me was that my lean body mass is too high and i have an obese body type!! Great booster
  • neonemesis
    neonemesis Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i personally consume 160-176 Grams of protein per day. and i have noticed significant muscle gains.
  • triggsta
    triggsta Posts: 140
    Options
    I eat 188g(ish) of protein a day. 50/30/20 macros. I try to limit protein consumption to only 1-2 scoops of protein powder. Can be hard, but I get to eat lots of eggs and meat so that's pretty awesome.
  • ThorATK
    ThorATK Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Not true. You can gain lean mass while losing weight in a deficit. That myth has been busted many times by a number of sources.

This is true for a novice lifter, not so much for anyone past that point. So it's true to a certain extent
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    yea....at least 100g would be the best...

I take around 140 to 175g a day.
  • grapegorilla13
    grapegorilla13 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Have to plan and spread it out. If your target was 100g/day and you normally eat 3 meals a day then, yup, ~33g/meal.

In two weeks of trying to meet my own quota I've only achieved the goal once. Not sure about taking that much powder in/day, everyday if you're not working out. I try to avoid any more than 2/day. You also need to watch how much calories, sugar, etc. your powder has.