REAL support.

Options
I posted in the introductory boards and I have probably posted here too, looking for "weight loss buddies."
Of course, tons of people raised there hands, "I WILL SUPPORT YOU! WE CAN WORK TOGETHER!"

However, truthfully, I don't talk to ANY of them. They don't talk to me.

I am searching for some people I can get to know and build friendships with, not someone who will have a couple of conversations with me, then vanish.

Honestly, I could use real friends and I'm sure there are other people out there who could use some real friends and some real support too!

I think supporting each other and having people to talk to and rely on is vital when breaking habits and starting a new lifestyle.

If you're one of those people, feel free to post and/or message me!

Replies

• WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    the best way for you to find real support on here is to interact with people in the Chit Chat forum. have fun. show your sense of humor. you'll quickly find people with compatible personalities. friend them. then pay attention to the more serious threads in the other forums. find people who know what they are talking about. beware of the people peddling nonsense. send friend requests to the people who know what they are talking about. build your relationships with these people on your walls. those will become the ones who you can turn to for help. as a general rule, the longer they've been here and the more weight they've lost, the better their advice will be and the more likely they'll be around for a while. the newer folks with few friends and even fewer forum posts are probably the most likely not to be around long. many of the ones who joined in Jan 2013 are "resolutioners" and a lot of them have already given up and won't come back until Jan 2014.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    the best way for you to find real support on here is to interact with people in the Chit Chat forum. have fun. show your sense of humor. you'll quickly find people with compatible personalities. friend them. then pay attention to the more serious threads in the other forums. find people who know what they are talking about. beware of the people peddling nonsense. send friend requests to the people who know what they are talking about. build your relationships with these people on your walls. those will become the ones who you can turn to for help. as a general rule, the longer they've been here and the more weight they've lost, the better their advice will be and the more likely they'll be around for a while. the newer folks with few friends and even fewer forum posts are probably the most likely not to be around long. many of the ones who joined in Jan 2013 are "resolutioners" and a lot of them have already given up and won't come back until Jan 2014.

Fantastic advice. I spent the first six months desperately friending people then the next six months culling my list.

Once you find four or five people you click with and have the same goals as it's worth also interacting with people on their friends list (easy to do by commenting on your friends' newsfeeds). I often find that their friends are also like-minded. And as Winner says, the forums are often an easier place to find people with a similar sense of humour.

Also, have you had a look at the MFP groups? (under the Community tab) You can join and find like-minded people, whether you are using similar eating plans, interested in the same exercise/sport or just live in the same country etc. About half the people on my friends list are runners and/or hikers/climbers. When I have difficulties with my running and climbing (or successes) they are quick to respond on my thread as they have been there, done that and totally understand.
  • itsthatfatgirl
    Options

Fantastic advice. I spent the first six months desperately friending people then the next six months culling my list.

Once you find four or five people you click with and have the same goals as it's worth also interacting with people on their friends list (easy to do by commenting on your friends' newsfeeds). I often find that their friends are also like-minded. And as Winner says, the forums are often an easier place to find people with a similar sense of humour.

Also, have you had a look at the MFP groups? (under the Community tab) You can join and find like-minded people, whether you are using similar eating plans, interested in the same exercise/sport or just live in the same country etc. About half the people on my friends list are runners and/or hikers/climbers. When I have difficulties with my running and climbing (or successes) they are quick to respond on my thread as they have been there, done that and totally understand.

Thanks for the advice! I will certainly look into the groups and start hanging around the chit chat forums! :D
    Seriously appreciate it!
  • kristinacourtney1
    Options
    you know you have me lovely. though i'm finally hopping back on the weight loss wagon.
  • charliemarie923
    charliemarie923 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I posted in the introductory boards and I have probably posted here too, looking for "weight loss buddies."
    Of course, tons of people raised there hands, "I WILL SUPPORT YOU! WE CAN WORK TOGETHER!"

However, truthfully, I don't talk to ANY of them. They don't talk to me.

I am searching for some people I can get to know and build friendships with, not someone who will have a couple of conversations with me, then vanish.

Honestly, I could use real friends and I'm sure there are other people out there who could use some real friends and some real support too!

I think supporting each other and having people to talk to and rely on is vital when breaking habits and starting a new lifestyle.

If you're one of those people, feel free to post and/or message me!

I have added you :)