Quiting sugar...

Hi Guys!

I'm out to quit sugar tomorrow and am keen to connect with others trying to do this as well.

I know it's going to be really hard in the first week, so my thought is to maybe post instead of eat... sweets that is!

Replies

• andrewknightwales
    andrewknightwales Posts: 6 Member
    Can be really difficult. Am not quitting sugar but trying am cutting down. Already starting to feel withdrawal symptoms, mainly headaches! You forget how much it is like a drug!
  • jade2112
    jade2112 Posts: 272 Member
    It is tough to quit but after a bit you'll actually be a bit disgusted if you eat something really sugary. It will almost be cloying in your mouth.
  • jeep1lover
    jeep1lover Posts: 15 Member
    I sorta made the same goal for the week. Prosessed foods, foods in boxes, cans an packages are loaded with hidden sugars, salt and empty calories. My goal is to eat Fresh lean meats, freash fruit and fresh vegetables. Good luck!
  • yoshna
    yoshna Posts: 69
    I'm in! Today was day 1 for me, and I'm battling not to give in to cravings before I go to bed.

For those of you who've cut out/significantly cut down, how long did it take before you stopped wanting sweet sugary deliciousness (I'm helping, I know) all the time?!
  • Do you just mean refined white/brown sugar only or also natural sugar (that's in fruits, veg, carbs). I do not use refined sugar but I sure would like to cut down (maybe even eliminate) starch from bread, pasta, etc.. I will continue to have fruit and veg.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Hi I have done this and just went cold turkey. It is easy. You will be shocked at how much sugar you still get through things like cereals, processed foods etc. Amazingly the sugar never needs refilling - so it was mostly me that was consuming it! I boil sweet potatoes or do roasted veggies - yum.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    I quit sugar a long time ago. Welcome to the club.

You will soon find out that a little bit goes a looooong way. After a while, what you used to love might actually be too sweet for all but the strongest cup of black coffee.

Good luck!
  • Southern_Cross_Girl
    Southern_Cross_Girl Posts: 29 Member
    Wow! Thanks guys, so good to know I'm not in this alone.

I mean just refined sugar, not the sugar that's in fruit and veg... unless I start eating 20 apples a day, then I'll have to have a rethink :)

Definitely encouraged by those who have already walked this path x
  • Minnesnowtagurl
    Minnesnowtagurl Posts: 406 Member
    I have just completed the 21 Day Sugar Detox. You will be amazed by what you can do. Stick to meals that are Paleo friendly. You cannot completely cut out sugar but you can reduce it greatly by making alot of meals and sauces yourself and also by using all natural or organic sweeteners. i have definatley noticed that after completing this 21 days I have a different taste for sweets! Everything I put in my mouth seems to be too sweet and I have no interst in finishing. Good luck to you! Adapting sucks but once you have taken on the habits you'll do jusssst fine!
  • kcallas88
    kcallas88 Posts: 192
    omg me too. im trying to highly reduce added sugar. i already eat fruits and veggies so i do get sugar from fruits. but 95% of the other sugar must go!!!!
  • krispetri
    krispetri Posts: 9 Member
    I'm starting Tuesday. I've got to get all the Easter stuff out of my house tomorrow. :) It's hard to imagine doing it, but we can do it!
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    It took me 42 days. I had withdrawal symptoms, I ached, I had sweats, etc. And I haven't gone back.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    I don't use sugar but... Sometimes I have a tbsp of molasses or honey in Plain Greek Yogurt. Both are better for you than refined sugar...
  • peggysbo
    peggysbo Posts: 46 Member
    I quit sugar 3 months ago. It's not easy at first but it gets so much easier!!! Just push through. It will get better :happy:
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Good luck! I've never been a huge sugar fan, we never had sweets in our house growing up, I'm not really into them now. I know it'll be a struggle in the beginning but it will be worth it in the end. Keep up the good work! :flowerforyou:
  • Congrats on avoiding sugar.
    I read about how Monsanto put sugar in baby food so that growing up we developed a taste for it.
    Don't know if I believe it, but it worked on me!
    But for the past several years my husband and I have only used honey, stevia and fruit at home to add sweet flavoring..sometimes cinnamon does the trick too.
    Stevia, by the way, is healthy for you and a little goes a long way.
    That said, when eating out I do consume hidden sugar and of course drinking cider, and eating the occasional dessert, does expose me to it but at least its only a couple of times a week.
    I too get sugar headaches from eating more than one cupcake or maybe a couple of cookies, for instance.
    That's a good thing. Keeps me from binging.
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    I'm in, it's something I've been wanting and needing to do for a long time...feel free to add me if you want :smile: we can talk it out when it get's rough
  • suzette52
    suzette52 Posts: 19 Member
    I am also doing a "no refined sugars" (or added sugars) for the month of April. This will be hard for me to do, because this is my biggest downfall! When I eat something sweet, I only want more, and than can't stop. A few hours later, I almost always don't feel that well, get very fatigued, hungry, and etc.
  • Hollisss
    Hollisss Posts: 88 Member
    This is my goal for April.
    I've gone months without added sugar but last month was the worst in a long time.
    My body is craving crap now because my indulgences lead to meals of pure sugar.

We can do this!
  • Southern_Cross_Girl
    Southern_Cross_Girl Posts: 29 Member
    So so so good to wake up to read these everyone!!

Already I was thinking about a dessert I was planning to make that I'd forgotten to... then maybe start tomorrow but NOOOO! There is no tomorrow, so I'm re-energised to keep on today.

Gotta keep the lying thoughts away :)