Why Are Thin People Not Fat? (Video)

Options

Replies

• SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. I wish they would have given some more background on the study participants. Like what kinds of things they ate before. Some of them seemed grossed out by the kinds of foods they were eating during the experiment.
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I think they were grossed out at the sheer amount of junk they needed to eat in order to attain such a high level of calories. And, i'm sure they felt like crap afterwards.
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Very interesting!! I am def someone who even if full could still munch on something that looks tempting which I why even after a yr now at this weight I practice self control more regularly (yes I've fallen off the wagon but after a few weeks I get back on it). I can gain easily n I have to always control it. Its just how I am :-/ I wish I was more "naturally skinny" chocolate is DANGEROUS! especially for me! Its like a "trigger" to overindulge.... Thanks so much for sharing!
  • kae_blah
    kae_blah Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    That was really interesting. The key points for me were:
    * the best thing we can do for our children (or nieces/nephews, grand-children, etc) is to help prevent them gaining the extra fat cells in the first place as it starts off life long challenge.
    * unfortunately once you have put on weight it will be hard to lose and maintain a smaller size.
    * nobody told these people about the calorific wonder of nuts. I am sure they could have met their targets in a more comfortable way with cashews on hand instead of all of the chocolate and dairy (and clotted cream by the spoon!).
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    That was really interesting. The key points for me were:
    * the best thing we can do for our children (or nieces/nephews, grand-children, etc) is to help prevent them gaining the extra fat cells in the first place as it starts off life long challenge.
    * unfortunately once you have put on weight it will be hard to lose and maintain a smaller size.

Also good points^
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Very interesting!! I am def someone who even if full could still munch on something that looks tempting which I why even after a yr now at this weight I practice self control more regularly (yes I've fallen off the wagon but after a few weeks I get back on it). I can gain easily n I have to always control it. Its just how I am :-/ I wish I was more "naturally skinny" chocolate is DANGEROUS! especially for me! Its like a "trigger" to overindulge.... Thanks so much for sharing!

First off, congrats on your epic weight loss!!

I, too, am a "muncher"! I find that pre-portioning the correct amount of food for myself helps, logging (of course, because then I have to face down those calories), and keeping healthy munchies around. The smell and sight of food is a HUGE trigger for me. I can be totally full but if something smells appealing, I will want to eat it even if I'm not hungry.

This might be sort of depressing information to find out, but I think knowledge is power and it's always good to know one's weaknesses in order to guard against them.
  • fankyskag
    fankyskag Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • amytaylorwilliamdrake
    Options
    bump for later
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    You know it's time to start thinking about your life when you appear on TV as an example of an obese person. :o)
  • Elle562018
    Elle562018 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    Calories in, calories out.

If you're gaining the weight back, you are getting off track. That simple.

Stop looking for excuses.

It's not excuses, it's reasons. Sorry to pick on your post as an example, but I see these kinds of comments so often, and not just on MFP! Whenever there's something that sheds light on weight gain, it gets dismissed as "excuses". But don't you think there's some value in finding out the reasons why people become fat? Surely that's useful?

The point is, that thin people aren't necessarily thin because they keep "on track". They stay that weight without trying. I can vouch for that, having done it myself for years. It's not true that slim people count calories and fat people don't. "Calories in, calories out" doesn't help to explain why some people naturally eat too many calories whereas some people naturally eat just the right amount. If we can understand that, it might help.

And sorry again, this isn't meant to a rant at you - it's just something that I see all the time, and it's frustrating.
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    Ill have to save this for later.
  • makeitallsue
    makeitallsue Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Cliffs:
    When your body cannot store any more fat in it's existing cells, it creates new fat cells.
    You cannot get rid of fat cells once your body has created them.
    Thin people don't have as many fat cells in your body, therefore it is harder for thin people to gain weight.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I saw this Doco a few years back, and also found it really interesting (as I am a "hard gainer" myself)...It was nice to have an explanation as to why I may be the way I am...other than just thinking I have a stupidly fast metabolism...
  • GingerBiscuit_19
    GingerBiscuit_19 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    That was amazing! And slightly scary! I was slim as a child until 9 years old, when I started comfort eating. I've had a weight problem ever since :( am also slightly worried for my niece, as my sister feeds her such crap! My mum is obese (due to alcoholism) my dad is obese (alcohol again), my sister is overweight now since having a baby and I am obese. I eat the most healthy though out of all of them! I maintained a size 12 from age 11 until I started contraception at 16. Ever since then ive gone up a dress size a year probably. It really is remarkable how our bodies work. But the bit at the end was the bit that truly scared me; the people who lost weight and were permanently hungry because their body saw obesity as it's normal weight. That is terrifying, and I sure hope that my body doesn't feel that way!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Calories in, calories out.

If you're gaining the weight back, you are getting off track. That simple.

Stop looking for excuses.

A stunning example of how simple it is to register and post at MFP.

Even a child can do it.

Well done techies!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    The "set weight" or "set point" theory was first established by Ancel Keys in his Minnesota Semi-Starvation Experiment. Essentially, we have physiological differences that cause some people to be more resilient to further weight loss or weight gain beyond a certain point than others. Although I believe genetics plays a significant role, ones eating and exercise habits likely has a strong, contributing influence towards their "set weight." I am sure if every subject in the study would have eaten that amount of calories, in the absence of exercise, throughout their adult lives, they would have become quite fat. It's just some would end up gaining more rapidly than others.

Another key discussion involved the hormone Leptin, which is the master hormone of the body and is responsible for regulating energy balance and satiety. Leptin serum concentration levels are monitored by various Leptin receptors throughout the body. Typically, as a person becomes more fat, not only do Leptin levels increase, but the receptors' accuracy in monitoring such levels become impaired. Thus a person does not get the appropriate message that they have exceeded energy needs and should stop eating. This leptin resistance, is one symptom of the Metabolic Syndrome and usually is a precursor to others including insulin resistance. Leptin resistance is also observed among those with eating disorders such as Anorexia.
  • teachmom32
    teachmom32 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I eat the most healthy though out of all of them! I maintained a size 12 from age 11 until I started contraception at 16. Ever since then ive gone up a dress size a year probably. It really is remarkable how our bodies work.

This is EXACTLY when I gained weight. I went on birth control when I was 17 and by the time I graduated at 18 had gained 15 pounds. I'm positive that my hormones play a HUGE role in my weight. My doctors were always pushing different pills on me to try to control various things (I had endometriosis, adenomyosis, and fibroids). I wish hormones were more studied, so the medical community could understand long term effects of using birth control before prescribing it like candy.
  • teachmom32
    teachmom32 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    This was a very interesting documentary, and was scary in many ways. I have 2 daughters. 1 is 10 and has been overweight since 1st grade. She has a very large belly while the rest of her body is a normal size. My other daughter is 7 and can eat constantly without gaining any weight. Just bought her a communion dress and she had to get a 6x so that it wasn't too big on her. My thinner daughter eat much more than my overweight daughter. They are equally active.

Watching this video makes me worry about my overweight daughter because I'm sure all her fat cells have already multiplied. Weight for her will probably always be an issue. No one informs you of this as a parent of a newborn...