Eating before and after certain times?

Options
I get up for work at 4:15 leave for work at 5:15 and have a 1 hour commute to work. I get home in the afternoons between 4:30 and 6:00 depending on what time I get to leave work. Since I get up so early I am very tired in the evening and sometimes get in bed as early as 6 or 6:30. On average I get in bed between 7:00 and 7:30 and be asleep between 8 and 9.

My stomach has been getting upset EVERYDAY (frequent diarrhea/loose bowels, and just pain in general I think caused by salt intake/not enough water). This usually happens in the morning right when I wake up, but sometimes also if I eat breakfast early. It is so miserable. I think the problem is getting in bed only an hour or two after eating.

I'm wondering has anyone else has had this problem and how they coped? Can anyone give me some advice on what time I should start eating in the morning and what time to stop in the afternoon? I was thinking maybe don't eat til around 8:00am and don't eat after 4:00pm?

I'm just not sure how to get on this routine because I don't eat out during the day, I bring my meals. It would be pretty difficult to bring breakfast, lunch, and dinner to the office. Also our office doesn't have a microwave or fridge, I thought about buying my own microwave so I'm not as limited with food choice.

PLEASE HELP!!! Also, I'm new to myfitnesspal and looking for friends ;)

EDIT: Thanks for the responses, I thought it may be that I was eating too close to bed because on the days I eat less in the afternoons, or eat earlier, I don't have the problem the next day. But I do have a VERY sensitive stomach and it doesn't take much to mess up my system. I think I will try eating less salty and processed foods in the evenings and try eating LESS in general in the afternoons.

Replies

• LaurenLouG
    LaurenLouG Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I doubt it's the time of day in which you'e eating. Perhaps the types of foods? Maybe you have a dietary intolerance, it's probably worth getting checked out by a medical professional.

If you feel you're not drinking enough water then drink more!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I doubt it's the time of day in which you'e eating. Perhaps the types of foods? Maybe you have a dietary intolerance, it's probably worth getting checked out by a medical professional.

If you feel you're not drinking enough water then drink more!
    ^Agree with this.

I eat right up until bedtime, and don't have a problem. Eating soon before sleep can definitely cause problems with indigestion, but I would have thought that would be more likely to occur as acid reflux, not as diarrhoea. And dehydration tends to cause the opposite problem. I would definitely see a doctor.
  • jmslewis
    jmslewis Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous poster. I have a similar schedule to you (about 45 min difference) and an hour commute. I avoid eating 3 hours prior to bed, but I do not have those reactions on the days I am unable to follow that rule. It sounds like an intolerance somewhere. Maybe review your diary and see if you notice any differences or patterns when your symptoms been.