Indonesian Civet Babi Pangang

Options
BeachGingerOnTheRocks
BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
For Easter this year, my husband asked me to make his favorite Indonesian/Sumatran dish that we had when we went to Bali a few years ago. The restaurant we went to was a tiny, Mom and Pop place in Jimbaran Bay, and we went at a slow time of day. The food was so good! The restaurant owner was kind enough to share this recipe, which I made for Easter dinner last night.

Civet Babi Pangang

4 tablespoons sweet soy sauce (ketjap Manis)
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 onion, chopped as finely as possible
chili oil
sambal oelek
1 tablespoon lemons or 1 tablespoon lime juice
some salt and pepper
2 lbs civet, cut into pieces (like you would cut a chicken)

Directions:

Mix all the ingredients, except the meat, together.

Cover the meat with the spice and chili oil mixture.

Put in a plastic bag, close tightly and put in the fridge.

Marinate for a minimum of 4 hours or, (preferred) leave overnight.

Remove from the fridge half an hour before cooking.

Heat up an outdoor grill or Preheat oven to 350°F.

If you're cooking on an open barbecue, put the civet on the grill and cook 15-20 minutes each side until done.

If cooking in the oven, put the civet pieces on a rack. There will be marinade in the bag. If you want you can use that for basting. Put that over a baking tray which has some water in it or is lined with foil.

Depending on the thickness of the civet pieces, roast them 25/30 on each side turning them over once.

When they get too dark cover with aluminium foil.

Serve the civet cut up in large pieces over rice.

The hardest part was finding a good substitute for civet here in the United States. My husband and his friends went hunting on Saturday and bagged three stray Toms, so it was perfect timing to be able to make this recipe.

Hope you enjoy!

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Wow!

I'm not sure if this is a joke or not but I'll tell you right now this is despicable!

The fact that you would do this to harmless animals is utterly disgraceful. If you are joking you have a sick sense of humour!
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    edit to my previous post, there are now three good uses for cat.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    This sounds great but I don't think the grocery store carries civet. Where can I get some?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    Options
    Your grocery store isn't going to carry civet because they don't export it from Asia to the West, except for making sauces. My husband's a hunter so we use as close as we can get with wild game.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Wow!

I'm not sure if this is a joke or not but I'll tell you right now this is despicable!

The fact that you would do this to harmless animals is utterly disgraceful. If you are joking you have a sick sense of humour!

Really? You could say that about ANY meat product. Get a grip!
  • LovesStrays
    Options
    WOW, this is unbelivable - just because some other country eats Civet doesn't mean you should.

You've clearly taken thing a step to far here :noway:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    WOW, this is unbelivable - just because some other country eats Civet doesn't mean you should.

I feel like I'm missing something. What's wrong with eating civet?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    This sounds great but I don't think the grocery store carries civet. Where can I get some?

Perhaps your neighbor has some you could use? Whenever I don't have a particular ingredient, I just ask my neighbor. But this time, I have no idea what civet is. Hopefully your neighbor does.
  • LovesStrays
    Options

it might be infected with SARS and then you'd DIE

http://news.nationalgeographic.co.uk/news/2004/01/0109_040109_SARS.html
  • genghis54
    genghis54 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I really cannot belive I am reading this obscene persons ravings!!!!!!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    Options

Perhaps your neighbor has some you could use? Whenever I don't have a particular ingredient, I just ask my neighbor. But this time, I have no idea what civet is. Hopefully your neighbor does.

I agree. Sometimes our neighbors are willing to help out. But my mom lives in a very rural area, and we have no problem hunting across the street from her house. Besides, Toms are in season right now, and they're absolutely everywhere. I was driving down the interstate a few days ago and saw 3 or 4 beside the road.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Wow!

Really? You could say that about ANY meat product. Get a grip!

I actually can and DO say that about any meat product.

I'm vegan and I find this just awful. Cat's are loving and emotional creatures and don't deserve this kind of treatment.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options

I agree. Sometimes our neighbors are willing to help out. But my mom lives in a very rural area, and we have no problem hunting across the street from her house. Besides, Toms are in season right now, and they're absolutely everywhere. I was driving down the interstate a few days ago and saw 3 or 4 beside the road.

I was just going to suggest this! road kill is perfect, just make sure you get them early...
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    Options

I was just going to suggest this! road kill is perfect, just make sure you get them early...

No! Not roadkill. There's a huge population of Toms in the area, so hunting season is opened in mid-March to cull them. I'd much rather have fresh. The meat goes bad way too quickly, and as someone else mentioned, salmonella and SARS is a possible concern.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. This was posted on APRIL FOOSL DAY. You think, maybe, just maybe they are pulling one over on you people?

Then again, who cares? I don't like liver, but I don't get angry at people who do want to ear it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

No! Not roadkill. There's a huge population of Toms in the area, so hunting season is opened in mid-March to cull them. I'd much rather have fresh. The meat goes bad way too quickly, and as someone else mentioned, salmonella and SARS is a possible concern.

I don't have any problem with hunting but I still don't know what a civet is?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    Options

it might be infected with SARS and then you'd DIE

http://news.nationalgeographic.co.uk/news/2004/01/0109_040109_SARS.html

I'm sure SARS would be a concern, but as I understand civet for consumption, the animals are free-ranged farmed.

I don't knock other people's food cultures, and after traveling all over the world, I've eaten nearly every sort of meat that can be consumed. Civet just happens to be one of the best and most tasty meats I have ever tasted. Americans have a lot of unnecessary hang-ups about eating the foods from other cultures. Instead they eat everything fried in oil and in portions the size of the average dinner table for four in other countries. I'm very happy I got to try the real dish and would eat it again in a heartbeat.
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    Should I be concerned about over cooking? I mean, all the stray Toms around here are so lean, I would imagine they would get very dry if cooked beyond medium.
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. This was posted on APRIL FOOSL DAY. You think, maybe, just maybe they are pulling one over on you people?

Then again, who cares? I don't like liver, but I don't get angry at people who do want to ear it.

Who puts liver in their ear??? That's just sick!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    Options
    Should I be concerned about over cooking? I mean, all the stray Toms around here are so lean, I would imagine they would get very dry if cooked beyond medium.

I marinade for 24 hours, overnight at least. The chili oil penetrates the meat nicely. So far, we haven't had any issues with over drying, but if your Tom is a little lean, maybe cook it under aluminum foil for the first half of the time.