• professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Chairman Meow (my cat, duh).

^hilarious :drinker:
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    Bag or cardboard box idea is great! My cat loves both, but usually jumps in head first, so I will have to be careful!

My goodness, yes! You wouldn't want the poor kitties to be hurt!
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Duct tape!

:laugh:
  • JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm loving all the cat posts today haha

We don't do scales in my house ;)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Wow! These are all great suggestions! I'm hoping to get my cat used to it, but I'm worried that she will become obsessed with weighing herself if I do it too much. I really don't want her to worry about the number, you know?

You should take measurements as well then. That's a much better measurement of progress than the scale anyway. My vet has gone to measurements instead of weight because with the scale you're getting food in your kitty's tummy and water retention so it's not very useful except to track trends.

Agreed.

And to the person who wanted a BMI chart: BMI is only useful when applied to a large population of individuals. So, if you have 20 cats, it would be useful to track BMI so you could gauge the average weight/height ratio across all of your pets. That would help you track trends in weight gain and apply it to your feeding and exercise habits with your cats.

If you only have one or two cats, measurements are the way to go.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Wow! These are all great suggestions! I'm hoping to get my cat used to it, but I'm worried that she will become obsessed with weighing herself if I do it too much. I really don't want her to worry about the number, you know?

You should take measurements as well then. That's a much better measurement of progress than the scale anyway. My vet has gone to measurements instead of weight because with the scale you're getting food in your kitty's tummy and water retention so it's not very useful except to track trends.

Agreed.

And to the person who wanted a BMI chart: BMI is only useful when applied to a large population of individuals. So, if you have 20 cats, it would be useful to track BMI so you could gauge the average weight/height ratio across all of your pets. That would help you track trends in weight gain and apply it to your feeding and exercise habits with your cats.

If you only have one or two cats, measurements are the way to go.

2qnyrv6.jpg
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    <
    When you remove their legs, it makes everything easier with your cat.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    <

That's just insensitive. My grandma's cat has no legs and it is not funny.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    <

I'm not laughing - :( Well, okay, maybe I did snicker at that for a second.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    <

ifpnar.jpg

It's April Fool's Day people! Lighten up!
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Be sure to calculate the cat's hip to waist ratio and TDEE too!
  • KeithChanning
    KeithChanning Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Weight yourself then weight yourself holding your cat, then subtract your weight.

... is exactly how wii fit tells you to weigh your dogs - works, even with my hyperactive Jack Russell Terrorist
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    <

ifpnar.jpg

It's April Fool's Day people! Lighten up!

That's an awful joke. We're supposed to be here for support.
  • catzmommie
    Options
    <

Wow! A hover cat! Thats a special breed!
  • jooonesy
    jooonesy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I weigh us on the scale together, then weigh myself. Subtract the difference and that's how much kitty weighs.
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I've been weighing myself once a month...so today was weigh in day. I tried to weigh my cat, Izzy, also. First of all, I put the scale in front of her on a smooth hard floor and told her to step on. She looked at me and meowed a question mark. I guess she didn't understand the proceedure.

Since she hates to be picked up, I tried to nudge her onto the scale. She slunk around to the opposite side. I knew it would be no good to weigh her backwards so I turned the scale around and gently nudged her again. Repeated this a few times.

I ran downstairs to get her treats to try and coax her that way. Of course she ran down with me and wouldn't go back upstairs. She just wanted those treats in the kitchen where she always gets them.

So I ran upstairs to get the scale and bring it down. Put the scale in a paper grocery sack on it's side and slid the scale in. Tossed in some treats. Izzy was reluctant but finally walked in to get the nibbles and stepped on the scale. But, alas, I couldn't read it because the bag was covering the window. Don't know what I was thinking.

I was pooped from the trips up and down the stairs so I gave up. She will just have to weigh whatever she weighs. The number on the scale is only an estimate anyway. And really, she hadn't used her litter box yet so it would not have been accurate at all.