Big Toenail Removal - anyone?

Options
chercee
chercee Posts: 120 Member
Hi folks,

I'd love to hear from anyone who's had permanent nail removal, particularly big toe. I've had serious trouble with my the nail of my L big toe for nearly three years now, following a messy, badly-healed broken toe. It's at the point that permanent nail removal is looking like my only option, and while the vain part of me is sad, the part of me that is tired of limping, being unable to wear shoes, and waking up in the night with searing pain is like "YEAH! BRING IT!"

So... anyone have any experiences? Tips for dealing with post-pain also happily accepted.

Replies

• veganstein
    veganstein Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My friend had both big toenails removed. As a distance runner, her toenails were always ingrown and painful. I took her yoga classes and could not even tell they were gone. There is a "callus" where the nail used to be and she painted it with toenail polish just like her other toes, you couldn't tell any difference. (not sure that's helpful for dudes, tho)

As far as the post-op pain, she said it wan't bad, she was just relieved that she finally had it done.
  • chercee
    chercee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the helpful response! I'm a little nervous, and I probably won't be getting it done for at least a week or so. I wish I could have it done right now, actually, because the pain is pretty bad. Even just walking is really, really painful.