Ladies- Need BC advice!

Options
I have been doing really well the last few weeks with my diet and exercise and I am seeing very nice results on the scale. However, Wednesday this week I have to visit my gynecologist for my annual exam and I will be going back on birth control. I know a lot of women complain about weight gain with certain pills and while I've been on the pill (my brand was Loestrin 24-Fe) before and gained a lot of weight around the same time, I also ate a ton of crappy food and got literally NO exercise, which is likely the main reason I gained so much so quickly. I know that with regular diet and exercise I should keep seeing the results I'm currently seeing, however, I don't want anything to compromise or seriously slow the progress I'm making. Does anyone out there have any suggestions that I can research and take with me to my doc on Wednesday? What's worked for you and hasn't derailed your efforts? I also realize every body is different, I'm just looking for general suggestions that I can do further research on. Thank you!

Replies

• Brandification
    Brandification Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I take Sprintec and haven't gained any weight from it. It's also very affordable ($9 a month).
  • AlisaRN
    AlisaRN Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I've been on a lot of different ones and in my experience, the BC doesn't directly cause weight gain. I has however increased my cravings for sugar and fat and maybe even increased my appetite a little bit. It also may cause a bit of water retention. The only advice I can give you is to remember your motivation for staying on track and don't beat yourself up for slip ups. Its harder for me on birth control just because I crave sweets more often, but it's not like the pill just magically makes me gain weight. Remember your motivations for the lifestyle change and stay strong and you'll do great!

Alisa
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I've had many forms of BC and none of them made me gain any. :3 the only differences I noticed were with periods ..
  • RooBug88
    RooBug88 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Great replies, gals! Affordability is a huge plus, thanks for that! And Alisa, I can probably manage some cravings here and there, I had a massive sugar addiction just before starting MFP and I have gained a lot of self control over the past few weeks. Motivation is key!

Thanks again, ladies :D Great advice!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    I am on Loestrin 24-Fe and I have lost 12 pounds since Thanksgiving. It does not appear to have affected my appetite, but I do notice my PMS is a bit worse than it used to be.
  • Alyssah09
    Alyssah09 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I used to take Lo Overal and I did not gain any weight whike I was taking it, my periods were VERY regulr and light, my PMS wasnt too bad and its pretty affordable. (about $12 a month)
  • torymichaels
    Options
    I can't say enough personally about the Mirena. I've got it for the second time and wow. No pills to forget, no worries for up to five years. I've never gained weight from it (though I've heard of others who did) and, best of all, the closest I come to a monthly period is a bit of spotting around the right time frame and that's it. Most women get, at the very least, a lightening of their flow, and many (like me) have it vanish or come pretty close to it vanishing.

The procedure is quick, in-office and under new regulations thanks to the ACA, most insurance plans will cover the procedure 100%.
  • RooBug88
    RooBug88 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I can't say enough personally about the Mirena. I've got it for the second time and wow. No pills to forget, no worries for up to five years. I've never gained weight from it (though I've heard of others who did) and, best of all, the closest I come to a monthly period is a bit of spotting around the right time frame and that's it. Most women get, at the very least, a lightening of their flow, and many (like me) have it vanish or come pretty close to it vanishing.

The procedure is quick, in-office and under new regulations thanks to the ACA, most insurance plans will cover the procedure 100%.

I would love the Mirena, but my doc won't put it in because I have no kids yet and I guess there's some risk of infertility if something goes wrong (rare, but I suppose s**t happens!) I'd love to have 5 more worry-free years and periods that don't remind me of a crimson Niagara Falls (sorry for the mental image there...) ^_^
  • karakreature
    karakreature Posts: 79 Member
    Options

I would love the Mirena, but my doc won't put it in because I have no kids yet and I guess there's some risk of infertility if something goes wrong (rare, but I suppose s**t happens!) I'd love to have 5 more worry-free years and periods that don't remind me of a crimson Niagara Falls (sorry for the mental image there...) ^_^

I have the Mirena and have never had kids. Being overweight, over 35, and a smoker were the main reason. My TOM used to give me severe cramps to the point that I'd miss a day of work every month. Now I rarely have a TOM and when I do, it's very light spotting and almost no cramps. Good luck!
  • raedwards89
    raedwards89 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I was on the Mirena for maybe 4 months or so and I hated it. I have never had kids and my gyno said yes to me getting it. It was the worst pain imaginable getting it placed and then I bled for about two months straight (TMI I know). Anyways, during those 4 months I had the worst acne I've ever had and towards the end pain in my abdomen. I eventually got it removed and went back on the pill. The Mirena never caused me to gain any weight and neither has the pill. I'm on Syeda - generic of Yasmin.