Stronglifts 5x5? Pros? Cons?

Options

Replies

• thormaxx
    thormaxx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been running strong lifts for 7 weeks now... and I started with a "cut" earlier this week. I am aiming for a 1/2 lb loss each week to try and shed some of this 21% bodyfat. The lifts are getting quite difficult now, and I hope at just over 2000 cals, I can still press forward while seeing more physcial changes in my body. at 202 lbs today, I would like to get down to 185.

Strong lifts is a great program, but I find that I need to supplement core movements at the end as I don't see much in change in my midesction at all.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the pros listed above. The only criticism I have is that 5x5 might be a little too much volume for someone trying to get stronger while in a calorie deficit. 3x5 would potentially allow for superior progression, in my opinion.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    It is decent. It is pretty much based off of older similar routines that are based off of even older similar routines. Others to look at would be original Starting Strength, Onus Wunsler, Witchita Falls, Babylovers SS, Greyskull LP, Reg Park's 5x5. I know at least one of them does squats only 2 times per week with the third day being deadlifts.

There is also this routine that is not a strict strength routine but is easier to manage on a calorie deficit and has built in deloading so you don't have to concern yourself with figuring that out. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    ... Pretty much you'll be able to bench press a Buick...

Sign me up! What is the web site?

What program should I use if I want to be able to bench press a different model of car? Say, a Ford?
  • HoneyBadgerVin
    Options
    I see. So you can pack on some mass with Stronglifts, then cut later?

5x5 is a strength building routine, not a hypertrophy routine. You will build strength, and dense, heavy muscles, but you won't build body builder type large muscles. Pretty much you'll be able to bench press a Buick, but throw a shirt on and you'll just look like a regular guy, you won't have huge muscles bulging out of your shirt.

Lol! Basically, it's easier to maintain your mild mannered alter ego :)
  • HoneyBadgerVin
    Options
    I love SL5x5 myself. That, along w/MFP and biking on my off days, I managed to drop 30lbs and 6% body fat in about 6 months. I dropped off for the (extended) winter and gained back 18lbs and 4% body fat. 4 weeks back in and I've dropped 5lbs and lost 2% body fat. Right now I'm looking to maintain wait and drop about 5% more body fat.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for a little while, on a calorie deficit.

There are definite strength and visual improvements, but they aren't what you'd call "striking." They say that it's tough to build muscle on a calorie deficit, and it appears to be true at least for me. On the other hand, I haven't been shedding muscle along with the fat, and that's a very good thing.

That being said, I do expect that it will build a strong foundation for more focused lifting once past the fat loss stage.

Optimal muscle mass increases seems to reside more in the 6-8 rep range, as well as having a 500-1000 calorie surplus daily.

And the usual bulking/cutting regime.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    If you lift a lot of weight it can be tough, particularly deadlifting and squating on the same days 3x per week, but I think the program addresses this.

I tried it for a month or so, and the lifts in it are absolutely the cornerstone of any strength training routine.

I still do the lifts, but I just don't do them as often as 3x week.
  • entrement
    entrement Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is incorrect. Bodybuilder before the steroid era used 5x5 routines to build impressive physiques. This is a body builder routine. It's definitely not a power lifting routine. Added strength will add mass.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    This is incorrect. Bodybuilder before the steroid era used 5x5 routines to build impressive physiques. This is a body builder routine. It's definitely not a power lifting routine. Added strength will add mass.

?? 5 rep sets are exactly in the range most often recommended for pure strength improvement, as is rapid periodization.

I did SL for 12 weeks, and think that it was good for me. That having been said, I wish I'd done SS instead. I believe that the Power Clean is a superior exercise when compared to the BB row for overall strength and athleticism, and I think 3x5 @ a reasonable weight determined by bar speed after learning form is a way better and more useful, sustainable format than 5x5 starting with an empty bar.

TBH, I fully believe that Mehdi uses the "start with the empty bar" gimmick solely so that he can show emails from people saying "I increased my squat by 100 pounds in x weeks!!"

Lastly, and I can't believe I'm the first to bring this up, but Starting Strength is a full, highly detailed book, quite possibly the best you will ever read on the topic of the biomechanics of barbell compound lifting, with excellent pictures, diagrams, detailed explanations of proper form and WHY one form tweak is more desirable than another. I still go back and read sections of that book to this day.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    It's a good program to build your base on- learn the lifts, work on form and technique, build strength. It will put size on as well if you are not eating at a deficit. From 5x5 you can branch out to whatever your goals are- powerlifting, bodybuilding, etc. 5x5 is a good base program for powerlifting, I used to do a 5x5 based routine (not the Stronglifts one, but something similar) between meets, and then use my meet prep routine to train for 1 rep max performance.

After 15 years of heavy solid lifting, I took 2 years off. I still ate like a powerlifter and subsequently gained a lot of weight. I went on a diet, lost 50lbs, but lost a lot of muscle mass during that time since I wasn't lifting as I dieted. I began lifting again about 6-7 weeks ago, and I am using the Stronglifts program, with 1 tweak, I only do 2 workouts a week. Workout A on Monday, B on Thursday. This is because of my schedule and I know what my recovery time is. Since I already had a good background and knew how to perform the lifts, I didn't start with the empty bar, but picked weights that were a reasonable challenge to complete 5x5 on, while still giving me room to grow before stalling out. 6 weeks completed, and the weights feel about the same as they did on week 1, which is a good thing- I'm getting stronger and the heavier weights are the same challenge that week 1 was. I should be able to go for several more weeks before missing a rep. Squats and bench actually feel easier each week. Deads are a challenge but each week feels like the prior week once I get going. I'll continue on this path until I start to miss reps, then drop down to 3x5.

As far as the comment about not getting enough core work- stick with it. When you get to where you are squatting 100+ lbs over your bodyweight, your core is going to get worked pretty well.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    As far as the comment about not getting enough core work- stick with it. When you get to where you are squatting 100+ lbs over your bodyweight, your core is going to get worked pretty well.

Not to mention the deadlifts. Deads and Squats are the best core work on earth.
  • wffolkes
    wffolkes Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I am going to start this programme tomorrow. At the moment my Mon Weds Fri have been spent doing hi intensity circuit training. Which is shredding the fat nicely. I also do cardio on tue, Thursday.

I want to lose 14 more lbs

I am wondering how this will effect my bf% loss???

My eating is generally good an I'm losing 2lbs a week with this program I'm hoping to improve strength and the muscles under the last bit if fat I want to get rid off..
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I am going to start this programme tomorrow. At the moment my Mon Weds Fri have been spent doing hi intensity circuit training. Which is shredding the fat nicely. I also do cardio on tue, Thursday.

I want to lose 14 more lbs

I am wondering how this will effect my bf% loss???

My eating is generally good an I'm losing 2lbs a week with this program I'm hoping to improve strength and the muscles under the last bit if fat I want to get rid off..

From my understanding and personal growth so far, this program will assist in your fat loss efforts. More muscle = more calories burned. I have a similar goal and since starting this program, I've gone down from 25% BF to 24%.. I only lost 3lbs this month but my body looks different.
  • wffolkes
    Options
    Welldone Dixie...

Thanks for the advice

Had my bodyfat measured with calipers and it says 16% but I think I'm more near 18%

I am hoping with this an also with my cardio to be down at least 5% in the next 12 weeks.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    To borrow a quote from the guy who introduced me to Stronglifts, invest in a copy of Starting Strength to learn all you need to know about Stronglifts. :p

They're both good. Starting Strength gives you a LOT more technical information about form. I'm doing Stronglifts myself, as I started it before I got SS, and what I've learned from reading SS has helped me do SL a lot better. They're definitely both great for beginners.

The biggest con to SL is, like someone said above, Medhi can get a little used car salesman-ish at times, but the guy knows what he's talking about. It's solid, and the fact that he makes it available for free is a huge bonus!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Pro: simple, effective

Con: T Rex mode

How to prevent T Rex mode, add pull ups to workout A and dips to workout B
  • wffolkes
    Options
    Do you have a link to starting strength.

Not a beginner but ill still check it out.
  • brod2point0
    brod2point0 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by TREX mode?

I do pull ups on both days..(right after squats)
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I am looking at starting one of three programs, Stronglifts, Starting Strength, or the New Rules of Lifting. I have seen a lot of debate between SL and SS, but little talk of NROL. I have the NROL book and it looks great. Has anybody out there tried it? I know the NROL for Women is wildly popular. I don't know what differences there may be, but the regular version looks solid to me.

Also, I noticed some folks wanting to add core work and/or pull-ups/dips/push-ups to SL. But the pdf file for Version 3 includes push-ups and reverse crunches in workout A, and pull-ups and prone bridges in workout B. Am I missing something or are is there an older SL 5X5 that did not include these?