Betty's journey from fluffy to fit...

Options
So... I have a sweet in my life whom I love dearly... But I'm worried about her.
Her name is Betty, and she is my fur baby...

5de2f07d-09b3-4975-8dcd-263d133a28a9-1_zpsc376195e.jpg

Thing is she is huge. I used to free feed her dry food and saw her gaining weight. So I moved to three small meals a day and she didn't lose any weight. I fed her what was recommended but no luck.

20130331_221225-1_zps204a3a99.jpg

I've since tried switching to wet cat food. Started with Iams and again no difference. Now she is on Friskies and may even be bigger.

Has anyone had a fat she-cat and managed to get her healthy?

Replies

• 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I suggest walking your cat at a moderate pace.

The MFP database has an entry for "dog walking," so just choose that one, but take your cat instead.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    all i see is abs.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Do you have a treadmill? Or, you can do as others have suggested in other threads and start actively engaging her in your weight lifting. Maybe she will love it and take up the habit on her own.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

The MFP database has an entry for "dog walking," so just choose that one, but take your cat instead.

I tried that, but as soon as I put her harness on she falls over and lays there.
    Its kinda funny actually.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    lmfao!
    I seriously had to put my cat on the Blue weight control food. He was a biggin.
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    lmfao!
    I seriously had to put my cat on the Blue weight control food. He was a biggin.

Is it wet or dry? Did it help?
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I switched to grain-free dry food for my cats. (Merrick Before Grain). They got leaner and one stopped throwing up all the time. They're still fat, tho. The hubs does not exercise cat portion-control. Plus, I mean, my self esteem can't really take my cat being thinner than me.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    <<<< Fluffy was fat... but now she lifts!
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    <<<< Fluffy was fat... but now she lifts!

But but what if she gets bulky?
  • prwhicks
    prwhicks Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Try the MyFitnessCat app.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Have you tried this?

iekaj41.gif
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    It's called MyFelinePal.

So - OP - - are you letting the cat eat after 8:00pm??? Any food she eats after 8:00 turns into fat because cats don't burn caliories while they're sleeping. Also, make sure you give her food in the morning right away to kickstart her metabolism.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    Have you tried this?

iekaj41.gif

I doubt this will get your cat to shred. You, on the other hand... you will get SERIOUSLY shredded.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Go Paleo and make your cat hunt for itself. It'll thank you in the long run.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

I tried that, but as soon as I put her harness on she falls over and lays there.

AHAHAHA! One of my cats does the exact same thing! Just plays dead! :laugh: Another lady in another thread said that following the serving sizes on pet food labels usually results in too many calories for a cat's general needs. As I've got a fattie for one of my cats, I'm going to keep that in mind.
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    It's called MyFelinePal.

So - OP - - are you letting the cat eat after 8:00pm??? Any food she eats after 8:00 turns into fat because cats don't burn caliories while they're sleeping. Also, make sure you give her food in the morning right away to kickstart her metabolism.

Oh good. I'd have blushed if you'd said it was called myfitnessp****!
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness,

1. Keep her on the wet cat food-cats are carnivores-the wet cat food contains higher amounts of crude protein instead of the carbs found in the dry food.
    2. Science diet makes a great light canned food.
    3. Feed according to weight loss. If the cat is 25 pounds and should be 15 pounds. Feed at thr 15 pound level. May want to try an intermediate goal of 20 pounds first (like humans, you can't starve your body into weight loss)
    4. Consult your veterinarian.
  • veggiesnyoga
    veggiesnyoga Posts: 19 Member
    Options

AHAHAHA! One of my cats does the exact same thing! Just plays dead! :laugh: Another lady in another thread said that following the serving sizes on pet food labels usually results in too many calories for a cat's general needs. As I've got a fattie for one of my cats, I'm going to keep that in mind.

My cat does that too when I put the harness on him :)) Too funny

A friend of mine just told me about a website called www.catinfo.org
    I haven't had a chance to really read through it yet, but she says it's very helpful. Hope you find it helpful as well!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I think Betty is lovely and has a nice curvy figure!! Why can't we just celebrate her curves!? She's almost the same size as Meowilyn!
  • junip1977
    junip1977 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Try the weight control kibble from Science diet and try to get her some exercise. Any little bit will help. You don't want an animal to lose weight to quickly or it is bad for their kidneys, etc.