any 30 day shred tips before I start???

Options

Replies

• betterthanbefpre
    betterthanbefpre Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I felt it after workout 1! It's awesome...just remember like it was said before to modify if you can't do something right off. I suggest not using weights at first so you can see where you are. Also, keep water near by and drink. She doesn't pause for drinking and just remember it's 20 minutes...when it seems it's toughest there just a bit more to go...:)
    37434958 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Dont eat before the session! LOL you will feel horrid!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Bump

How do u modify jumping jacks, if someone has a you tube clip that be helpful.

Due to "ankle issues" I modify by just stepping out one leg and back in, right leg then left leg...trying to stretch outward as much as possible...same arm lifts though. Might be some other modification, but it works for me!

Agree! I also "march" in place while keeping the jumping jack arm movements, or replace it with "shadow boxing." Modifications due to knee issues.
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Keep going! There may be moments where you want to stop but keep pushing through it.

That is what I was going to say. The results are great if you can stick with it!
  • junip1977
    junip1977 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't give up. The first week is hard!! I had the hardest time doing the jumping rope. So instead I modified by jumping rope with one leg at a time...at least it kept my cardio up. Good luck!! :)
  • BlakeKellyD
    BlakeKellyD Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I did my first day today...my tips.

#1, Take pics & measure before you start.
    #2, Don't eat before the workout...the earlier in the morning the better. But DO drink water before & after the workout!
    #3, DON'T give up...just push through it. My bro [who is my best friend] is in the USMC, so he's constantly working out...when I wanted to cave, I imagined him next to me doing it & hearing him say 'Buck up, we don't quit' & I finished it all.
    #4, After you do it, use handrails when going down stairs! Lol.
    #5, Eye on the prize.! :-)

If you'd like to add me, feel free! I just started it for the first time this morning & LOVE the way I feel right now. :-)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You may want to do it the first time through without weights, to focus on form and balance.

Have multiple dumbbells on hand. You should be able to do bicep curls with at least 5, more if you have been doing any strength training, but your shoulders may not be as strong.

Another way to modify the shoulder exercises is to use one dumbbell with two hands for the front raises. I am still trying to figure out the lateral raises - I sometimes work to failure, then drop the weights and keep moving.

Unless you have joint issues, don't modify your jumping jacks - do them as long as you can, then move on to a modified version or toe taps. If you get confused, do toe taps until you figure out what is going on. Keep moving. You will notice when you are able to complete all of the activities :)

If you can do a few girlie pushups, do as many as you can, then drop to hands and knees and just keep lowering your chest - your arms should still be engaged, but some of the work will be in your abs. If you can't do any pushups, try doing them against a countertop.

Take rest days. The name is a misnomer - it was never meant to be completed in 30 days.
  • HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Focus on form the first couple of times, but don't give up. It will get easier and you'll be glad you stuck it out.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    You may want to do it the first time through without weights, to focus on form and balance.

Have multiple dumbbells on hand. You should be able to do bicep curls with at least 5, more if you have been doing any strength training, but your shoulders may not be as strong.

Another way to modify the shoulder exercises is to use one dumbbell with two hands for the front raises. I am still trying to figure out the lateral raises - I sometimes work to failure, then drop the weights and keep moving.

Unless you have joint issues, don't modify your jumping jacks - do them as long as you can, then move on to a modified version or toe taps. If you get confused, do toe taps until you figure out what is going on. Keep moving. You will notice when you are able to complete all of the activities :)

If you can do a few girlie pushups, do as many as you can, then drop to hands and knees and just keep lowering your chest - your arms should still be engaged, but some of the work will be in your abs. If you can't do any pushups, try doing them against a countertop.

Take rest days. The name is a misnomer - it was never meant to be completed in 30 days.

^^^ All of this and pay close attention to learning proper form! Her workouts (or any workouts) will end up causing injury if you do not use proper form!! I can't stress this enough!!!!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Good job on getting started. Just FYI, even Jillian herself said the program was not meant to be done for thirty consecutive days. If you need a rest day, take one, then get back to it the next day.

Best of luck.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Take your measurements before you start. And take pics. Good luck! :flowerforyou:

^^This, and don't do it on a rug or carpet. Get a mat. I had brush burns on my elbows for weeks after level 3.
  • stewarac
    stewarac Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Watch through the first day with out doing it, it helped me to know the moves first. On day 3, and i hurt. But its good hurt :)
  • PototaeLuvvr
    Options
    watch the movie and do my pototae cleanse.
  • Bailey532
    Bailey532 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If you want or are tempting to push stop and give up, keep telling yourself, "It's only 20 minutes out of my 24 hours in a day. I CAN do it. It's 20 minutes....20 minutes...." I can't tell you how many time I had to tell myself that over and over and over and over.......
  • MissE4410
    MissE4410 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I am on level 2 day 3. My tips:

*DON'T QUIT! It won't get easier next time if you quit and then have to start again :)

*The first three days I was SOOOOOOOO sore....KEEP GOING! By day 5 you won't feel sore the next morning, and honestly I kind of missed that feeling as then I really KNEW I had worked my body :)

*Use 3 lb weights if you can for the strength, and if you have 5 lbs try those for the chest flys......i found 3 lbs too light--like I wasn't getting any benefits from 3 lbs ON THE CHEST FLYS. The other strength I found 3 lbs just enough.

*Be careful with your knees.

*DON'T QUIT :) It gets easier! You will feel like a million bucks by day 10. I feel so much better about myself after just 13 days.

*Remember--don't get down on yourself if you are struggling. Everyone has to start somewhere. No one made it all the way through on their first day of the shred and thought "Gee, that was easy!"

Good luck!
  • tlynnest
    tlynnest Posts: 112
    Options
    I did my first day today...my tips.

#1, Take pics & measure before you start.
    #2, Don't eat before the workout...the earlier in the morning the better. But DO drink water before & after the workout!
    #3, DON'T give up...just push through it. My bro [who is my best friend] is in the USMC, so he's constantly working out...when I wanted to cave, I imagined him next to me doing it & hearing him say 'Buck up, we don't quit' & I finished it all.
    #4, After you do it, use handrails when going down stairs! Lol.
    #5, Eye on the prize.! :-)

If you'd like to add me, feel free! I just started it for the first time this morning & LOVE the way I feel right now. :-)
    This! Really-the handrail thing! The second day....I laughed at myself trying to get downstairs in the morning!

Also-I think form is important-someone said earlier-not speed.

I actually did level one alot longer than 10 days-I wanted to do it 'perfect' before I moved on.

Just do it- It is over before you know it :-)
  • TdaniT
    TdaniT Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My cousin and fellow MFP user is doing this. I think I might give it a try. I need to incorporate some strength training into my exercise. Right now I am doing C25K and then walking on the treadmill. I throw some Wii Fit in there some days but others I don't bother.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I agree. Do as many unmodified as you can, and then when you feel like you can't do anymore, then do a modified version. You will be able to do more everyday and will most likely be able to do the unmodified moves exclusively by the end of the phase. This was true for me even with my knee issues.

For a modified jumping jack, just do a step touch while keeping up with the arm movements. Although I highly recommend just doing a full jumping jack if possible and just doing it slower than they do on the video, I did it both ways and felt myself getting stronger by doing regular jumping jacks slower than by doing modified ones at their pace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g1T-ff07kM ---for the modified version
  • kleonard42
    kleonard42 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I did it....I made it through day 1 of the 30 day shred. I didn't do as well as I had hoped (had to skip out on about 5 modified push-ups altogether and had to modify those side squat thingys), but that's ok! Thanks to you guys, I know I will get better and better each day I do it. One level is going to take me two weeks as I will be doing this 5 days a week, have a two week break, then finish out the other five days, but I know my body will appreciate the break so that's ok, too lol. By the end of this I want to be able to do push-ups...NONmodified push-ups!! I suck at doing them and I want to conquer the mo-fo's lol. Wish me luck!

PS- keep the support coming! I will need it all the way through, I'm sure. I hope you guys will be able to check back in with me through this. Thanks again!!
  • peace_frog21
    peace_frog21 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I think most of it has probably been covered but here's what I would say:

--Take before Pictures AND Measurements. The first couple weeks the scale wasn't moving (was actually going up for whatever reasons) and I was bummed, but then I checked my measurements and I'd already lost a couple of inches!!!

--You will be sore the first 3-4 days. But push through it. It will get better once you start moving and after you get through that 4th day, it will go away mostly (and then you start Level 2 mwahaha). But seriously, if you stop because you're sore and then go back to it a few days later, you will just be sore again.

--You will probably want to stop, but push through it. It is a rough workout, especially level 2 (although I think level 2 is more fun)

--When you need motivation, search for "Before/After pics" and that will help.

--I didn't use her diet plan. I've been following my own for over a year, but I'm still seeing results. Just try to eat healthy. I workout in the morning before I eat mostly and then follow up with greek yogurt and protein bars.

--I'm only halfway through the Shred but I've been supplementing with her other DVDs too, and I'm seeing results. It's legit, if you push through and don't give up!

Good luck!! Feel free to friend me if you want.