If your short and lost belly flab

Options
I'm 5'0" tall 107lbs and I'm having the hardest time losing belly fat. It's like I'm always going to have a pouch around my belly button. I blame it on having a short torso. I want to feel comfortable in a bikini and I can't with this layer of fat on my abdomen.

Anyone have advice or are in the same situation??

21004851_5888.jpg

Replies

• tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I guess everyone is too busy obsessing over cats today.
  • michiganderrdh
    michiganderrdh Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and have had 2 children and with clean eating and exercise I've actually got a belly that is in better shape than BEFORE kids. Was it easy? not at all but now it's a lifestyle! Message me and I'll describe what I did to get there :)
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    strength training! mine didnt go away until i started lifting. i wish i had before pictures to show you. i only have afters.
  • Slpst46
    Slpst46 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey, i'm interested if anyone has any tips!!

I'm 5' tall and post baby # 2. I only have 3 pounds left to lose, but my body is nothing like it was before!!! I have such limits with time to exercise (which I fit in anyway) and diet (cuz it's hard enough cooking for a family - let alone with they don't/can't diet with you!).
  • kristinhardesty
    Options
    I am in the same boat! I'm 5 ft 3 in and can see my ribs, but can't get that little pooch to go away! It's the most aggrivating thing ever! I'd love to hear any tips anyone has as well!
  • liz3marie
    liz3marie Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    ive got the same problem...:sad:
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    You have to reduce your overall body fat, for me strength training regularly has helped...not there yet but def better! When I increased my strength training, i reduced my cardio to 20-30 mins tops which may seem counter productive but has helped likely b/c I am maintaining lean mass. I'm not a pro but seems tobe working for me so far!
  • xcmum
    xcmum Posts: 136
    Options
    I know how you feel..I'm 5ft and have had 2 kids and have that pouch, its more just loose skin now with lovely stretch marks. It has tighten up a bit but i'm doing a lot of exercise. I'm the lowest weight wise i've been in years!! But the stomach doesn't make me look light at all. I have some pictures how do i add them?
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I guess everyone is too busy obsessing over cats today.

I know. What is it with the cats anyway? I am taller than you at 5' 5". I have a short torso though and my belly is my problem area also. I am having success though with saying a healthier diet and doing a mix of cardio and strength training. I am sure that once I get closer to goal weight, I will have more problems getting the last bit of Pudge to go.

What are you doing now for your exercise routine?

ETA: I focus mainly on strength but keep cardio for the energy and added calories burned.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Hey! Here's a few pointers... I'm short too (only 5'3") so I feel your pain. All my weight settles around my tummy and is always the last to go...

Exercise: You should try weight lifting. Building muscle not only increases your metabolism so that you can eat more but it also helps burn stubborn fat. You may even see an increase in the scale but a decrease in your overall size. Weight lifting is the best way to lower overall body fat.

Diet: I noticed that you eat a lot of sugar. From my experience, the more sugar I eat the more I want, and it always ends up settling right around my middle. I've found that if I keep my sugar intake low I can eat high cals and still lose weight. So maybe try eliminating all unnecessary sugars from your diet (fruit is okay in moderation). Things like yogurt, cereal, granola bars, all have hidden sugars in them that you need to watch out for. I also suggest you increase your protein intake. By getting more protein you will stay full longer, give your muscles the necessary fuel to recover and grow and I've found it to be very beneficial.

Edited to add: By getting enough protein, you can ensure that the weight that you lose is pure fat, and not your hard earned muscles!!!

Hope this helps!
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Same here! I dont have any kids, so I have no excuse! my arms and legs are little, all of my weight is right smack in the middle! ::throws chair::
  • barbiegirl052
    Options
    I'm 5'0" tall 107lbs and I'm having the hardest time losing belly fat. It's like I'm always going to have a pouch around my belly button. I blame it on having a short torso. I want to feel comfortable in a bikini and I can't with this layer of fat on my abdomen.

Anyone have advice or are in the same situation??

21004851_5888.jpg

I have the same issue i hate my belly im trying to challenge myself to eat cleaner this month and work out more..
  • tinabell153
    Options
    I mainly do Jillian Michaels DVDs. Her No More Trouble zones has me working with weights and I lift a little after walking on my lunch breaks. At home I do other DVDs like killer abs or kickboxing.

Can someone give me a strength training routine that may help??

I do need to reduce sugar, I just love yogurt and fruit so much!!

To add photos you copy a image link and paste it between img] without spaces.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Kickboxing and Jillian are good. I would suggest a full body strength train routine 3 x a week...ab routines are great but the reality is you need to get rid of the fat on top of them and the ab muscles themselves are not that big so workingout other, larger muscle groups will burn more calories.

Basic upper body w/ dumbells:
    Bicep curls 3 sets of 10-12
    Shoulder Press 3 sets of 10-12
    Tricep Extensions 3 sets of 10-12
    Push Ups 3 sets of 10-12 (starting on your knees if needed, work up to "real" ones)
    Chest Press 3 sets of 10-12
    Overhead press

Lower body - largest muscle group and use core too:
    Squats w/ dumbells in each hand
    Lunges with dumbells in each hand
    Calve raises
    Straighleg dead lifts (target hamstrings)
    Deadlifts

Plank, plank, plank and plank again. It works everything.

Most you can do if you have basic free weights at home, but better for me at the gym since you may want a variety of weights as you progress.

If you have access to a gym:
    Lat pull downs
    Chin Ups/Dips (I used the assisted machine)
    Leg Press

Have fun!
  • tinabell153
    Options
    Kickboxing and Jillian are good. I would suggest a full body strength train routine 3 x a week...ab routines are great but the reality is you need to get rid of the fat on top of them and the ab muscles themselves are not that big so workingout other, larger muscle groups will burn more calories.

Basic upper body w/ dumbells:
    Bicep curls 3 sets of 10-12
    Shoulder Press 3 sets of 10-12
    Tricep Extensions 3 sets of 10-12
    Push Ups 3 sets of 10-12 (starting on your knees if needed, work up to "real" ones)
    Chest Press 3 sets of 10-12
    Overhead press

Lower body - largest muscle group and use core too:
    Squats w/ dumbells in each hand
    Lunges with dumbells in each hand
    Calve raises
    Straighleg dead lifts (target hamstrings)
    Deadlifts

Plank, plank, plank and plank again. It works everything.

Most you can do if you have basic free weights at home, but better for me at the gym since you may want a variety of weights as you progress.

If you have access to a gym:
    Lat pull downs
    Chin Ups/Dips (I used the assisted machine)
    Leg Press

Have fun!

Thank you!! I appreciate this!! :D
  • CWonder003
    CWonder003 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Another shorty here with the same problem. I think it has less to do with being short and more to do with a body type that holds onto fat in that area.

I always lose my butt first, and I wish I could keep it there and trade my tummy pooch that stubbornly hangs on, even when I can see ribs and the abs I have been working on underneath the fat!

Even at 95 llbs in high school, as a ballet dancer, I had a teeensy tiny bit of fat there, and I never got the flat, near-concave defined abs I wanted soooooo badly, no matter how much pilates I did!

I have tried to just accept my body, and not obsess over it.
  • TayaCurragh
    TayaCurragh Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation, I'm 19 and 4"10. My weight is most noticeable around my belly, so I'll keep these pointers in mind :)
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Before kids I never had the belly, but after 5 kids and now 6 kids oh goodness!!! I really hope after I have this baby I can really find a way to get rid of it. Good Luck!
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I lost belly flab once.... then I remembered where I put it and I have had it ever since.
  • Sofitin2013
    Options
    In the past I have found that a South Beach style diet works great for belly fat :)