Why the Scale Sucks

Options
kestrel359
kestrel359 Posts: 342 Member
From November 1st to January 1st I went from 160 lbs to 140 lbs, but only went from 38% body fat to 36% body fat. From January to now I have only lost 5 lbs but I went from 36% body fat to 29%. Seeing the scale refuse to move has been extremely frustrating. Luckily I am taking part in a body transformation challenge that requires me to take pictures every month, and comparing January's pictures to today's pictures has been very motivating. If you haven't already realized how poor of a tool your scale is for rating your improvement, then I hope this is adequate proof for you.
575647_144999892340398_1543639743_n.jpg

Replies

• ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.

I've been struggling with the number on the scale lately.
  • soobie
    soobie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Sure is helpful to see this. I lost a great deal from Sept. to Jan and then it just stopped. I took some photos in January, but haven't since. Maybe time to break out the camera again. You really have made improvements, congratulations!!
  • cook6609
    cook6609 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    thanks for this reminder... I haven't really seen the scale move since I started the 30 day shred (20 days ago... I start level 3 today!!)... I was getting a little discouraged, but with the encouragement of my measurements and my friends and husband, I have seen improvement as far as inches... My pants (that I bought right before I started) fit perfectly before the shred. Now they are loose. I had to tighten my belt (using the custom made holes my hubby put in for me). Shirts that I couldn't fit in before now fit!!! While the scale hasn't been moving, I have... It's just nice to know that I'm not the only one dealing with this dilemma....
  • kmc979
    kmc979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    wow, congrats on your success. I agree, the scale sucks, but we are so stuck on having a number. I do prefer to go by how my clothes fit but everyone wants to see that scale number drop while our pants size drops also.
  • kmr72
    kmr72 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I needed to read this......I have lost 4 inches in my hips but the scale went up 5.8 lbs. :( Go figure
  • WhaddoWino
    WhaddoWino Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    This is such a great post! First, you look really good; keep up the hard work! Second, I have also come to the conclusion that-- if you are seriously working out as you eat well-- scales are pretty meaningless. Fortunately, I have access to a Tanita Body Composition Analyzer and have been tracking myself on that over the past three months. Seeing your fat % go down, seeing your muscle mass % go up... those are the true successes! It's also amazing how much your water weight can fluctuate, especially as a woman.

Thanks for sharing this!
  • AndrewXB9
    AndrewXB9 Posts: 114
    Options
    Helpful. Thanks for sharing and congratulations :)
  • kestrel359
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has commented. I'm bumping this just to make sure more people see why you shouldn't focus on the scale
  • djack18
    djack18 Posts: 14
    Options
    Awesome job! Bump!
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    <---yep, it is!
  • Lecterman
    Lecterman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I agree 100%. Last month I started concentrating more BF loss than weight loss.

Net results were a 2 pound weight loss, but a 2.5% loss in BF (36.8% to 34.3%) and a loss of 2.25" in the waist alone.

Keep it up!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    So true! I look like that 2nd pic right now kinda. I'm at 120 25-28%BF. AND I had those exact same shorts you're wearing! I gotta kick outta that! lol
  • SuzieQ724
    SuzieQ724 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Yea. What's the first thing someone asks you when they notice you've lost weight...."how much have you lost??!!"
  • kestrel359
    Options
    when people saw me after a week or two they would say I was wasting away and wouldn't believe me when I would tell them I hadn't lost any more weight since the last time they saw me
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think it's normal to want to see the concrete numbers fall... but it's unrealistic. I still get frustrated now-and-then, and I wish bf% was easier to measure. lol
  • justunrick
    justunrick Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The scale is awful last weigh in I was 182. Got on the scale last night it said 192. This morning it said 190 and then after my workout today it had me at 186. After using the rest room it had me at 182. Now I know there is no way I put on 10 pounds nor did it go away that fast. I never get on this much but Really that much of a difference. I understand water weight but what the heck was this deal all about?
  • RayBoy76
    RayBoy76 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Very true. Measurements are best, even if it is just realizing that those pants fit looser than before.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Excellent proof that the number on the scale is nothing more then a measure of the earths gravitation pull on your body. :) Great job!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've decided to focus on fat loss rather than weight loss and banished my scale to the upper shelf of my closet. Where it will stay. Stay. Ubu. Good dog. /pat

I'm going to go by monthly measurements and how my clothes fit instead. It's been tempting to peek (cause years-long habits can be tough to break), but not worrying about it is rather liberating.

Thank you for posting this! I hope more people pay attention. :flowerforyou:
  • SASSYGIRLY30
    SASSYGIRLY30 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    wow amazing!! I needed to see this... the scale hasn't been friendly haha
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!