Food Plan for people working 12 hour shifts

Options
I work 12 hour shifts and I don't know how to schedule in my dinner consistently. I work 7am-7pm and my goal is to not eat after 8pm. However, I like to work out straight after work - so clearly I cannot eat then workout because I will get sick. Once I'm done working out, I'm back to eating at 9pm again. Any tips?

Replies

• _AC3_
    _AC3_ Posts: 16
    Options
    Eat a low-cal protein bar before you workout and you'll have the energy you need. I like clif bars and the harvest power bars, they're all about 200-240 cals. Don't worry so much about the time of day you're eating. Eating during certain hours doesn't affect you anywhere near as much as just sticking to your calorie deficit. Also, the actual time is not so important as making sure you don't eat 2-3 hours before you go to sleep; so obviously eating at 9pm is no biggie if you're a night owl.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse who works 3 12 hour shifts per week, so I totally understand where you're coming from...

I simply cannot workout after being on my feet for 12 hours, but I commend you for doing so!!!! I'm impressed!

My advice? Have an evening snack at work around 5:30 or 6:00pm...maybe a protein bar, or a banana with peanut butter. That way you'll have energy for your workout. And when you come home, have a light dinner...I've always enjoyed either a bowl of cereal, or a piece of lean meat and a veggie. Eating late isn't going to ruin your progress, since your body doesn't know what time it is.

Just my two cents! Hope you figure out something that works!
  • skankamaggot
    skankamaggot Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hour shifts! You can add me if you want friends/support. My diary is open to friends (but didn't log Easter Sunday, so don't judge me based on that lol). Is there a reason you don't want to eat after 8PM? Generally your body doesn't care what time it is.

On a work day I usually eat breakfast at work around 7:30 AM, generally oatmeal and a banana. Snack on a yogurt between 10 and 11. Lunch I try to eat between 12-2 but it depends how busy I am at work. Afternoon snack somewhere between 4 and 5. Go straight home, work out for around 30 minutes, eat dinner. I usually pop dinner in the oven before I hop on the treadmill (or do a DVD) so it's ready to go by the time I'm done.
  • cblue07310
    cblue07310 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I don't want to eat after 8pm because I'm in bed by 11pm. So I'm trying to follow the "rule" of not eating too close to bedtime. And I can't go to bed hungry so "light" dinners are super hard because after my workout I feel like I'm starving and I want to eat everything in sight.
  • skankamaggot
    skankamaggot Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    A lot of those old "rules" are meant to be broken! I mean yeah you shouldn't eat a five course meal before bed, but I usually eat about an hour before bed and I don't think it's slowed my weight loss down at all. I try to follow the "Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, dinner like a pauper", so you are eating most of your food earlier. I would try to have a more substantial afternoon snack so you're not gnawing off your arm by the time you're done working out. Maybe a protein bar/fruit + cheese stick/etc. would help.
  • Mommybug2
    Mommybug2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I think the whole "Don't eat after 8/9pm" is more about not going to bed with a stomach full of food. So if you really want to follow that I would set a time 2-4 hours before YOUR bedtime that is your cutoff time and not go with a time made for people with 9-5 schedules.

Also that whole thing is a Myth anyway. Studies have proven it is what/how much you eat not when you eat that contibutes to weight loss/gain. I do set a cutoff time for myself but it has more to do with the fact that I know once I settle in for the night I will pig out so I have to set rules to keep myself away from late night snacking.
  • jestersand
    jestersand Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with eating just after a workout. it's actually good to put something in your tummy then. I do the baked sweet potato and grilled chicken, or a small amount if rice with chicken and steamed veggies. Keep it light, work it around your daily calorie intake and you'll be okay.
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Im not sure where you work, but dont you get time for lunch and dinner? If not, bring a cooler to work! If you dont have a microwave, make foods that you dont need to heat up (or have soup in a thermos). Examples: canned tuna, salads ( even add chicken), vegetables, protein bars, protein drinks, cold salads like quinoa(my fave!!), cottage cheese, hard boiled eggs/ pickled eggs, make a sandwhich!, greenbeans, whole wheat macaroni salad, fruit, assorted trail mix, sushi, etc. Lots of options.

And I suggest having a protein drink right after your workout ( I drink mine while i'm still parked in the gym parking lot), you want to feed your muscles !:)