How to handle weight loss compliments

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I say, "Aww, Thank you." And hug them. But that's just me.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't weigh, so I technically don't know if I've lost weight, but my body has definitely changed, so when people ASK if I've lost weight, I usually say smthg like, "I dunno, I hope so, I've been working out like crazy." haha If people just comment on my changes and give me a compliment, I usually just say, "Thank you".

I think it's good to acknowledge your hard work when possible. If it were easy, everyone would do it--you should be proud. :)
  • needsalife3
    needsalife3 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Your post immediately caught my eye because it is one of my biggest fears in this whole thing. It sounds like you are way healthier in the way you think of it than me and I have lots more to lose than you do so it will be a long time till someone notices. I'm not shy, but I just don't want to talk about it. The only way I've finally come to the point that I was willing to lose weight (I keep the weight on to hold people at arms lenghth) is that I'm doing it totally for me. I really don't need the praise or notice. I do think "thank you" is the way to go. But every time I say that "thank you" will be difficult and I'll be internally wanting to flee the room. Good luck.
  • randee95
    randee95 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I went shopping this weekend with one of my friends who kept telling me how great I looked and how much weight I've lost. I just said "thank you" and changed the subject. She was mentioning how she wasn't eating the healthiest lunches so I gave her some recipe ideas :). I think spreading healthy knowledge on food and exercise is a great thank you too :)
  • brendadale1
    brendadale1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Your post immediately caught my eye because it is one of my biggest fears in this whole thing. It sounds like you are way healthier in the way you think of it than me and I have lots more to lose than you do so it will be a long time till someone notices. I'm not shy, but I just don't want to talk about it. The only way I've finally come to the point that I was willing to lose weight (I keep the weight on to hold people at arms lenghth) is that I'm doing it totally for me. I really don't need the praise or notice. I do think "thank you" is the way to go. But every time I say that "thank you" will be difficult and I'll be internally wanting to flee the room. Good luck.

Saying Thank You, its ok...to accept a compliment..if any further questions are ask as HOW you are losing tell them about MYFITNESSPAL and include its a free program:)
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Try this:

"Thank you".

so punching someone in the face who said I was about to "shrivel up and blow away" was a bad response?
  • nomayo
    nomayo Posts: 228
    Options

Then go into the bathroom, shut the door, and do a little happy dance.

^^ I thought I was the only one doing this hehe.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I just thank people and sometimes mention I go running, other than that I just smile and move on!
  • CBell223
    CBell223 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    This is a big issue for me. As a yo-yo dieter, with 200 lbs to lose, I've noticed that it is usually "the end" for me when I start getting compliments. Trying to understand why that is, I've only been able to come up with a few ideas. 1) I would rather pretend that people just don't notice my weight, but when comments start coming, I know that they are. 2) I take the compliment on as pressure or an obligation I now have, to that person, to continue losing, and not gain it back. 3) I feel shame about what they must have thought about me before I lost any weight, and what they will be silently thinking if I gain it back.
    So, I don't know what my answer will be. "Thank you" is a fine idea, but only if I can stop abusing myself with the above. For now, I'm at the beginning of my journey, at it will be a long one, so I'm hoping I've got a little time to figure this out. My main goal at this point is to just eat in a less extreme way, so it can become a "life style change" rather than a "diet".
    Great topic. I'm glad I'm not the only one that struggles with it.
  • ForABetterMe89
    Options
    I just say thank you, I feel great and move on. Although I secretly love talking about my weight loss because it keeps me motivated.
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. When someone says "wow, you have lost weight", I hear "wow, you used to be fat"!

I much prefer it when people say "you look great". , I have no trouble saying thank you then. Yes, I know its illogical
  • DutchFrancis
    DutchFrancis Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50 lbs by now and especially people who haven't seen me in a while compliment me all the time at the moment.
    I'm loving it and although I used to feel awkward getting compliments and always responding with things like 'Thanks, but I'm not even half way' or 'Thanks, but I still have a long way to go', I now try not to do that anymore.
    It ís an accomplishment and it ís worth the compliments. No need to talk myself down or wave it away like it's 'only' a few pounds or 'not worth mentioning.
    I've earned the compliments so I try to take them gracefully, saying 'Thank you' and maybe something 'nice of you to notice' and when people ask how I do it, I tell them about MyFitnessPal (and a few friends already joined as well :D )
  • czechwolf52
    czechwolf52 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody, of course I thank people when they compliment me, but I'm still getting use to my new lifestyle and mindset. Since late elementary school I've been slightly overweight and when I hear the compliments I wonder at times what they thought of me before. And when I go back home in about 2 months I'm hopefully going to be at or near my goal and the difference will be very noticeable, and between returning to work, weddings, and parties I'm not sure if I can handle a few weeks of compliments (once again easily shy/embarrassed)
  • scunningham2012
    scunningham2012 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My family usually says that, I say "Thank you" when they ask how I did it I bluntly tell them. Not rude at all but short and sweet. For me, I became a vegan 6 months (April 13 will mark the full 6 months) and haven't exercised much do to my joints acting up really bad in the winter. So, I simply just state, "I went vegan" I'll smile and simply walk away. For you, you could just simply state, "Thank you! I've changed my eating habits and became more active." Simple, to the point, but it gives them satisfaction of what they were looking for. :)

Personally, I don't find this rude. It's pretty self explanatory when it comes to weight loss.
  • jadams1650
    jadams1650 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    When people asked if I'd lost weight, I smiled and said "as a matter of fact I have, and obviously you've found it." That was when the fight started.
  • theedge56
    theedge56 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I tell people I am not on a diet but an Energy Management Program.
  • powrwrap
    powrwrap Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    When people asked if I'd lost weight, I smiled and said "as a matter of fact I have, and obviously you've found it." That was when the fight started.

Love it!
  • powrwrap
    powrwrap Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I tell people I am not on a diet but an Energy Management Program.

I got the question at Easter. To the question: "How did you do it?" just say, "I got a new app for my phone." Like your golf game or your Facebook page or your scrapbooking no one wants to hear about how cool your phone is (or admit how inept they are at smartphones) so they usually shut up.
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Everybody tried to pin me in the corner and asked specifically how much weight have I lost (not how I did it, or anything else, mind you, just how much), which I find extremely invasive, both from a privacy and personal space standpoint. They all know I'm like that, too, which annoys me even more. I just smiled awkwardly and moved off. When I left, everybody just told me how good I look, which is the appropriate way to manage the situation, which I thanked them for. I was kind of dreading it, but now that it's done, I glad I did it, but I know it will happen again when I go to other family gatherings that have new people, and again when I get near my goal weight (30 more lbs) with these same people.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you say thank you
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!