Exercising on a full or empty stomach?

Options
13»

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Depends.

I can go running before breakfast (well, I need a cup of tea before I do ANYTHING, but nothing solid)

But if I'm doing strength training I get dizzy unless I've eaten something, like a piece of toast with peanut butter, say 30 mins beforehand.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I work out straight away when I wake up on an empty stomach. I can't work out if I've eaten, I feel bogged down and makes me feel sick.

I refuel afterwards with something high protein. :D
  • joeint
    joeint Posts: 31
    Options
    My opinion, for weight loss doing cardio, empty stomach first thing in the morning. If its strength training, a protein shake about an hour before you start and another asap after, then a high protein meal an hour later.
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I pretty much always work out fasted whether it be weights, steady cardio or HIIT. Not because I think it's magically better for fat loss or anything but just because it fits my schedule. I do 12 - 16 hour days so there is no way on Earth I will do anything other than flop in front of the TV when I get home, so I have to get it done in the morning.

In my experience this works fine - in fact, I feel fresher because I'm not bogged down with food, so I can really push myself. If I do try working out later in the day I always seem to be balancing whether or not my last meal has gone down enough or if I'm feeling hungry and should eat. Doing it 45 minutes after waking (after several coffees!) means I get it out of the way for the day and it wakes me up too (getting up at 5:30 isn't good for me bearing in mind I'm not a morning person).

Personally, doing it when it suits you is more important. People get too wound up in the micro-details and in my experience both camps are wrong - I don't think fasted training magically burns more fat, but then I don't think it burns off muscle and turns you into a pencil neck, either.

I usually take some BCAAs and a small ham slice (25 cals/5g protein) just to be on the safe side, but really, the main thing is having a good meal afterwards, IMO.

I do however need food if I'm working out for much longer than an hour, I've noticed. 60-70 minutes is fine. 2+ hours (such as at the weekend when I go for my long bike ride) then yes, I definitely need food then.
  • bellamia88
    bellamia88 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I was told to eat a banana at least a half hour before a workout. When I wake up in the morning to go to the gym I like to get up and go so I usually just have half a banana or an apple beforehand but if it's later in the day I don't eat anything an hour before.
  • JohnLawrencejackson
    Options
    Exercise for stomach http://losebellynow.com
  • JohnLawrencejackson
    Options
    Exercise for stomach http://losebellynow.com
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I actually was monitoring my calorie burn (HRM) while working out on an empty stomach VS after eating.

I find that when I work out (cardio) 30 minutes AFTER i eat, i burn WAY more calories, plus I feel like I can go on forever!
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    It depends....I have lunch at 12/12:30 and leave work at 5 to go to the gym from 5:30 to about 7. I don't get home to about 8 so I have to eat something before working out - otherwise I'll faint.I keep it light - protein bar, piece of fruit, something like that.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have to eat before I exercise or else I feel nauseous.
  • dmaloof2013
    dmaloof2013 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I always have something to eat, but I give myself time to digest before I work out. I haven't gotten the cramps but I have definitely gotten the indigestion (ie the want to throw up) if I work out too soon after having food. But I cannot work out on an empty stomach. I don't have the energy to do a good work out unless I have something to eat
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Do what works best for you. I encourage you to have some form of protein to energize your workout but do whatever you feel maximizes your workout time.