Opinions Needed on Working Out Barefoot Please

Options
2»

Replies

• KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I only workout at home so I do everything barefoot. Even Insanity. It CAN cause injury if you're not used to it or if your feet aren't used to it. However, wearing improper shoes to workout in can also cause injury so neither one is worse than the other. I personally go barefoot whenever I can (shoes in public however, in summer, when I'm at my friends' farm I ALWAYS go barefoot) I love being barefoot. :) But that also means that my feet are more accustomed to being barefoot so I have no problem working out without shoes on.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    I got converse for my weight training since there is no support in them.
  • hebehrens
    hebehrens Posts: 55
    Options
    I think it totally depends on your foot and ankle structure and strength. For example, I have pronated feet and weak ankles. My feet tend to pronate and go into eversion. If I try to do much barefoot, it ends up throwing my whole alignment out of whack and my ankles and knees start hurting.

In general, I'd say you can try it, but go into it gradually. Make sure going barefoot isn't changing your form and you are able to keep proper alignment with your ankles, knees, and hips.
  • is80833
    is80833 Posts: 6
    Options
    I find working out barefoot at home on carpet is much easier, I usually wear shoes at the gym but for me barefoot there too would be more comfortable.
  • gabesgourmet
    Options
    I started working out barefoot-it feels much more natural and I can increase intensity while staying light on my feet! Now I've transitioned to Merrell barefoot shoes-they protect my soles yet still provide flexibility and light feet! Cannot recommend enough!!!
  • nataliefamily3
    Options
    I work out at home barefoot. . At the gym I wear shoes though