Does deficit intake get compensated next day

Options
Just wanted to know whether deficit calories on a day will get compensated on the next day or subsequent days ?
How long does the body take to adjust deficit intake or does it compensate from some other part os the body ?
Would like to know the normal average time duration for body adjusting the calories intake .

Replies

• angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I've had some say you can compensate your deficit for the entire week estimate. So...if you go over on say, Tuesday, you can make up for it on Friday. Or, something like that.
  • samdavis512
    samdavis512 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Any other views on deficit compensation -within how many days can the deficit be compensated ?
  • acm130
    acm130 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Not sure what specifically you are looking for in your answer? Many folks have had success with weekly deficits rather then daily and utilizing calorie zig-zag models.
  • samdavis512
    samdavis512 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    could you exlplain what calorie zig-zag models mean ?I just want to know that if I have a deficit today for say 500 calories ,and if I intake an excess of 500 cals a week later does it compensate or adds to weight or whatever ?
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have a 36 hour rule - if I have calories left over from more than 36 hours ago, minimal exercise until I've caught up.

Not based on science, just my way of not under-eating or over-exercising.

Some people zig-zag or calorie cycle, some people have maintenance days, and some people have maintenance weeks/fortnights/months.

If you eat 500 calories less today, weigh yourself tomorrow, and have those 500 calories on Monday, it might look like a slowdown on the scales (depending on how tiny the ounce/gram steps are) next Sunday because those calories have affected both weigh-ins. Maintenance weeks some people report they "haven't lost any weight" but you could also say they are eating back some of their calorie deficit from the previous 6 months. I had a theory that I could test using a time machine, giving past-me some food for several days and convincing him to eat it, and then travelling back and snatching all the food back after I have the results I'm after so I can eat it... but I'd probably be hit after the third food-snatching incident.

Unless you eat back those calories at a time when your metabolism is slower (e.g. after losing some weight) it should even out. Depending on how many calories it is, it might have an effect on the scales. The calories you didn't eat might have caused muscle loss and eating them back might cause fat gain, but that depends on the calories, macros, etc. for both days/weeks and what your body did/does.