100g of Protein a Day?

Options
124»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    A good guideline is 1gm protein per. 1lb of lean body mass (which you can figure out via Googke search, I'm not home or I'd dig up a link). So for me when I started out that was 147gm a day! So yeah, 100 seems totally reasonable, and yes, MFP sets it's bar for protein absurdly low.

^^ This

A study I read showed that when in a calorie deficit a woman should have a *bare minimum* of 72g of protein. I aim for 85g as a bare minimum, but try to hit 100g.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I asked the girl if she's having any complications due to her protein intake. If she's not, it's pointless to just increase it because some chart says so.

What complication were you expecting her to have???? The main benefits of eating 1 gram of protein per 1 pound of LBM is that is preserves muscle while losing weight (and also helps gain muscles), while also increasing satiety. She's not likely going to notice that she's losing muscle. Nor will she notice if she's having more trouble meeting her caloric goals then she would if she ate more solid protein.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    hm. thanks for the info!
    Found this link: http://www.medindia.net/doctors/Clinical_cal/lean-body-weight.asp

Looks like I should be having about 120g per day!

Sorry to be thick but how did you work out you need 120g from that link?
    All it told me was that my lean body mass is too high and i have an obese body type!! Great booster

Lol
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    My protein shake I currently take is around 200kcal and gives me 27g protein with semi skimmed milk
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I asked the girl if she's having any complications due to her protein intake. If she's not, it's pointless to just increase it because some chart says so.

What complication were you expecting her to have???? The main benefits of eating 1 gram of protein per 1 pound of LBM is that is preserves muscle while losing weight (and also helps gain muscles), while also increasing satiety. She's not likely going to notice that she's losing muscle. Nor will she notice if she's having more trouble meeting her caloric goals then she would if she ate more solid protein.

My LBM is around 110, I think . I have noticed that getting an average 130 grams of protein help with my chronic fatigue syndromes and hypoglycemia. Obviously not everyone struggles with CFS and hypoglycemia, but I thought it was interesting that getting more protein than my LBM seems to help me.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Not to say you can't get huge on a vegeterian/lower protein diet, but I find it strikingly peculiar that you never see a jacked guy/gal (in the overweight/obese bmi range) talk about the negatives of too much protein in their diet...

not to say that's everyone's goal, but still.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Not to say you can't get huge on a vegeterian diet, but I find it strikingly peculiar that you never see a jacked guy/gal (in the overweight/obese bmi range) talk about the negatives of too much protein in their diet...

not to say that's everyone's goal, but still.

I would agree, most vegans I see look very gaunt and I would bet a huge iron deficiency.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I try and get around 100 every day.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I was reading a blog somewhere and the writer attributed much of his success to eating 100 grams of protein a day.
    Your thoughts?
    My diary is currently set to 58 a day by MFP default.

And this is my 100th post :)

100 seems a little low to me. I shoot for at least 160.
  • charliemarie923
    charliemarie923 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I was reading a blog somewhere and the writer attributed much of his success to eating 100 grams of protein a day.
    Your thoughts?

100 seems a little low to me. I shoot for at least 160.

Thought u meant posts then! LOL duhhhh
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I try to get 100 g of protein a day. I don't always succeed. I'd like to be getting more, however I am a small person, with lower than average caloric requirements, so maybe 100 grams is enough.
  • stratusphr
    stratusphr Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Your thoughts?

All I can tell you is this. MFP recommends 45 grams of protein a day. My doctor recommends 60 - 65, I am going with the doctor. I also know that if I up my protein to between 80 - 95 grams a day, I will lose weight, dietitian that works for my physician, is the one who said, 'To lose, up protein and increase water/liquid' It's always worked, will also normally kick start a plateau.
  • joeylu
    joeylu Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My tae bo teacher who is also a nutritionist said it is good to eat lots of protein.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Besides being necessary for building muscle, you need protein (and food in general) to repair muscle, and recover from injuries that can otherwise become incessant, nagging problems.
  • RitaB19
    RitaB19 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I am a Dietitian/Nutritionist. Your gram of protein per day goal should be based on your body weight and the type of exercise you are doing. If you are strength training and want to gain muscle you should eat around 1.8-2.0 g/kg or up to 0.8-1g/ lb of body weight. I have my macros for protein set at 25% to achieve the above. This is just my recommendation as a RD, it may differ from others on this website. See Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook, most libraries carry this book. Great resource!!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Grams of protein should be based on your body weight.. particularly so if you have muscle gain based goals.
  • izoom3
    izoom3 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Ok, so at 1 gram of protein for every pound.
    So how do I convert ounces of protein to grams to figure out how many ounces to weigh out?