How do I know which calorie value to pick?

Options
Hi. I'm new to MFP. When I'm filling in my food diary, how do I know which of the many options from the list of food values to pick? I had a smoothie for breakfast today which included 4 brazil nuts - but depending on the list entry I choose, the calories vary from 90 to 110... Please help.

Replies

• jennerlnz
    jennerlnz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm not that fussy about a difference of 20 calories. However, I will say that for most dry ingredients and produce, I use a kitchen scale to weigh things and look for entries that work with weight. Far more accurate than a volume measurement for non-liquids.
  • tyzc
    tyzc Posts: 1
    Options
    If I don't know which one to pick, I generally just err on the side of caution and choose the one with the highest calories.
  • hj47
    hj47 Posts: 9
    Options
    But is there a value that has been entered by MFP or are all the entries by other members? And how do other members know what the calorie value of say a banana is?
  • jennerlnz
    jennerlnz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Values added by other members have an asterix next to them. But, ok, bananas... there is an entry there by the gram. I use it every day, so I know this! I peel my banana, weight it, and voila. I checked the entry with another database and it's accurate.
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I get my info from this site. It seems repetable http://www.nutritionvalue.org/ and if I can not find the item at all, I will go with the MFP ones that show lots have agree'd with the valures. (first I get my info off the package if it is there)
  • hj47
    hj47 Posts: 9
    Options
    It all seems a bit confusing when you start out - thank for your help! :smile: