TDEE and weight gain freak out

Options
Been reading about TDEE and it makes sense, this whole 1200 calories on non workout days is pretty crap, so thought TDEE after Easter would be be the best way even though the concept of eating that many more calories seemed scary, but now I'm having a panic. As it's been the Easter weekend I have eaten a bit more than normal, prob around +400 cal sat, sun and mon. Not crappy junk food or chocolate just a bit more of what I normally eat whilst others were eating treats. This would still be less than TDEE -20%. I have been weighing daily just for record. Sat morn scales said+2lbs, Sun+1lb, mon+1.5lb and today +1lb. This really upsets me, I know people will say you can't gain 5.5lbs in 3 days, but yesterday I had planned to record my weight as it had been 4 weeks since I joined MFP and I have no loss to record now as it's all appeared back with just a little more eating and this has really upset me and I just keep thinking how will I lose if I eat even more I'll have to just go back to 1200?

Replies

• theedge56
    theedge56 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    In my very humble opinion one should not weigh more than once a week. There are fluctuations that cause discouragement that are normal.

Also your TDEE is only as good as the information you supplied. Make sure you were honest about normal everyday activity level.

The meals around Easter and most holidays tend to contain large amount of sodium which will promote water retention.

Just some thoughts to do what you will with.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I read some people had (water) gains for a couple weeks before they started dropping weight again with this method. Maybe take pictures of yourself to assure that you are not getting bigger, and it is just the scale trying to fool you into thinking that?
  • PaulJRaymond
    PaulJRaymond Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If not already done so, go to the group below. There are threads in there with people having the same issue. Someone who knows more than me might be able to reassure you

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8017-in-place-of-a-road-map?page=1
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    If you have been eating below your TDEE and gained, its water, not fat.
    Up your water intake for a few days and get weighed on Friday.

And don't panic!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    a few days isnt a good indicator of whether the TDEE method is working... i would try it for 4-6 weeks before you change anything again.

are you doing TDEE -20%?
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

And don't panic!

This is a good article on water weight losses and gains.

http://www.justinowings.com/understanding-bodyweight-and-glycogen-de/
  • Strangegirlz
    Strangegirlz Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    a few days isnt a good indicator of whether the TDEE method is working... i would try it for 4-6 weeks before you change anything again.

are you doing TDEE -20%?

Yes planning on TDEE-20%
  • Strangegirlz
    Options
    In my very humble opinion one should not weigh more than once a week. There are fluctuations that cause discouragement that are normal.

Also your TDEE is only as good as the information you supplied. Make sure you were honest about normal everyday activity level.

The meals around Easter and most holidays tend to contain large amount of sodium which will promote water retention.

Just some thoughts to do what you will with.
    I know, I do usually stay away from the scales and weigh monthly. Weigh in would have been yesterday and I would have thought I hadn't lost any weight in a month if it hadn't been for the fact that I got on the scales on Friday so I could see what the impact of eating a little more would be. That would have left me thinking all my hard work for the month had been for nothing. Not that it's very helpful anyway because now I just think how did I gain over 5lbs in 3 days. So I tell myself again, "throw away those stupid scales, they are not your friend, but your eyes and clothes are" I just don't listen to myself!
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Maybe ask someone you live with to hide the scale from you? I am thinking that that is what I might do...
  • Strangegirlz
    Options

And don't panic!

This is a good article on water weight losses and gains.

http://www.justinowings.com/understanding-bodyweight-and-glycogen-de/

Thanks that is a really interesting read
  • Strangegirlz
    Options
    Maybe ask someone you live with to hide the scale from you? I am thinking that that is what I might do...
    Someone brave for when I tell them I want it back, they are going to have to be strong!
  • Strangegirlz
    Options
    thanks this is great, i've been looking at it over the last week
  • theedge56
    theedge56 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    I know, I do usually stay away from the scales and weigh monthly. Weigh in would have been yesterday and I would have thought I hadn't lost any weight in a month if it hadn't been for the fact that I got on the scales on Friday so I could see what the impact of eating a little more would be. That would have left me thinking all my hard work for the month had been for nothing. Not that it's very helpful anyway because now I just think how did I gain over 5lbs in 3 days. So I tell myself again, "throw away those stupid scales, they are not your friend, but your eyes and clothes are" I just don't listen to myself!
    [/quote]

Add some tape measuring with your scale to see inches lost. Good luck.