Blisters on hand from treadmill

Options
Has anyone else had to deal with blisters on their hands from the treadmill? Did anything help?

BTW...I already know what half of you are going to say, don't hold onto the handles on the treadmill...I'm not allowed to run, so I increase my burn by walking as fast as possible with incline so high that if I'm not holding on I'm pretty sure I'll slide ride off the back. lol

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I get holding on when you're at a high incline and fast pace, but perhaps dial one or the other back a bit and try to not hang on. Other than that, maybe look into getting some weight lifting gloves to wear. It will look a bit silly, but it might help protect your hands.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You need to slow down to a pace where you can walk without holding on or lower the incline a bit so that you can walk at a faster pace.

Frankly, holding on to the sides does nothing for you except throw your body out of whack because it's not natural to have your lower body going and the upper staying still.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    you can walk that fast but you can't run at a moderate pace? Seems strange. Why can't you run?
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I have nerve damage in my left leg from an illness. My doctor told me that I'm allowed to walk as fast as I want, but that I'm not allowed to run because my leg won't hold up for it (of course, he told me this AFTER it gave out on me on a treadmill when I was trying to do the C25K program last year. lol)
  • PandaPudges
    Options
    Get a pair of biking gloves? I mean, I don't use a treadmill, my lovelylove, but when I used to muck out horse stalls or do a lot of gardening with my mom the shovel always rubbed my hands raw so I just used some gloves.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    gloves....fixed.....there you go.
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    What about the elliptical? Or weight lifting gloves.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I agree with the cycling gloves idea. And more specifically, Giro makes a glove called the Zero which has no padding. it is available in fingerless and full finger versions. That's what I use on my bike. I would guess that the glove without padding would be sufficient without being too much.
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I get callousses from lifting so try and wear gloves now - they really do make a difference.
  • prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I would suggest to set the incline and speed as much as you don't need to hold the rails, increase slower, some calories which are shown on the screen will be false if you hold the rails.Do you use a heart rate monitor?If you walk at lower speed, your legs have to work more hard.If you walk uphill on a terrain what will you hold on to?
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! The gloves sound like a great idea.

I do wear a polar HRM.

When I'm walking uphill outside the road isn't moving underneath me...
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Gloves and still need to slow down and not hold hold on. You really are reducing the effort by holding on. Plus to me if you can walk so fast you need to hold that's putting just as much stress on your leg as a slow jog would.
  • dotknott
    dotknott Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If you really want to continue with holding the sides, then yeah get gloves.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Holding on to the rails significantly lowers the actual calorie burn and effectiveness of the exercise so you might as well back off to the point that you don't need to hang on. If you've ever watched Biggest Loser that's the reason Jillian yells at them to keep their hands off the machines.
  • mountaingirl2207
    Options
    I read somewhere that holding on reduces your calories by 67%. So all those awesome calories you think you're burning, you're not. I walk the treadmill at 15% incline, 2.5 MPH and burn an excellent number. And I've never slid off the back.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I get holding on when you're at a high incline and fast pace, but perhaps dial one or the other back a bit and try to not hang on. Other than that, maybe look into getting some weight lifting gloves to wear. It will look a bit silly, but it might help protect your hands.

THIS THIS!!!^^^
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Don't hold on problem solved you actually cheat the engagement of leg muscles. It's like leaning forward on a stair master.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Please for the love of humanity STOP holding onto the rails and or the display apparatus!!!!!!!!!! If you cant do this super super incline without holding on then dont incline it so much........and slow down a bit :bigsmile:

You are only cheating yourself and really lying to yourself if you have to hold on to the machine.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Try carrying some light weights as you walk as this will increase the number of calories that you burn. If you also do bicep curls as you are walking - you will get some free resistance exercise out of that time too!
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Slow your incline pace down by .3 give or take. I love my hill climbs on the treadmill. I have it set to 8 or 10 and pace at 3.8. I have to walk very fast but never hold on.