Menstrual Cycle Weight Gain

Options
Ladies,

I was wondering if you would share with me whether or not you gain weight either before or during your monthly cycle...if so, how much? I have gained almost 5 lbs in a matter of 2 days with only eating 500 calories over my allotted amount. Since I am expecting my period anytime soon, I am wondering if it is just b/c of that. God, I hope so! Furthermore, do you loose the weight after your period is over?

Any comment/advice would be MUCH appreciated!

Replies

• crabbok
    crabbok Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It's probably water retention. I tend to gain alot of weight (3-4 pounds) on days where I take in saltier foods and retain more of my water. (Granted I drink about a gallon a day).
  • MadeInDR022
    MadeInDR022 Posts: 260
    Options
    I gain before, but its because I start eating food higher in sodium. I usually resume my normal eating habits when it arrives and the weight comes off.
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I generally see an increase in my "weight" of about 2-3 pounds during that time of the month. It is not fat gain because I don't tend to overindulge, so I don't worry about it.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I can easily gain five pounds from all the hormones around "that time". My weight usually doesn't go back to normal until about the third day into my period. Hope that helps :)
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Most women DO gain weight during this time. I'm strange, because I actually LOSE weight, but be assured that weight gain is the norm. Just keep doing what you're doing, and after it's over, you will notice a good weight loss.
  • katelyonszentar
    Options
    asparagus always works for water retention, a great diaretic!
  • Kalee34
    Kalee34 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I gain anywhere from 2 - 5 pounds during my menstral cycle. It is usually gone again by the end of my cycle.
  • LabMonkeySteph85
    Options
    I gained 7 pounds this time, even though normally I gain only 2-3. It went away a few days after my period was over and took an extra pound with it!
  • ayanna32
    ayanna32 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Agreed, the salty foods were a big shock for me. I had to go through my dairy and determined the days I ate a lot of soup, my sodium was weigh high and the scale increased a couple pounds. Also the menstral blotting is real - ditch the scale during this time.
  • meganbook
    meganbook Posts: 71
    Options
    I consistantly gain about 3-4 pounds right before my period. It's funny to look at my weight progress reports because it looks like an EKG. Every four weeks there's a huge spike. It always goes back down, in fact I had mine last week, and I lost the weight already and an extra pound. Stupid hormones! Don't worry about it :-)
  • ttesta20
    ttesta20 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, definitely a noticeable difference around that time! I was 4 lbs heavier this month, but it went back to normal on the second day. I'm chalking it up to water retention and crazy hormones!
  • mummyzena
    mummyzena Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I can gain up to 7lbs over 11 days (starts the week before and only starts dropping on the 5th day) takes 2/3 days to return to normal.xx
  • tjfrisque
    tjfrisque Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this same thing. I always gain about 4 pounds the week before my period and I'm also alot more hungry during that time. About two days after getting it my weight usually drops.
  • chera79
    chera79 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I definitely gain weight during that time of the month. Usually about 3lbs during the week leading up to it. And then by the time it's over the weight gain is gone.
  • MariaL93
    MariaL93 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The scale always goes up before my period. Between 2-3 pounds. Didn't catch on to this until a couple of months ago and buying 3 new scales.
  • SheriBethB
    SheriBethB Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I gain about 5lbs the few days before my period starts. It comes off usually by the last day of my period. This month is rough because I have Easter ham and chocolate in the house at the same time I'm pms'ing....my willpower has not been the greatest.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I do feel bloated and gain some weight because I am generally feeling lethargic before it is about to begin. I try very hard to eat whole foods and try to get in workouts from the third day onwards. I am too bummed the first two days to do anything but lay around in bed. Don't stress about it. Focus on eating right and get light workouts in. If you get giddy at any point, I'd stop and just take it easy. Your hemoglobin is usually lower than normal when you have it and that might give you dizziness.