A Calorie is a Calorie?

Options
So with this whole topic of TDEE and such, I wanted to know what the general opinion is on MFP about calories.

I always believed that a calorie was a calorie. Losing weight was as simple as calories in/calories out. But when I started Atkins (did this for about a year - not recommended imho) I was brainwashed into thinking that carbs were bad, fat and protein was good etc, etc. Now I am no longer afraid or carbs, I hear that I need proteins and should stay away from fat, but I see a lot of discussion on the internet about calories and I am not sure what to believe anymore. There are a million and one studies about either...

If you wanted to lose weight, do you believe it matters what your calories consist of, or do you think it doesn't matter as long as you stay within your caloric range for weight loss?

Replies

• hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    In terms of losing weight, a calorie is a calorie. Eat a deficit of calories by only consuming chocolate, and yes, you will lose weight.
    However, chances are then you'll be losing muscle mass instead of fat. In order to change your body's actual composition, and burn fat instead of muscle, that's where it's important to watch out for your fat, carb, and protein intake.
    Neither fat nor carbs are "bad". Eat both in moderation, your body needs it. Load up on protein, fiber, and all your vitamins. Exercise for at least 30 minutes a day, and you'll lose weight from unwanted fat, not muscle. By eating healthier things rather than all chocolate will also actually give you more sustainable energy, help you remain full, and focused. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    a calorie is a calorie, but to me the better quality calories, the better quality results!

i am an IIFYM girl, i have my macros at roughly 45% carbs, 25% protein and 30% fat... as long as i more or ess hit these goals i will eat what i want....
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    a calorie is a calorie, but to me the better quality calories, the better quality results!

i am an IIFYM girl, i have my macros at roughly 45% carbs, 25% protein and 30% fat... as long as i more or ess hit these goals i will eat what i want....

So would you get your carbs from things considered less healthy like pasta and rice and bread?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie. And different macros are important for different reasons. Carbs are a easily accessible source of energy. Protein supports muscle maintenance and growth. Fats are great for brain and organ function. Different people prefer different macros based on their physical activity and how a certain split makes them feel.

I have mine set at 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fats. I try to hit over 100g of protein every day, to support my heavy lifting. I like to get a significant amount of carbs, as I run 3-4 times a week and a lower level of carbs would make me feel tired and weak. I keep a 30% fat ratio because fats make me feel fuller and keep me satisfied.

I also strongly believe in IIFYM. I try to eat plenty of nutritious things every day, but I also allow for treats. This keeps me on a plan of moderation and helps me make more long-term healthy choices.

Also, why do you think rice, pasta and bread are less healthy?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie. And different macros are important for different reasons. Carbs are a easily accessible source of energy. Protein supports muscle maintenance and growth. Fats are great for brain and organ function. Different people prefer different macros based on their physical activity and how a certain split makes them feel.

I have mine set at 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fats. I try to hit over 100g of protein every day, to support my heavy lifting. I like to get a significant amount of carbs, as I run 3-4 times a week and a lower level of carbs would make me feel tired and weak. I keep a 30% fat ratio because fats make me feel fuller and keep me satisfied.

I also strongly believe in IIFYM. I try to eat plenty of nutritious things every day, but I also allow for treats. This keeps me on a plan of moderation and helps me make more long-term healthy choices.

All of this, especially the bolded parts.
  • JamesChargerWolf
    JamesChargerWolf Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yes, as others have said: it's important to hit your macros and micros. Do that first, then fit in the less nutrious/still delicious foods you like. Genrally advised to be no more than 20% of your calorie goal.

Once you get into it, you'll find a balance that works for you. I love cereal, and there's nothing wrong with it but it makes ME hungry. So I choose not to eat cereal for breakfast since it throws off my day. But others have no problem with it. If bread/pasta/whatever is a problem for you, then eat less of it. But there's nothing inherently wrong with them. You can choose whole grain varieties for more fiber and satisfaction.

FInd the Eat, Train, Progress group and join. Lots of good info there.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

So would you get your carbs from things considered less healthy like pasta and rice and bread?

yep!

to be honest i dont eat much bread, but i have cereal or porridge for breakfast most days and eat plenty of rice and potatoes.

i have wheat free pasta most of the time, but that is only because my husband is wheat intolerant so we have it in the house.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    Options

I also have my macros at 40/30/30 because I do lots of cardio, but I find it hard to hit my carbs, because like I said before, I was brainwashed into thinking that carbs are bad. So I automatically stay away from them. And I said that they are "considered" bad (white bread, pasta, rice). I am starting to believe more and more that yeah, a calorie is a calorie.

It is just really frustrating to have Mr. Atkins in the back of my head saying that carbs will make you fat -_- But seeing my slim friends around me eating white bread, pasta etc and stay slim, it doesn't add up.

I will have me some ravioli for diner, how is that? :)
  • kelleyannclemons
    kelleyannclemons Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The way I understand it (and please don't be upset with my lack of 'technical' knowledge) is that muscle tissue is more readily available for the body to use as energy. You have to make sure you are fueling your muscles in order for the body to look towards the fat cells to start burning. Mind you, fat cells are not readily available. When the body goes to use the excess calories once they have been stored, the body needs to tell those cells they are needed, then go through another process for the body to turn them into usable energy, once that is finished, the body uses the "stored fat" for its energy consumption. This is why it is important to eat back your exercise calories because your body will see that so much is being burned and look for the easiest place (your muscles) to go for its energy. Seems counterproductive.

While there may be holes in this logic, it is how the TDEE process started to make sense to me. I hope this helps.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    Options

yep!

to be honest i dont eat much bread, but i have cereal or porridge for breakfast most days and eat plenty of rice and potatoes.

i have wheat free pasta most of the time, but that is only because my husband is wheat intolerant so we have it in the house.

I absolutely LOVE bread. Definitely the thing I missed the most during my Atkins days. Not a big rice and potato fan but I would like to add some pasta into my diet.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    For weight loss a calorie is a calorie.

However most people are not interested in weight loss, they want fat loss. For fat loss, macros are important.

Protein = Building blocks for repair, recovery, and muscle growth.
    Carbs = High output exercise fuel
    Fat = Low output exercise/just sitting around fuel.

Almost everyone will benefit from eating more protein. The only exception are the cool kids who are already into eating lots of protein.

If you live a couch based lifestyle, carbs are no good. The more exercise you do, the more you benefit from more carbs (with one largely irrelevant for this discussion exception).
  • squatsandlipgloss
    Options

However most people are not interested in weight loss, they want fat loss. For fat loss, macros are important.

Almost everyone will benefit from eating more protein. The only exception are the cool kids who are already into eating lots of protein.

If you live a couch based lifestyle, carbs are no good. The more exercise you do, the more you benefit from more carbs (with one largely irrelevant for this discussion exception).

But do you think it would matter where you get your carbs? So either from fruits and veggies or from bread and pasta? As long as you hit your macros?
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a unit of heat. So yes a calorie by definition would always be a calorie.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie. It makes no difference when it comes to weight loss . (Unless a person has a medical issue such as diabetes or PCOS.) If you eat at a deficit and the only thing you eat is cake you will still lose weight. The issue with types of calories is vitamin related. You need vitamins from a well-balanced diet to be healthy.

Losing weight does not mean that someone is acutely more healthy.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options

But do you think it would matter where you get your carbs? So either from fruits and veggies or from bread and pasta? As long as you hit your macros?

If your only goal is weight lose then it does not matter. If you are talking about overall health then yes it does matter.
  • jybdrummer
    jybdrummer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I believe a calorie is a calorie. The reason most people lose weight on Atkins is because it's essentially a low-calorie diet. You give up high-calorie carbohydrates and replace them with lower calorie protiens. But a balanced, low-calorie diet combined with daily exercise is the best way to lose weight.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    Options
    I believe a calorie is a calorie. The reason most people lose weight on Atkins is because it's essentially a low-calorie diet. You give up high-calorie carbohydrates and replace them with lower calorie protiens. But a balanced, low-calorie diet combined with daily exercise is the best way to lose weight.

Very true, even though the low carbers won't agree... When I did Atkins I could hardly hit 1,200 because I literally got sick of eating all that fat and protein. So yeah I would lose weight fast but I was sick and miserable all the time, also because I didn't work out at all. Now I eat more balanced and I exercise 6 times a week, BUT my calories are still way too low...

Want to up them but I don't see me hitting my macro goals with the food I am eating that is all considered "healthy". I can only eat so many eggs, veggies, fruits. Therefore was interested about everyone's thoughts on calories.
  • waldo56
    Options

The body is extremely efficient at breaking down all forms of carbs into simple sugars, quite rapidly (saliva is really good at this). The source really doesn't matter at all.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    Options

If your only goal is weight lose then it does not matter. If you are talking about overall health then yes it does matter.

A very clear answer. Perfect, thank you!
  • waldo56
    Options

No it doesn't. Unless you are diabetic and have a dysfunctional insulin system, the source of carbs doesn't matter in the least bit. Carbs are carbs.