Interval Training on the Elliptical Machine

Options
kittina
kittina Posts: 10 Member
Can someone give me an interval program for an elliptical machine? I have access to two types of elliptical machines at the gym Cybex & Lifestyle both have various levels of intensity (Cybex looks like it can go up too 100 and the Lifestyle I haven't reached the total max but when doing normal cardio I stick around the 6-7 range) and the Cybex machine also has incline. Any information will be helpful.

Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• gz960
    gz960 Posts: 7
    Options
    My machine has built-in programs in various degrees of difficulty. All of which are intervals. Maybe you could check if either of the machines you can use are pre-programmed. The calorie count on mine is way off so beware...
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I'm working with at trainer and use the elliptical for my interval training...very short bursts of 200+ steps (24 seconds), and a recoup period (36 seconds)...burns the heck out of fat! 5 reps...ouch.
    Beats me up, that's for certain:)
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I have an Octane and some of the variation programs include squat, cycle backward while pulling arms, or squat and cycle forward pushing arms - those are short burst programs done at 2 minute intervals. Much harder than it sounds!!
  • sergeant771
    Options
    My personal trainer has me doing my eliptical based on strides; two minutes of 160+ strides per minute forward, followed by one minute in reverse at 110 strides per minute. For first 10 days I did a minute forward (160+) and a minute in reverse.

Prior to that I would grind along at a steady speed with lots of incline and resistance. Personal trainer said that was like cruising along on the interstate in your vehicle at 60MPH getting maximum fuel mileage. On the other hand, start and stop with fast and slow speed burns more fuel. Made sense and it seems to be working.

806322.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I do it by varying speed at the same resistance. Ours count by RPM and i will go at 85 for .25 miles, then 95 for .25, then 105 for .25. Then I work my way back through backwards. 95 averages a 7.5 minute mile on the Lifecycle machine that I use and seems to go very closely with what I can do running. I also monitor heart rate closely and will come off of 105 if I get above 180 bpm.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    The car talked about earlier has gears and you do not, remember that you have to multiply speed by 8 to double calorie (power) output, so don't get stuck on trying to do things faster for long periods. You are better off with spending more time slow than less time fast, so don't hurt yourself thinking you have to go faster. Just work to keep your heart rate high but in check and improving on a weekly basis. Doing more can result in injury.