Too big to exercise?

Options

Replies

• angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I"m 5'2 and my heaviest weight was 224. I started slow with just walking a couple miles a day.
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Up until now I've been raised and lived in a lifestyle where sedentary was encouraged and almost praised. Now I'm at the very unhealthy weight of 220lbs at 5'2 and only 23 years old.

I want to be healthy for a number of reasons; I like to be active and involved with out door activities, I want to have energy to keep up with my daily life, and above all I want to feel great about myself.

But I've tried looking up all kinds of exercises and routines, cardio and strength, but with the amount of body fat I have lots of poses and such almost hurt to do because of the contortions the stretches require to effect my muscle. As embarrassing as it is to say; the fat is in the way of doing a complete crunch or knee-high, or even push-ups.

Where do I start? I literally -can't- do a lot of these muscle-toning activities. Is walking/jogging/cycling really my only option for now?

For some of you "bigger" folk, or some of you that started "bigger", what did you do to shave off your initial inches?

I definitely don't think you are too big to exercise. Making the decision to get healthy is a big first step. Like most people are saying start slow. Walking will help. Try push ups against the wall instead of on the floor. You can also try wall sits and squats up against the wall. You could also try some low weight dumbbells for some arm exercises.

Good luck in your journey.
  • tiffanyjofisher3
    tiffanyjofisher3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I started with Richard Simmons - I know it's old but, he really motivated me and he has bigger people doing his workouts with him in the video. I had to buy mine on Amazon but saw a couple at Walmart. I'm still large but have worked my strength up considerably :) I would recommend starting with Sweatin to the Oldies
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    WALK!!!

When I started, I could barely do anything but walk - bad knees.

Walking is great and it will build you up to other stuff.

Good luck!
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Walking is where I started at 258 lbs. I walked in the freezing cold outside to get my butt moving. Once you get better with walking and your body is more in shape for excercise try the BIggest Loser DVDs. I love them and they helped me lose a lot of weight - see ticker. You just gotta get moving and using mfp to log your food intake is key too.

Good luck!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    You are NOT too big to exercise. Have you seen those contestants on the biggest loser? Many are much bigger than you and they managed to get something done.

Stop looking for excuses, becuase you'll always find one.
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I started at 266 lbs, down to 231 now. I have a recumbent bike that's easy on my back, knees, and legs (which is good, because I have Fibromyalgia. It's the one exercise I can do a lot of as long as I'm careful about leg cramps).

I also do strength training with free weights. At the gym: stationary bikes, treadmills, and weight machines.

You aren't too big to exercise, girly. You just gotta find what works with you.
  • AmberLee2012
    Options
    Find a Zumba class! You can modify the movements to go at your own pace. There are all sorts of shapes and sizes in the class that I take and the age range is 7 years old to 70+! It's a lot of fun and it's a great environment for a work out. I absolutely love it. Feel free to friend me on here to help keep motivated. Walking & biking are great exercises for beginners too. Throw on some tunes and go to it. Adopt a pup or borrow a friend's dog for extra motivation :)
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11" and started at 365ish on the elliptical. If I wasn't too big then you should be fine. Did I get on it the first time and do an hour? No. Was I probably sore? Sure. The point is that "I can't feeling" you are feeling is just your mind telling you it'd be easier to just watch TV rather than exercise. Power through it.
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I too would recommend baby steps. If you make sure you're eating well, you'll see some weight-loss with walking/swimming and then maybe once the first few pounds are off, you'll notice that you can start adding in other exercises. For strength training, you could always try some wall squats, knee-planks, and maybe trying push-ups on an incline against a wall?
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and I starting weight was...well I said 196 because that sounded better then 200, in my head....but anyway, my starting exercise was just walking, walking as fast as I could for 20 to 30 minutes and every week I would increase the walk time. You can do this, it is so worth it
  • BeautifulBrownButterfly
    Options
    Walking is always a good start if you don't have a track or not comfortable walking outside there are tons of dvd's that involve walking "walk away the pounds" is a good start 1,2,3,4 or 5 miles you choose how you want to do it. You can even add hand weights that works for me. You can find her dvd's on youtube Leslie Sanson or dance dvd throwback Richard Simmons Sweating to the oldies that's fun. Check your local Library for dvds I think they are free to check out atleast at my library they are. Add me if you like I love to cheer people on. Good Luck!!
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Nope, you're never too big to exercise.

My starting weight was 290. I lost my first 15 pounds just playing on my Wii Fit. That was month 1. The second month, I joined my local gym and started doing easy 20 min. walks on the treadmill 3-5x per week. I found Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds DVD's for home. Lost about 10 more. Then I tried out the elliptical and started doing weight machines. 10 more gone. I then got together with a personal trainer for a month and started strength and circuit training with medium free weights for 1 hour 2x per week. Then I started C25K (running program) and learned to run. By this time, I was 247 pounds. 8 months into exercising, I ran my first 5K at 230 pounds. I didn't have a fast time or beat any records but I finished!! Along the way I also started lifting really heavy weights. I found the Stronglifts 5x5 program. Barbell compound lifts - squats, deadlifts, bench press, rows, overhead press. I didn't lose too much more weight but the inches started flying off. Lifting changed my body shape so much! The jiggly bits started disappearing. My body was noticeably firming up. And man was I getting STRONG! Every day life has become so much nicer since I started lifting. It makes every day activities so much easier like bringing groceries in, moving furniture, ect. Also my chronic back problems have improved by 95%! My back used to kill me all the time. Not anymore :smile:

My point is to start small and gradually work your way up. When I first started I could barely do a 15 minute Leslie Sansone workout video. Now I can do her 1 hour 5 mile superwalk. I look forward to my workouts. If I don't exercise I feel weird like something is missing. Find something you like to do that you'll stick to and make exercise a part of your lifestyle. You won't regret it.

You can do it!!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Couch 25k. There is no reason why you can't, unless your Dr says that its a bad idea.

Just don't worry about everyone else, really they don't even care what you do. If anything when I see someone new to running out there, I wave and nod.

Walking is fine, but that just seems boring, and least with c25k you have a plan and a goal in mind.

Also lift, lift, lift heavy. NROL. You want to try to retain some muscle.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I started cycling when I was about 216. I couldn't handle running, but I could handle sitting on my butt and reading for an hour a day.

I started running when I was just under 200lbs. Kept running on the C25k program till I had lost 20lbs, at about 180.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I started at 187 5'2. I lifted weights 3 days a week and started on a elliptical, I was only able to do about 10 minutes. I can easily do 45 minutes now and am 156lbs.
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    To start, erase CAN'T from your vocabulary. If you go into this with a defeated attitude, you may as well quit now because you're not going to get anywhere. This is mental as well as physical.

If the exercises you're doing hurt that bad, take it down a notch. Start with walking or other forms of cardio. Both the elliptical and arc trainer are low impact machines that will burn massive calories. They're easy on the knees and something I was able to do after a complete knee reconstructive surgery.

If you're interested in taking the home DVD route, I suggest the Extreme Makeover Workout dvd. It's a lot like the 30 Day Shred, but Chris Powell has aimed it toward those just beginning and are really out of shape or injured.

What you eat will also play a role in how you feel when you exercise.
  • freebird777
    Options
    Girl, I hear ya. I'm 5'3" and currently 240, but I was almost 250 when I started. I say do what you enjoy and feels right to you...your mind and body. I personally don't give a **** what people think of me, so I do a lot of activities that big girls "shouldn't do"...dancing, Zumba class, body pump class, spinning, yoga (with yoga I listen to my body and do what I can do right now). But I also walk/jog sometimes too. I realllyyyyy want to get into lifting free weights so my trainer friend is going to start helping me with that. My point is...do what makes you happy and what makes you feel good, and just listen to your body. If walking is it, then go with it! You're in charge. Plus it's awesome that you have free access to the center!
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    It helps to lose a bit of weight before starting exercise, but it isn't necessary. I started off 70+ pounds overweight and at nearly 60% body fat. I did the keto diet for 3 months, lost 30 pounds. Then I started Couch to 5k and I lost the remaining weight over the course of another six months. I am now down into the lower 20's in body fat %. Personally I recommend my approach, but only because it worked for me.

You need cardio to burn fat. How you go about that really isn't important. You can walk, hike, run, lift weights, bike, whatever. I am skeptical of the workout DVD's because I always mistrust someone who is trying to sell me something, especially when it comes to diet and weight loss. There are too many hucksters out there and I just default to mistrusting them. However, if they make you sweat, and increase your heart rate enough to get you into the 140-160 BPM range, then go for it. All that matters is you get your heart pumping at a higher rate than is normal. The most important thing is to find something that you can do on a regular basis and not dread it.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU CAN DO FOR EXERCISE IS FIND ONE YOU LIKE DOING.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I agree that the Walk at Home DVDs were awesome. When I started my journey I was 399 pounds. I was in the same boat - everything hurt and it was difficult to do many of the exercises that I saw others doing. I walked. I walked and walked and walked. I started wih a distance - from work to the end of the road (for example) and then tried to get there faster and faster as the days went along. When I was finally able to get tjat distance down to a science I increased the distance. I made up my mind I would walk rain or shine - snow or wind - every excuse under the sun is available so I chose to not validate any of them. I would also say be aware that you can go too far too fast. I saw someone else mantion that you might burn out if you try to do too much. This is very very true!

I recently had a baby and have 15 pounds left to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight. I've started Couch to 5K and we are in week 3 now (running three minutes at a time!) All I can tell you is - if this completely sedentary 400 pound girl can go it and report three years later that it works and she's keeping off the 200 pounds - you can do it too :smile: