"You'll always struggle with food."

Options
RedVelvetCurls
RedVelvetCurls Posts: 304 Member
Hi guys. I was talking to a customer at my work on Saturday, and he and his wife were asking about my weightloss. I told them how much I'd lost, in how long, what I did to lose it blah blah and then he said to me:

"Well done, that's brilliant, but you'll struggle with food for the rest of your life now."

I kind of blinked and let it pass over my head, but to be honest it's stuck with me ever since. What do you guys think he meant? This is a behavioural thing he's talking about, it must be, because I can't physically be so hungry as to eat 4000 calories a day again. But when I think about it, I don't really know what he meant and I'm sitting here trying to wrap my mind around the logic of his comment.

Do you guys always struggle even though you've slimmed right down? Do you think that, even though some of us make life changes, there's always a chance of falling back on food again?

Personally, I don't think so. But this is due to a fear reaction. When I think about how large I once was, I become scared and this is really what keeps me in line. Maybe I'm scared because I subconsciously struggle?

Replies

• SGocka
    SGocka Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm done with my weight loss but I struggle over food.

I find myself obsessing over what to eat.

Trying to make healthy choices and get my macros correct is difficult and frustrating sometimes.

I don't have a problem with not eating junk food though.
  • FrustratedYoYoer
    FrustratedYoYoer Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different but I never really thought about food half as much as I do now since losing weight. Sometimes I do wonder if it's a problem but I'd rather be obsessing about the right kinds of food I should be eating rather than mindlessly eating a load of junk every day. Sometimes it gets me down and I wish I could be more "natural" and intuitive with my eating habits and but overall I would say it is worth it and I have a better quality of life
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is different. For some people that might be the case. It might be something that they have to work at for the rest of their lives. Would I used the word "struggle"? No. He probably meant that often people have a hard time keeping weight off long term. BUT I think that is because most poeple don't view weight loss in a long term perspective. You have heard the phrase on here, "its not a diet, its a lifestyle change". Its very true, and that IS something that will now and forever be a part of your new healthier life.
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I think generally everyone who has ever allowed themselves to get overweight did so because of either mental or emotional blockages which they used food to compensate for. I think that's what he means, you can figure it out, but at some point something is going to trigger the initial response that craved/utilized the food and it's going to be a struggle to prevent you from going to your coping mechanism. I'm a perfect example, I lost 40 pounds to get to where I was very happy, but then I got a little depressed and I went right back to junk food to make me feel better and put back on all 40 of them plus 2-3 more before I realized I couldn't do this to myself.

I will always struggle with food and using it as a coping mechanism, I just need to remind myself how hard it is to get the weight off and to make better choices when I'm in a depressed state.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people say rude crap like that. There is always some naysayer ready to speak defeat over someone else's success. :mad: Tell them your struggle is over, hence the weight loss!
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I think what he means is "Oh, so you are a fat person on the inside. Guess it's still ok to insult you then"

(I'm being facetious, but people have really odd ideas about weight loss, especially if they put fat people into a "BAD" category and thin into "GOOD" and then when people cross over that line, what to do? Or maybe he just wants to lose weight himself and is jealous. It certainly doesn't sound like a positive thing to say.)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Mentally it can be a struggle to maintain the weight, and some people would say you are more prone to gaining if you have previously been overweight. Slow and steady progress which involves eating right and exercising regularly so that it becomes part of your lifestyle and not a quick fix is the ultimate solution to this issue. You may still have to be mindful of your eating and exercise, but as we get older, we all eventually do, so.

That aside, a lot of people lose weight via crash diets (very low calorie diets, replacement shakes/bars, cabbage soup diets, whatever the fad is at the time), which also slow their metabolism and cause them to gain any weight lost and more as soon as they return to normal eating. People are used to seeing others lose weight quickly and then rapidly gain it again, so they mistakenly think it isn't possible to keep it off. Again, slow and steady...

Best of luck.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for almost two years now, and it's just as "hard" as losing, but... I don't consider any of it "hard work" anymore.

I have to log what I eat most of the time. I have to exercise regularly, and to eat the way I want to eat and get/keep the results I want, I have to exercise pretty vigorously. But I don't consider that anything out of the ordinary. It's just part of being a responsible, healthy adult.

Of course I have to watch what I eat, which some might call "struggle with food," but it's like saying, "You paid off a great deal of debt, but you'll always have to keep track of your income and expenses." Of course I will. It's the right thing to do.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your degree of food addiction or compulsiveness to comfort eat. For some of us bigger losers I think it will always be a struggle with food. I've slowly come to accept that when I get to maintenance it will be the same things logging, portioning, and moving. Food for me will always be an issue there will always be some anxiety when eating out or when I go to work and there are doughnuts. I think in a way, for me, that man was absolutely right.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I think for most people who have been significantly overweight, yes, food is always something you have to think carefully about. I know when I go 'off plan', when I stop watching what I eat, it's incredibly easy for me to slide back into bad habits. That's the reason so many people struggle to keep weight off.

But forewarned is fore-armed. You know that it might be a challenge to keep 'at it', and stay focused. So keep that in your head, and make sure you have a plan.

I probably wouldn't chose to frame it as 'always struggle' - that seems so unecessarily negative. But I certainly think that the factors that led to significant weightgain don't disappear simply because I've decided to lose weight. I still have a tendency to eat emotionally. I still like to eat when I'm bored. I have a love affair with carbs that just doesn't disappear that easily. I know how to eat healthy. I choose to eat healthy, most of the time. But it's always a conscious choice.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hi guys. I was talking to a customer at my work on Saturday, and he and his wife were asking about my weightloss. I told them how much I'd lost, in how long, what I did to lose it blah blah and then he said to me:

"Well done, that's brilliant, but you'll struggle with food for the rest of your life now."

I kind of blinked and let it pass over my head, but to be honest it's stuck with me ever since. What do you guys think he meant? This is a behavioural thing he's talking about, it must be, because I can't physically be so hungry as to eat 4000 calories a day again. But when I think about it, I don't really know what he meant and I'm sitting here trying to wrap my mind around the logic of his comment.

Do you guys always struggle even though you've slimmed right down? Do you think that, even though some of us make life changes, there's always a chance of falling back on food again?

Personally, I don't think so. But this is due to a fear reaction. When I think about how large I once was, I become scared and this is really what keeps me in line. Maybe I'm scared because I subconsciously struggle?

In a sense, your customer is offering some good insight. I lost 120 pounds 11 years ago only to gain it back because I personally failed to recognize viscerally that food can be an addiction. I did not follow the advice I was given to stick with the food/exercise diary and refused to accept that I was addicted to food. Just as grape juice is to an alcoholic, the food diary is to someone who is a food addict. What makes being a food addict even tougher than an alcoholic is that food is necessary for life whereas alcohol is not so much. I fully plan on making a food/exercise diary a part of my daily life even after achieving goal weight. I will NEVER again be without the accountability that it provides.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Welll that was rude of him. I believe that every person is different so who is he to say you will always struggle with food? It sounds like he was jealous, like those people who have to point out that you will gain all of your weight back in a year. They don't know about it being a lifestyle yet, I guess. Anyway, I don't consider planning my meals, purchasing healthy foods, enjoying some not-so-healthy foods once in a while and enjoying my food a problem. I enjoy my food 100% more now because I take the time to prepare tastier foods, I savor every calorie that I do put in my mouth and I look forward to cooking it. You CAN change your habits and live with them for a lifetime. It's called a lifestyle.We were created to enjoy food but it doesn't have to be a struggle!
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    You received some very good responses so far. I agree with most of them.

I also think that he was just stating a fact. Men can be so blunt!

Like a previous poster stated, "when you get older, you will struggle as well." So may as well forearm yourself.

I didn't have a weight issue until I reached my 40's, then packed on 20 lbs. I started myfitnesspal and stopped a few times figuring I could do this on my own. I gained 5-7 lbs each time. I now know I must log my calories for the rest of my life and yes, it will be a struggle.

I think I would suggest therapy for young people who take the weight off. Much of their eating is for emotional reasons.
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I don't think he was being hateful or "jealous" or negative or whatever the hell else people are saying. "Struggling with food" is a common saying---it just means that you'll always need to be mindful of what you're eating in order to maintain. Which is true.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options

"yeah, I know what you mean, just like you struggle with rude, insulting, moronic comments for the rest of your life."
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I think I would suggest therapy for young people who take the weight off. Much of their eating is for emotional reasons.

Nope. I just enjoy food.

As I approach goal and have a few more 'off' days I realise that I will never be able to control myself unless I log. I am coming to the realisation that I will always need to log and if I don't I will put weight back on.

Everyone is different but for me, I would have to agree with what your, albeit rude, friend said.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Well, in the process of losing weight, I developed an ED, and I WILL always struggle food in a particular sense. I still have feelings of guilt if I eat something "bad", and I stress when I go out to eat somewhere that doesn't have nutrition information available. I worry on my rest days that I'm not burning enough calories to cover the food that I've eaten. Sometimes I won't eat when I'm hungry because I worry about eating too much, only to get to the end of the day and see that I've got a 1000 calorie deficit. It's just a mindset, and it's one that I am working to get out of.

Perhaps he lost a lot of weight in the past, and that comment just came from his personal experience, versus him meaning anything rude.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    it depends on how you lose the weight. If you lose it in an unsustainable way, e.g. cutting your calories too low, then you will always struggle because you keep the weight off the same way you lost it, and you slow your metabolism in the process if you eat too little

However if you lose weight with small, sustainable lifestyle changes and a moderate deficit, while exercising to look after your lean body mass, your metabolism doesn't slow as much, and as the lifestyle changes are sustainable, it's a lot easier to maintain your goal weight.

I used to be obese, I'm now maintaining my weight without difficulty. I use this site to track calories while bulking and cutting (I'd like to improve my body fat percentage a little and also gain lean mass and increase my strength by a lot) but I can maintain my weight without needing to track, just a little attention to portion control, listening to my body (i.e. stopping eating when I'm full) and not going OTT (and by OTT I mean something like McDonalds every day... fast food once a week or once a fortnight doesn't stop me from maintaining, I get a water weight gain from the sodium which goes away again within a day or two, that's it)
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Define "struggle". Having a legitimately hard time knowing what is good for me and what are loaded with empty carbs and superfluous calories and training your body and stomach to be satisfied with less is not the same as always being health conscious and caring about what you fuel your body with.

I wouldn't let the comment bother you, chances are it wasn't meant to be rude, it was just an ignorant thing to say. Clearly they had no idea what they are talking about, and probably don't have the first idea of how to lose weight and live a healthy lifestyle. But you do! Ignore them.