Protein Bars

Options
Ok, another protein question. This one is about protein bars. I'm doing P90X and having a hard time getting the calories in when I eat healthy since veggies are so low in calories and i'm not a big meat person. I hate tofu as well. I'm considering a protein bar, but what do I look for in one? Can anyone recommend a brand that doesn't taste gross?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    We have had good luck with the Pure Protein brand ones, they are decent
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I tried a LUNA bar and was in heaven. It was one of the best things I ever ate lol. I hate sweet things but this has me hooked.:smokin:
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Ok, another protein question. This one is about protein bars. I'm doing P90X and having a hard time getting the calories in when I eat healthy since veggies are so low in calories and i'm not a big meat person. I hate tofu as well. I'm considering a protein bar, but what do I look for in one? Can anyone recommend a brand that doesn't taste gross?

Check out this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/103186-what-is-the-best-protein-bar?hl=pure+protein+high+protein+bar#posts-1424189

I like Pure Protein as well... :smile:
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Luna bars are my favorite. They have the correct amt of protein in them and are under 200 calories. My snacks are always under 200.
  • BeerKahuna
    BeerKahuna Posts: 52
    Options
    I've been using Premier Nutrition bars. They come in a box of 12, 3 flavor variety pack. I actually like them a LOT!

I buy mine at COSTCO and they are quite reasonable - 2, 12 count boxes for just under $21.

The 3 flavors are: Double Chocolate Crunch (my favorite), Chocolate Peanut Butter, and Yogurt Peanut butter.
  • GrammaPower
    GrammaPower Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I too have a tough time fitting in enough protein, so I started using Premier Protein Bars (I get them at Costco) and each bar has 30 (THIRTY !) gms of whey protein. Also use Cytosport Protein Plus powder - I like vanilla - 27 grams protein per scoop. I put it ( 1/2 scoop) on my rolled oats, non-fat yogurt, smmoothies - just about everything in an effort to match proteins w/ complex carbs! :bigsmile:
    Also use Cliff Bars (1/2) for a snack).
  • Iffer75
    Iffer75 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Check out this video on all Beachbody.com supplements. At about the 29 sec mark, that talk about the protien bars. I personally have not tried them, but I hear they are excellent.

http://beachbodycoach.com/esuite/home/jjtonic75?bctid=1886155233

How far along are you in the program? Are you doing Lean or Classic? I have done 2 rounds and love the results. Keep up the great work. :bigsmile:
  • alphaip
    alphaip Posts: 86
    Options
    I had trouble losing weight when I went on protein bars. Too much sugar. If you don't have a big appetite, you may could try egg whites in many different forms (mixed in with rice, omelet, etc).
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I had trouble losing weight when I went on protein bars. Too much sugar. If you don't have a big appetite, you may could try egg whites in many different forms (mixed in with rice, omelet, etc).

Pure Protein (2g sugar +4g sugar alcohol))
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Check out this video on all Beachbody.com supplements. At about the 29 sec mark, that talk about the protien bars. I personally have not tried them, but I hear they are excellent.

http://beachbodycoach.com/esuite/home/jjtonic75?bctid=1886155233

How far along are you in the program? Are you doing Lean or Classic? I have done 2 rounds and love the results. Keep up the great work. :bigsmile:

I'm doing the lean program. This was my 2nd attempt, the first time I got to Day 50 but wasn't taking it seriously and wasn't seeing results.
  • KristyO
    KristyO Posts: 126
    Options
    Zone bars are pretty good. They are crunchy instead of chewy, which I like. The mint chocolate is my favorite.
  • cassandra1220
    cassandra1220 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I've been using Premier Nutrition bars. They come in a box of 12, 3 flavor variety pack. I actually like them a LOT!

I buy mine at COSTCO and they are quite reasonable - 2, 12 count boxes for just under $21.

The 3 flavors are: Double Chocolate Crunch (my favorite), Chocolate Peanut Butter, and Yogurt Peanut butter.

Premier Nutrition products are fantastic. The shakes are great too!
  • baggins706
    baggins706 Posts: 310
    Options
    Atkins Protein Bars.
  • KiriKiriKiri
    KiriKiriKiri Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Think Thin! They are gluten free, natural and taste decent! Check out the website!!! I am doing P90X as well... I also just picked up a box of Kashi Chewy Granola Bars because they are natural, loaded with nothing but good stuff and quick protein on the run...
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Larabars are delish, and Promax isn't bad either. Def check out Kashi's stuff. Stay away from think thin (the one I had was awful)
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    My absolute favorite is the Luna Bar - Caramel Nut Brownie, even my 5 year old thought it was a cookie.
  • KiriKiriKiri
    Options
    Larabars are delish, and Promax isn't bad either. Def check out Kashi's stuff. Stay away from think thin (the one I had was awful)

What kind of Think Thin bar did you get? That's a shame...

But then again, I am not used to eating sugary stuff, so anything the least bit "sweet" sends me over board, which is why I am not a fan of the Larabars or Luna Bars ;)
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Why not make your own? That way you know EVERY ingredient that's in them, and you can 'customize' them to your caloric needs. Message me if you want a good, 'basic' recipe.
  • KiriKiriKiri
    Options
    Why not make your own? That way you know EVERY ingredient that's in them, and you can 'customize' them to your caloric needs. Message me if you want a good, 'basic' recipe.

Yes! You def can!!! I make my sons food and granola/protein bars because he is on a special (Feingold) diet... very easy to do! I just don't eat the same thing... but yep you certainly can! :) Do you make your own?
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein Peanut Marshmallow Eclipse are awesome or, as suggested, you can make your own.