mio, crystal lite, etc. yay or nay?

Options
2»

Replies

• krystal193
    krystal193 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I don’t like the grainy taste of powdered flavor additives plus the Aspartame in them is not healthy. :sick: I only use the liquid Crystal light flavors occasionally when I eat dinner. Its zero calorie but I might try the frozen fruit thing just to get a little variety. :drinker:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I have read that our bodies react to mio/crystal light the way it reacts to sugar (i.e. similar gycemic index). I use mio sometimes and crystal light never. I'm a coffee drinker and when I'm not drinking that I'm chugging my water (plain). Diet soda also has a high glycemic index due to the sweeteners. Plus most of them have sodium causing water retention. This is just my 2 cents.
    This is false.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It's fine if you are counting calories. I've heard some artificial sweeteners can increase the appetite for sweets. But honestly, if you count calories anyway then there is no real risk.
  • JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I just need a little flavor in my water. I like to put in about 1/2 packet of True Lemon drink mix in my 16oz water bottle. It's sweetened with stevia instead of aspartame, and I barely use any, so I don't feel too bad about it. Most of the time I drink herbal tea and plain water though.
  • Lindsay_1984
    Lindsay_1984 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Nay for the most part, but okay every now and then.

There is nothing good about artificial sweeteners (unless you are just worried about cutting out calories). Studies have been done that correlate them to weight gain and other health problems. Water flavorings with artificial sweeteners, colors, and flavorings are basically the same as diet soda. Only difference is they are not carbonated. Would you drink diet soda all day long?

With that said, just try to moderate how much of it you drink a day. Maybe try to limit to one artificially flavored drink a day, and the rest of the day drink water that is flavored naturally with lemon or lime, tea, or fruits.

Once you get into the water habit it is no big deal.
  • jeansgirl
    jeansgirl Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Mio and Crystal Lite are very high in chemical compounds. I find that I get very ...well almost addicted like to them..even propel...which I love...is like that. I am trying to avoid all those chemicals...I am going to try the frozen berry trick, sounds great!
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I didn't like Mio but I love the Dasani drops!
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I prefer to drink my water because it's a necessity, and have coffee, tea or diet soda (yes) when I want to enjoy the drink.
  • escalada22
    escalada22 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I love regular water, but have noticed when I do add some Crystal Light or Flavor packs (which I only do half a pack to one water) I am more thirsty than normal. I guess it is good in a way because I am drinking more water, but after a couple of the flavored waters I would rather just have plain!

I do love tea but have not been drinking that like I use to. Good ol' water especially since I have been working out! My body craves it@!
  • tigersword
    Options
    Mio and Crystal Lite are very high in chemical compounds. I find that I get very ...well almost addicted like to them..even propel...which I love...is like that. I am trying to avoid all those chemicals...I am going to try the frozen berry trick, sounds great!
    Uhh, water is very high in chemical compounds...
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I love the Crystal Light liquid that they came out with! A little goes a long way with the drops.
  • magpie0
    magpie0 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Crystal light is nice to wean yourself off of diet pop and onto water. Gradually, I'm diluting the powder more and more.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid all things that contain artificial colors like mio, crystal light (regular), etc. Read the ingredient list. Too many chemicals in food already (at least in the U.S.)

I use Crystal Light Pure once in a while. Tastes good with no artificial colors.

Artificial colors are banned in foods in most other industrialized nations.
  • bella19741974
    Options
    I only drank crystal light ...........
  • tigersword
    Options

Artificial colors are banned in foods in most other industrialized nations.
    I see people attempt to make this (false) claim all the time, yet I have never once seen anyone actually be able to name a country that has banned all artificial colors. European Union allows them, US allows them, Canada allows them, and on and on.
  • bella19741974
    Options
    hi im anna,
    i need some help with losing weight, ive losted 5 pounds so far, but it looks like i'm still fat.. i hate the way i look... ive been eating healthy foods like tuna, i drink crystal light always with my foods, i do cadio 4 times a week.. what type of foods are lose in fat & calories, and what not to eat... if anyone can help me, that will be great..
    thx
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Nay for me personally but only because in recent years, if I consume more than a single serving (8 oz) or so, I get a headache that feels like motion sickness. I used to drink crystal light all the time in my 20s but for some reason, I just can't anymore (I think it's the artificial sweetener since I can't drink diet soda anymore either). I miss the pink lemonade. C'est la vie.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    throw in lemon slices, but you can put all kinds of fruit in it, without all the calories, and even cucumber and mint is good in it.

^^ this. I love the taste of plain water but if you need some flavor, your better off naturally flavoring your water with any fruits that you like. Those drink additives are just chemicals.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    throw in lemon slices, but you can put all kinds of fruit in it, without all the calories, and even cucumber and mint is good in it.

^^ this. I love the taste of plain water but if you need some flavor, your better off naturally flavoring your water with any fruits that you like. Those drink additives are just chemicals.

Those natural flavors are also chemicals.