How do you weigh yourself?

Options

Replies

• LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I weigh every Monday morning just after I wake up, and what I get then (consistently) is what I record, even if I don't like it.
  • charlezm1965
    Options
    I wake up every morning and make a beeline for the bathroom. After urinating and with no clothes, I get on the scale. That's the weight I record.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Since your high weights can be inflated (digesting food, water retention), but the lows cannot (you can't fake your lean & fat mass), I weigh every day or so and only log the lowest weight I see in a 7 day period.

It doesn't discourage me. What's your approach? Also, do you include the number after the decimal? lol

HAH! I do the exact same thing. I even include the decimal cause I'm crazy like that.
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Every morning, wake up, pee, and then weigh immediately (naked).

I LOG my lowest weight on MFP and then struggle to get back there when it fluctuates, but I don't let it affect my day.

Since I'm at a pc all day, and OCD about tracking - I have a spreadsheet going back to day 1 !! (see link)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ap_xdSfSgdz3dHRsZWV3ZHZWQ0FmUnhpcGhva0pqaFE#gid=9

I find I usually weigh my best at the end of a work week, because I'm less likely to eat poorly or load up on sodium during the week. Monday mornings, not so good if I drank or had a high-sodium meal. I've found over time that even though my weight fluctuates in a big way, over the course of a month, there is always a downward trend. It helps keep me going when I take 2 steps forwards and 3 steps back.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    everyday, after going to the bathroom, naked...
    This. First thing in the morning. But only log Saturday's weight.
  • mikeroobuddha
    Options
    Every morning without fail and before a cup of tea, it's interesting to see the daily fluctuations and relate them to good and bad choices I made....
  • dearly4ever
    dearly4ever Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    every morning before I shower.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Every morning, wake, brush my teeth, pee, weigh, shower, log. I love to see the daily fluctuations. Doesn't bother me at all. I find it fascinating. I log on MFP and a mobile app that shows trends.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh myself every day, but I don't know why the heck I do this! I'm trying to ONLY do it once/week going forward and that's always first thing in the morning wearing my running clothes, so they're always the same.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week, on Thursday morning. I log that number regardless if it's up or down.

And yes, I add the number after the decimal point! :laugh:
  • japanluv21
    japanluv21 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself with an empty stomach, after I go to the bathroom, with NO clothes on, and exhale as much as I can. I count the first decimal after my weight.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself bi-weekly now that my weight loss has slowed significantly. But I weigh in the morning. Naked..everytime!
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    With a scale... pretty sure thats how everyone weighs themself.

As for the methodology... I weigh in once a week, and what ever it is that week is what it is. Does that mean I believe it? Nope not always, I usually use how my clothes fit as a guage or how I look in pictures.

Yes I include the decimal, I am a little anal about stuff like that though.
  • ninjakowski
    ninjakowski Posts: 158
    Options
    I don't have scales at home so I weigh myself at the gym after my workout on Mon-Wed-Fri.
    Mostly just to keep track of the trend, I'm trying to maintain and my weight is usually pretty stable unless I've been a bit of a pig.
    Sometimes if I know its going to be bad I'll skip a weigh in so I don't get too upset :laugh:
  • trifona
    trifona Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself 2x a day. I'm sure some of you are shrieking now in horror!

First thing in the morning after waking up, after going to the bathroom but before I drink anything or workout.

Second time is after I get home from work in the evening; as its usually been several hours since I've eaten and I typically am so well hydrated in the morning and early afternoon that I do not drink much water after 2-3pm.

I have a Wi-Fi Aria scale that records everything for me and I plot it into excel along with my workout plans / results. No individual reading is that important to me. What I do pay a great amount of attention to are the long term trends to make sure I keep pace to hit my goals and get healthier shape.

Between that process and my records on MFP, it truly is amazing seeing how the body reacts to things like sodium intake or even a carb heavy meal. I definitely feel more educated now and am making better choices because of these extra steps I take.

So far this has worked for me. It keeps me disciplined and at the same time gives me mini goals along the way every 5-10lbs.
  • Cyndi146
    Cyndi146 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Since your high weights can be inflated (digesting food, water retention), but the lows cannot (you can't fake your lean & fat mass), I weigh every day or so and only log the lowest weight I see in a 7 day period.

It doesn't discourage me. What's your approach? Also, do you include the number after the decimal? lol

This is a great method. Gonna do this!
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself with an empty stomach, after I go to the bathroom, with NO clothes on, and exhale as much as I can. I count the first decimal after my weight.

LMAO you exhale?! I mean this playfully, but really it wouldn't make a difference lol. Consider a balloon's worth of air and how much that weighs...
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    If I weighed more than once a week, I'd start obsessing and that's not good for me. I weigh first thing Saturday mornings after doing my business and wearing nothing but my glasses so I can read the numbers. I do record the number after the decimal because if I didn't, there would be weeks I wouldn't see a loss.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning after I shave before I brush my teeth. I take that day's weight and plug it in to a spreadsheet (as well as MFP) but that spreadsheet calculates the 15 day moving average, which is the only weight I actually look at when it comes down to caring about my weight loss.

That's interesting. How do you set it up to calculate a moving average.
  • SlimSumday
    SlimSumday Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning in the nude just before I put on my clothes for the day. I only record if the weight has gone down at least a half a pound. :smile: