Getting so annoyed, about to pack it all in!!!!

Options
I am getting so frustrated now with all this food business. I really want to swear!!!

I seriously cannot do it!

I want to lose body fat, I have the awful post baby belly wobble. I don't want to lose weight! I am going to the gym and working out, that I am happy with! But I cannot get a grasp of the food!

I either try to eat as healthy as I can, but barely reach 1200 calories GROSS!! Or I end up eating things that are deemed not so healthy just to boost it up. I cannot win.

I get told to cut out crap and up my calories, but when I do I just can't get enough calories (I have re-planned my tomorrows diary and I am on 1009 calories, tomorrow is my gym day where I generally burn around 300-350ish calories (I will add now the past few days have been really bad food wise)). I get told to eat MORE protein and to view the "goal" as a minimum rather than a maximum, but I can't as I have kidney disease and need to monitor my protein intake.

I then get told eat peanut butter, nuts, avocado etc, but I do not like them. As is I HATE them!

So how? Please tell me? How the hell do I eat enough calories, not go over my protein and not eat crap like chocolate to boost it up?

I am about ready to give up the calorie counting!

*sorry for the rant*

Replies

• 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk is a good calorie filler as well as a good post-workout recovery drink. However, it sounds like, with your kidney disease, you need to talk to a nutritionist or dietician and get a professional opinion rather than a bunch of yahoos on a web site. Good luck!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Have porridge for breakfast. Toast with cheese for a snack. Some more rice or pasta with your donner
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    What's your workout like? Maybe switch your mental focus from what you're eating to what you're doing in the gym. You say you don't want to lose weight, so maybe switch your focus to what you're doing in the gym. I don't know what your workout looks like so I can't comment further on that.

If you're looking for body recomposition, you might want to read up on the subject online. Lyle McDonald has a website devoted to it, at www.bodyrecomposition.com that might be a good place for you to start. Or just start googling and getting different opinions.

Yes, you're happy with what you're doing in the gym, but it might not be working for the results you want. You may need to incorporate more strength training if you haven't already.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Stay calm. Relax.

Use the KISS method. Keep It Simple Stupid.

Eat the same exact foods you were eating before you started. Don't change anything. Just weigh and measure all your food. For the past 16 months, I ate the same foods I have always eaten. I just weighed and measured EVERY SINGLE thing I put in my mouth. I lost 88 pounds within 10 months.
    And have been maintaining the last 6.

SLOOOOOOOOOOW and Steady. No rush.
  • EmmaReed84
    EmmaReed84 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I guess I am just getting a bit frustrated.

I think I will have to look at adding more pasta and rice.

It is so hard with so much conflicting advice, being told to cut down on carbs and have more fruits and veggies. Then being told off for not eating enough calories LOL. At the moment it just feels like a no win situation, I guess I still have A LOT more learning to do.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Whole grains (old-fashion oatmeal, quinoa, barley, etc..), lentils, beans (so many varieties and recipes), olive oil, cheese, fish (tuna, salmon, herring, mackerel, etc..), raw/unprocessed seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, etc..), whole wheat pasta. Full fat versions of cottage cheese, yogurt, milk, Italian dressing. The list is endless. Visit healthy recipe sites like skinnytaste.com.

Step away from the cardio machines and start lifting dumbbells and a loaded barbell.
  • EmmaReed84
    Options
    What's your workout like? Maybe switch your mental focus from what you're eating to what you're doing in the gym. You say you don't want to lose weight, so maybe switch your focus to what you're doing in the gym. I don't know what your workout looks like so I can't comment further on that.

If you're looking for body recomposition, you might want to read up on the subject online. Lyle McDonald has a website devoted to it, at www.bodyrecomposition.com that might be a good place for you to start. Or just start googling and getting different opinions.

Yes, you're happy with what you're doing in the gym, but it might not be working for the results you want. You may need to incorporate more strength training if you haven't already.

For the past few weeks I have cut down my cardio to about 30 minutes (10 minute warm up, then 20 minutes ellpitical/treadmill)

I am also doing a lot of TRX stuff and weights. I do this 3x a week. Also on one day the trainer at the gym does a circuit with a few ladies who have kindly invited me to join them so I do that one day as well.
  • JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned about boosting your intake healthily without being really full, try eating 6 mini meals. Snack on nuts, yogurt, string cheese, hardboiled eggs, etc. if you want to boost your protein intake. There are a lot of foods that are calorie dense without being unhealthy. If you're not trying to lose weight, you really should be eating more than 1200 calories, especially when you're working out.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    You are going to have to learn to like foods with good (unsaturated) fats. The "I just hate them" sounds very childish.

I can go "I need to loose weight but I HATE everything but burgers and donuts, give me a healthy diet that works with these restrictions". I may not be a fan of many veggies, but I've learned to like them, because of what they do for me. I come up with different ways of preparing them, or incorporating them into dishes. That is part of being an adult.

P.S. You might hate nuts because you only had bad packaged ones. Try buying fresh untoasted ones from bulk bins and roasting them yourself. They can be delicious.
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    How about potatoes with olive oil.. sure calorie builder and will help you at the gym.. I eat almost 500 calories a day in potatoes
    and I never gain any weight.
  • EmmaReed84
    Options
    You are going to have to learn to like foods with good (unsaturated) fats. The "I just hate them" sounds very childish.

I can go "I need to loose weight but I HATE everything but burgers and donuts, give me a healthy diet that works with these restrictions". I may not be a fan of many veggies, but I've learned to like them, because of what they do for me. I come up with different ways of preparing them, or incorporating them into dishes. That is part of being an adult.

P.S. You might hate nuts because you only had bad packaged ones. Try buying fresh untoasted ones from bulk bins and roasting them yourself. They can be delicious.

Well I would like to like them, but whenever I have had nuts I get a bumpy rash all round my neck and cheeks. As for avocado, well I guess that is something I will have to try more and more of.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    IIFYM. If I have calories left and pizza fits into my goals and I want pizza, then I eat it. Same with ice cream, toaster strudels, cookies, crackers, etc. IIFYM then eat that *kitten*.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    It is so hard with so much conflicting advice, being told to cut down on carbs and have more fruits and veggies. Then being told off for not eating enough calories

The solution is to take what advice you get as a suggestion rather than a rule. Not everyone can do what everyone else does....especially when you have medical issues. I can relate. You have to do what is right for YOU and not the guy/girl in the last post. Its not an exact science....you have to use a little trial and error. You will find your path....just keep trying. :)
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

1) I want to lose body fat, I have the awful post baby belly wobble. I don't want to lose weight!

2) I either try to eat as healthy as I can, but barely reach 1200 calories GROSS!! Or I end up eating things that are deemed not so healthy just to boost it up. I cannot win.

3) I get told to cut out crap and up my calories, but when I do I just can't get enough calories (I have re-planned my tomorrows diary and I am on 1009 calories, tomorrow is my gym day where I generally burn around 300-350ish calories (I will add now the past few days have been really bad food wise)). I get told to eat MORE protein and to view the "goal" as a minimum rather than a maximum, but I can't as I have kidney disease and need to monitor my protein intake.

4) I then get told eat peanut butter, nuts, avocado etc, but I do not like them. As is I HATE them!

So how? Please tell me? How the hell do I eat enough calories, not go over my protein and not eat crap like chocolate to boost it up?

I am about ready to give up the calorie counting!

5) *sorry for the rant*

1) Strength train

2) Eat "healthy" whole foods and have a treat at the end of the day. Like ice cream or cookies. Just make sure you're within a healthy calorie deficit

3) Monitor your protein intake. Keep it low as per your doctors orders. Make up the extra calories with fats or carbohydrates.

4) Salmon, tuna, steak, and bacon are all perfectly healthy fats as well. Still do try to include nuts and seeds in your diet.

5) Don't worry about it.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I don't see any reason to cut down on carbs, especially if you have kidney issues, as I do. I tried increasing my protein to 25% of calories and within a couple of weeks I was VERY sick. I keep it at 15%, and my carbs at 55%, and that works just fine for me.
  • ShannonS2714
    ShannonS2714 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've had numerous people tell me to eat my calories no matter how I get them....I don't always agree with this, but if you need to eat chocolate in order to hit your calories, then EAT CHOCOLATE! :happy:

When I was exercising regularly, my favorite go-to breakfast was an English muffin with one egg, a slice of cheese, a slice of Canadian bacon, and a little ketchup....was around 400 calories.

I do agree with one of the other posters....having kidney disease, I would talk to a nutritionist that can tell you the healthiest way to hit your calorie goals for you.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I too struggle with this. I have no trouble eating enough cals if I add in junky snacks, but when I stick to healthy (which I need to do since i have high cholesterol even though I am very slim) I fill up before i've had enough cals.

My kids also struggle with this as teen athletes.
  • spirytwynd
    spirytwynd Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Keep it up and maintain focus. Yes, talk to a trainer to help you modify your exercise approach, and talk to a nutritionist to help with the food. Since you have kidney issues, involve your doctor. As you shed the fat (baby bubble), you should be bulding muscle, which will help you keep from dropping too much weight. It is like traveling. To get somewhere, you need to know where you are, define where you want to go, figure out how to get there, then stick to it! The simple postage stamp is successful by simply sticking to it until the end! Good luck!

Lank
  • Tishy78
    Tishy78 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You can definitely make some small changes to add some healthy-ish calories. Do you like eggs? You can slice a hard boiled one up and eat on a salad to add some extra cals and protein. Eggs in general would be a good addition if there is a way you can manage to eat them. I also use a bit of olive oil to cook my veggies.

And you know what? I have something sweet every day. While you don't want to use half your calories on it (at least on a daily basis - sometimes I just have to splurge :smile: ), there is nothing wrong with a little treat!

In the end, you really just have to figure out what works for you. A lot of stuff about eating this way or that can work for one person but not others. You'll figure it out and get that body you want soon enough.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    1) I am confused as to why you can't just eat more of what you are already eating to make up the calories - if you don't want to introduce more calorie dense foods.

2) If you aren't trying to lose weight, why on earth are you set to only 1,200 calories?

3) How long ago did you have your baby? I weighed the same postpartum as I did prior to getting pregnant, it took, oh 9 month to a year for my stomach to go back.