Artificial Sweetener

Options
13»

Replies

• jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    try different brands of Stevia. I've tried 3-4 and only like the Trader Joe version so far....
    I thought Truvia was disgusting. You also have to be careful not to use too much stevia, or everything tastes bitter!
    I've noticed that Stevia tastes different, from brand to brand. Some brands are very bitter for me also. I've found a brand that is really quite good tasting... for me. I also like the taste of Truvia, but am not thrilled with the added chemistry, so, since I've found a brand of a more natural stevia that works for me, I'm a happy camper.

In-short - don't assume that all stevia products are the same.
  • MallorieGreiner
    MallorieGreiner Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I use Shur Fine artificial sweetener when baking "healthier" versions of my favorite treats. Moderation, just like everything else. I use real sugar and honey as well.
  • ytweety5
    ytweety5 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I use Sweet Leaf Natural Stevia Sweetner on my strawberries and it tastes very good.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    None.
    Agave nectar is yummy.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I don't really like an of them but have heard good things about Truvia...just haven't tried it yet...

It is the worst tasting of the bunch. It's a brand of stevia.
    Actually, not true.

Truvia is actually VERY low in stevia (about 1%, used to give it a 'natural' ingredient list) and is about 99% erythritol. Erythritol is one of the few sugar alcohols that both tastes good (I find stevia nasty also), and doesn't cause the stomach upset or glycemic spikes still seen with others such as sorbitol and maltitol.

I give this mostly from a diabetics standpoint, but keep in mind that Splenda, while tasting good, includes so much maltodextrin (a starch) as to still spike most diabetics at least somewhat.

If you're NOT a diabetic (or insulin-resistant for a variety of possible health reason), natural honey or agave nectar/syrup are some good-tasting choices.
  • elizarou
    elizarou Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Radical idea, but how about none? :) Just grow to enjoy the taste of whatever you're sweetening. The obvious question I have is if you don't like the taste of what you're consuming and have to put too much thought in to changing it why consume it at all?

Amen.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Ok, so what's ok to use? My trainer used to tell me to stay away from them all, but I also realize that too much real sugar isn't the way to go either. I cannot tolerate sorbitol or aspartame, they both give me migraines. I have also had issues with Splenda giving me some digestive problems. I truthfully cannot stand the taste of artificial sweeteners, and can tell immediately if something has artificial sweetener in it when i taste it. Any suggestions on better options? I have used honey on several occasions, but sparingly. Have folks tried and liked Stevia? Thanks in advance!

Sugar.....in moderation.
  • marciabwls
    marciabwls Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I use liquid Stevia.. I think it is the best..Just saying.. Don't care for the packets of Stevia.. I only use it in my tea...
  • dsgoingtodoit
    dsgoingtodoit Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I've recently stopped drinking diet soda...because of the dangers of aspartame. A friend is a neurosurgeon...and he says that there is hard evidence to prove that the damage to brain cells is beyond what is being reported. The impact to the nervous system in general - is detrimental. New studies are showing that while you consume a food with aspartame in it...your brain sends the signal of "euphoria" while brain cells are actually dying off. So - we all know there is alot of research out there...and you have to do what is best for you...but...

..just food for thought....http://www.naturodoc.com/library/nutrition/aspartame.htm

I agree with others that encouraged you to consider stevia - so many versions of it - you'll find one you like.
    Agave is awesome.
    A little regular sugar - is way better for you than the artificial things out there.... IMHO.

Best of luck on your journey.