Work Lunches!

Options
Hi Guys,

Looking for some help!
Have been making chicken cous cous for work, chicken salad, chicken sandwiches....

Looking for some new ideas! Have a fridge in work too so no issues there.

I was wondering about tuna based lunches you can make & bring to work??

Any healthy tuna pasta salad ideas??

All suggestions greatly appreciated!!!

Replies

• mmfitandhealthy
    Options
    Well, when I make tuna salad I use nonfat plain Greek yogurt instead of mayo. That cuts down on some fat and calories. :)
    But I usually pack wraps. Like, every day. Haha. I get la tortilla factory low carb high fiber wheat tortillas (they are DELICIOUS), and put like turkey, hummus, spinach, carrots,...whatever you want!
  • Clm81401
    Options
    Sounds as though you might just like to change up your starch. If you have never made Tabouli or even had it you must try. Get your bulgar at a whole food store in bulk it is very cheap, don't get it in a grocery store. Run a search on it it is pretty much just made the same in them all. It is very very filling and stores very well. Then take chicken, or tuna, maybe a left over peice of salmon. Good luck to you.
    Cec
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I don't really like Tuna...I usually do turkey sandwiches if I don't have any left overs from the night before. Or soup. Or you can make a salad and bring it with you. Glad and Ziploc make smaller plastic containers now that are perfect to put dressings in, so the salad doesn't get soggy.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Dinner leftovers. My wife is a great cook.
    Add in some frozen veggies and a splash of Cackalacky sauce. Yum.
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have been making fish meals for lunch. They are fantastic.

1 piece of fish with a little seasoning salt
    1/2 cup of brussels sprouts cut in half
    1/4 red pepper cut into bite size pieces
    1/4 sweet potato cut into bite size pieces
    1 tbsp margarine on top

I usually use tilapia but you can use any kind.

put all of the raw ingredients in a tupperware container. I use the plastic containers from chinese take out.

microwave for 5 minutes

243 calories
  • agulamali
    agulamali Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Dinner leftovers or protein smoothies. I can make these in 5 minutes in my Magic Bullet. Both are quick and healthy work lunches.
  • determined136
    Options
    I make a big batch of turkey chili. It is 109 calories for a 1 cup serving. This is my protein and then I add beggies and fruit or a string cheese or even a couple tablespoons or light sour cream. It is filling and easy. I freeze it in individual servings and them its ready to go always and it keeps my lunch cold.

If you want the recipe just message me.

Good luck!!
  • jehan
    jehan Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have been making fish meals for lunch. They are fantastic.

1 piece of fish with a little seasoning salt
    1/2 cup of brussels sprouts cut in half
    1/4 red pepper cut into bite size pieces
    1/4 sweet potato cut into bite size pieces
    1 tbsp margarine on top

I usually use tilapia but you can use any kind.

put all of the raw ingredients in a tupperware container. I use the plastic containers from chinese take out.

microwave for 5 minutes

243 calories

Great idea. This sounds like a dumb question, but would the raw fish affect the vegetables? Like its smell?
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I usually make brown rice with 1-2 cans of tuna. Today I have added cherry tomatoes and cucumber to it though! I find that just a mix of tuna and brown rice seems to fill me up!
  • Iwanttobe180lb
    Options
    I make a big batch of turkey chili. It is 109 calories for a 1 cup serving. This is my protein and then I add beggies and fruit or a string cheese or even a couple tablespoons or light sour cream. It is filling and easy. I freeze it in individual servings and them its ready to go always and it keeps my lunch cold.

If you want the recipe just message me.

Good luck!!

I'd love to try your turkey chilli!
  • nau05242
    nau05242 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I some times make salsa tuna pasta which is a tin of tuna mixed with some pre bought salsa and a handful of wholemeal pasta tubes. I like steamed salmon too which I have with cajun spice ontop and a side of veg + cous cous.

Mainly I have cottage cheese for lunch because I LOVE it with crackers and salad...mmmmm Today I have Beetroot soup, hummus and veggies to dip in :) Enjoy lunch!

Exx
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I've pinned these ones recently:

Smoked herring and potato salad (you could substitute tuna; I personally think herring is more interesting and more eco-friendly!): http://chocolateandzucchini.com/archives/2013/01/smoked_herring_and_potato_salad.php

Grown up tuna noodle casserole: http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-grown-up-tuna-noodle-casserole-recipes-from-the-kitchn-182849

Tuna cabbage salad (on its own, in a wrap, on bread...) http://www.thekitchn.com/lunch-recipe-crisp-tunacabbage-1-125558

I often have leftovers for lunch...like...

Pasta with pesto, fish (normally mackerel or sardines), sweetcorn and pine-nuts

Quinoa with roasted vegetables and nuts/seeds

Vegetarian chilli made with lots of beans and quinoa/rice
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    You don’t have to have any kind of meat to make a great lunch, I have green salad leaves, beetroot, mushrooms (raw) red and green peppers, radish, low fat coleslaw, cottage cheese, grapes, baby sweet corn, tomato, cucumber, green olives, enough to fill a 500ml container, and along with some rice cakes it’s a couple of hundred calories but still takes time to eat, time enough for your body to know you’ve eaten and are now full. But if you add an ounce or two of tuna, it's still a reasonably healthy and filling sald

The problem with left overs (and I love left overs) they tend to have a lot of calories in for a little amount, which is ok as a main meal, but even half a slice of lasagne is 300 calories, and that’s about 4 bites, and you’re done.

Don’t get a lunch break so I eat at my desk. Nice and simple meal in a box with a lid, eat between calls can take an hour.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love this beautiful pasta salad.
    Take it with me in a lunch box with a fork.

Roast Pepper & Sundried Tomato Pasta Salad with Mozzarella:

Dressing

½ clove garlic
    1 roasted pepper plus 1 tbsp oil from jar
    4 sundried tomatoes plus 1 tbsp oil from jar
    1 ½ tbsp tomato puree
    1 ½ tbsp red wine vinegar
    a few basil leaves
    salt and pepper

Topping

sundried tomatoes
    basil
    spinach
    low fat mozzarella

Whizz up the dressing ingredients in a kitchen machine or with a blender and taste for seasoning, then set aside.

Cook your desired pasta until al dente, then cool under cold water, to stop the cooking process.

Toss the cold pasta in the dressing and then fold in some chopped sundried tomatoes, fresh basil, chopped spinach and crumble in some mozzarella.

(Adapted from here: http://www.tinnedtomatoes.com/2009/08/roast-pepper-sundried-pasta-salad-with.html#.URD75-hj0y5
    I always have low fat mozzarella instead of feta, because feta is too salty for my taste. I also like to add some chopped spinach to up the veggie intake and I use whole wheat fusilli or penne)
  • shortstuff189
    Options
    I absolutely love this beautiful pasta salad.
    Take it with me in a lunch box with a fork.

Roast Pepper & Sundried Tomato Pasta Salad with Mozzarella:

Dressing

½ clove garlic
    1 roasted pepper plus 1 tbsp oil from jar
    4 sundried tomatoes plus 1 tbsp oil from jar
    1 ½ tbsp tomato puree
    1 ½ tbsp red wine vinegar
    a few basil leaves
    salt and pepper

Topping

sundried tomatoes
    basil
    spinach
    low fat mozzarella

Whizz up the dressing ingredients in a kitchen machine or with a blender and taste for seasoning, then set aside.

Cook your desired pasta until al dente, then cool under cold water, to stop the cooking process.

Toss the cold pasta in the dressing and then fold in some chopped sundried tomatoes, fresh basil, chopped spinach and crumble in some mozzarella.

(Adapted from here: http://www.tinnedtomatoes.com/2009/08/roast-pepper-sundried-pasta-salad-with.html#.URD75-hj0y5
    I always have low fat mozzarella instead of feta, because feta is too salty for my taste. I also like to add some chopped spinach to up the veggie intake and I use whole wheat fusilli or penne)

That sounds amazing - thanks a million!! :)
  • page68
    page68 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I make a big salad bowl every Sunday night and portion it for the week (I usually get 4 days out of it).

It includes:

chopped lettuce
    celery
    peppers
    shredded raw cabbage
    matchstick carrots
    & broccoli slaw sometimes

I add fat free crumbled feta and chopped olives at serving time. To change it up, I use tuna or a leftover protein.

I add a 100 calorie flatout, pocket thin or the like because I like a carb at lunch time.

I've been eating clementines as a "desert" but will switch to a more seasonal fruit soon.
  • chickiec28
    Options
    I've posted this on a couple of different boards here, but it's so good that I wanted to share here as well:

My recipes are dinners, but I usually bring leftovers for lunch. I love pizza and couldn't bear the thought of giving it up, so i make a casserole with the same flavors.

1 pound hamburger
    5 large mushrooms, sliced
    1/2 bell pepper (whatever color you prefer), chopped
    1/2 medium onion, chopped
    2 cups shredded mozzerella
    about 20 pepperoni
    Hunt's traditional spaghetti sauce (i use about 1/2 can which is 1 1/2 cups)
    Pizza seasoning
    2 Tbsp minced garlic

Brown the hamburger with Italian seasoning and garlic. Drain and place in an 8X8 glass pan. Cover with spaghetti sauce. Layer veggies. Cover with cheese and put pepperoni on top. Bake in oven for about 20 minutes at 400, or until cheese is bubbly.

If you divide by 4 servings, 595 calories and 15 carbs
    If you divide by 6 servings, 397 calories and 10 carbs

Everyone loves this recipe and nobody seems to notice that it's low-carb. :)
  • JamieA8
    JamieA8 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    For tuna, I don't like Mayo so I make it with wing sauce. I found it on the Starkist website and modified a little

1 can chunk light tuna in water

2 Tbsp Wing sauce (I use Ott's)

1 stalk minced celery

1 pita pocket or 1 tortilla

½ cup Shredded lettuce

1-2 Tbsp. Blue Cheese Dressing(Optional)

Directions
    Place tuna in a small bowl. Mix in wing sauce and celery shredded lettuce and dressing.
    Fill tortilla or Pita.

This is usually two meals for me.
  • kindergartenfrog
    Options
    I eat tuna at lunch a lot. I replace the mayo with spicy brown mustard and add vinegar! It tastes great!
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I love tuna salad and recently found that I can replace more than half the mayo with yogurt and it's just as good. So yeah, make lower-fat tuna salad, and put it in a pita or plop on top of some salad.

Other idea-- I've been frustrated lately because when I cook for myslef (which I do a lot) I don't easily know the calorie count. So Sunday I made a big pot of soup and added up the total cals of all the ingredients, and then ladled it into 5 containers. Now I know the # of calories per serving! Problem solved.