low sugar, low carb lunch ideas

Options
2»

Replies

• KeepingChocolate
    KeepingChocolate Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I like doubledoufa's suggestions. Printing those out now. : )

I enjoy making low carb pizza (it isn't exactly like pizza since the "crust" is mostly egg and cheese, but it tastes really good - even my teenagers enjoy it and it smells great). Drawback is that it takes awhile to make, but if you make one the night before, it does reheat well. Here's a link to a recipe (I don't have the one I use since I'm not at home right now): http://www.food.com/recipe/low-carb-pizza-84516
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    60-100 is what many "lower carb" plans recommend and this level has the advantage of boosting fat loss without eliminating fruit. Most people on this type of plan elect for eliminating grain and sugar and consume a couple of pieces of low-fructose fruit per day.

100-200 grams of carbs would still result in some fat loss over an extended period--depending on the activity level. Those who are very active, would probably perform better at the upper end of this carb range. The 200 gram range would not be a fat-loss plan per se, but would result in fat loss if the person were running a lot and restricting fat although depletion of essential fatty acids could be a problem in that scenario.

I personally cannot eat over 100 grams of carb per day or my fat loss just comes to a screeching halt, even if I stay well below my calorie allowance.

Interesting. What number of calories is this based on? surely if you are eating 2000 calories you will be having more carbs than someone eating say 1200 no? I'm at 1800 - set to 45% carbs. Lower carb is something I am likely going to be looking into but quite honestly I am not sure how much lower I could go and still eat 'normally'. My family have no need to be on a reduced carb diet so I have very few things I could change. Just curious :)

Most lower carb plans do not emphasize counting calories but if you eliminate sugary foods and grain, you will find that it is difficult to even MEET your calorie allowance on MFP, let alone exceed it. I restrict fruit to two servings of low-fructose fruit because the new research shows that fructose can be something of a "trigger" for the obese person to turn carbs into fat instead of burning them for energy. That is why high fructose corn syrup (the sweetener in soda pop and in many processed foods) is especially bad for anyone who battles obesity. I generally end up eating about 1200-1300 calories a day---more on days when I am very active. But again, I am not particularly concerned about calories. I don't get on the scale a lot, but I use fat calipers to judge the loss of body fat. I have lost about 20 pounds of body fat so far (I have "beefed up" my muscles at the same time with weight lifting). Most of my friends tell me that they can't believe that I have only lost 20 pounds as it looks like a lot more. Previous to starting on the low-carb plan, my muscle mass had shrunk to pathetic proportions because I was on blood pressure medication---which really did a job on my muscle mass. I think it is likely a big reason why older people experience "sarcopenia" (loss of lean tissue) and become weak and clumsy---the majority of older people are on B.P. medication. (Note to anyone reading this who is on B.P. medication---don't go off cold turkey---you could get a stroke! You need to lose some body fat and increase your activity level and home monitor your B.P. if you are going to taper off the medication.) While I didn't gain a lot of weight while I was on them, I gained a lot of fat---particularly belly fat. I have lost 4 inches off my waist in about six months and my muscles don't hurt anymore since I was able to get off my B.P. meds.

It is pretty easy to do lower carb with a family. When they have spaghetti, you have spaghetti sauce on some kind of cooked vegetable (sounds awful but it is yummy). When they have grilled cheese sandwiches, you have just plain cheese and fruit. :smile:
  • MoniMoni2u
    MoniMoni2u Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I just had a 2 egg omelet for lunch. (1/2 green pepper chopped, 2 slices onion, chopped, 1 tomato chopped. 1 t coconut oil to saute veggies. 2 whole eggs and a slice (1 oz) of cheese of choice. (Today's was smoked gouda! YUMMY!) Easy, added a little bit of veggies and is very filling.

I've been using the whole grain sandwich thins that are on the market. I do different things with it:
    Toast and add peanut butter (1 T)
    Turkey (baked not deli meat) and a 1/2 a wedge of laughing cow flavor of the day! Depends on my mood!
    Toasted with mashed avacado, then sliced onion and tomato

Love Cottage cheese. I normally add pineapple but that won't work with your qualifications! :)
    I also enjoy a mix of the following: cucumber (thick chunks), onion chunks, sweet pepper chunks and tomato chunks I add a little sweetener salt and pepper on top and then douse with tarragon vinegar and sometimes add 1 T of olive oil. I love this medley with cottage cheese.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I just had a 2 egg omelet for lunch. (1/2 green pepper chopped, 2 slices onion, chopped, 1 tomato chopped. 1 t coconut oil to saute veggies. 2 whole eggs and a slice (1 oz) of cheese of choice. (Today's was smoked gouda! YUMMY!) Easy, added a little bit of veggies and is very filling.

I've been using the whole grain sandwich thins that are on the market. I do different things with it:
    Toast and add peanut butter (1 T)
    Turkey (baked not deli meat) and a 1/2 a wedge of laughing cow flavor of the day! Depends on my mood!
    Toasted with mashed avacado, then sliced onion and tomato

Love Cottage cheese. I normally add pineapple but that won't work with your qualifications! :)
    I also enjoy a mix of the following: cucumber (thick chunks), onion chunks, sweet pepper chunks and tomato chunks I add a little sweetener salt and pepper on top and then douse with tarragon vinegar and sometimes add 1 T of olive oil. I love this medley with cottage cheese.

Yep--I have scrambled eggs with cheese and sauteed onion and spinach almost every morning for breakfast. I love cottage cheese too (4% is lower in carbs--simple cheeses like cottage cheese or ricotta always have some carbs) but I put vegetables in it--instead of fruit--to keep the carbs down. I put in scallions, minced raw carrots, chopped tomatoes, chopped cucumber, chopped green pepper, a little bit of chopped beets---or whatever other vegetables I have around that appeal to me. I also like cottage cheese with a handful of unsalted organic peanuts or other nuts. The natural sugar in cottage cheese is galactose but the good news is that galactose is metabolized very slowly, so you don't get blood sugar spikes from it. Hard cheeses like cheddar don't have any carbs at all. I normally have fruit with hard cheese.
  • almorrow1s
    almorrow1s Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    In college I used to love tomatoes and cottage cheese or green peppers and cottage cheese, so maybe I should bring those back into the lunch rotation!
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    In college I used to love tomatoes and cottage cheese or green peppers and cottage cheese, so maybe I should bring those back into the lunch rotation!

Yes--cottage cheese is very adaptable. On a day when I haven't had too many carbs and I have craving for a potato, for dinner, I will have a microwaved baked potato "smothered" in cottage cheese and caramelized onions with a generous topping of hand grated parmesan (I don't like the canned kind--too salty). Sometimes I will saute onions, green peppers and mushrooms and add those to my cottage cheese on potato. Mmmmm. When I've had a busy day and I don't feel like cooking, it is a FAST dinner for me, while my hubby eats leftovers (which I hate).
  • chickiec28
    Options
    My recipes are dinners, but I usually bring leftovers for lunch. I love pizza and couldn't bear the thought of giving it up, so i make a casserole with the same flavors.

1 pound hamburger
    5 large mushrooms, sliced
    1/2 bell pepper (whatever color you prefer), chopped
    1/2 medium onion, chopped
    2 cups shredded mozzerella
    about 20 pepperoni
    Hunt's traditional spaghetti sauce (i use about 1/2 can which is 1 1/2 cups)
    Pizza seasoning
    2 Tbsp minced garlic

Brown the hamburger with Italian seasoning and garlic. Drain and place in an 8X8 glass pan. Cover with spaghetti sauce. Layer veggies. Cover with cheese and put pepperoni on top. Bake in oven for about 20 minutes at 400, or until cheese is bubbly.

If you divide by 4 servings, 595 calories and 15 carbs
    If you divide by 6 servings, 397 calories and 10 carbs

Everyone loves this recipe and nobody seems to notice that it's low-carb. :)
  • Laffinhippiegurl
    Laffinhippiegurl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    salad.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I love to have a little snack tray sort of. Cheese, almonds, berries of some kind or grapes, maybe carrot sticks too. It's nice and lite but satisfying as well.
  • DennyHodge
    DennyHodge Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Join us over at www.reddit.com/r/paleo and www.reddit.com/r/keto for low-carb and natural eating support? We also have a pretty active low-carb community on here, just mostly on non-default public forums because low-carb is apparently the devil to most people on MFP.

Yes, it seems that the body builders and runners dominate the forums here (and they can be as domineering as the body builders at the gym) :wink: Body builders and runners apparently HATE low-carb plans. While carbs are great for high-performance athletes, they are not so good for the obese---particularly obese women.

Very true. lol. I am a runner, and I strength train pretty hard. I am definitely more on the higher protein, lower carb belief of losing weight. I need carbs, but I try to keep them complex when I'm training for a marathon, and running 40-50 miles a week. The other good thing about protein is it makes you feel full, so you are less likely to want extra stuff to eat.

If it has to be sweet though, try some Ezekial bread toasted with some almond butter, topped with my favorite sweet... organic blue agave. It's awesome!! You get good fats with the almond butter, get the sweet from the agave (super low glycemic), and some real, true grains with the Ezekial bread. You will definitely feel full!
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    If it has to be sweet though, try some Ezekial bread toasted with some almond butter, topped with my favorite sweet... organic blue agave. It's awesome!! You get good fats with the almond butter, get the sweet from the agave (super low glycemic), and some real, true grains with the Ezekial bread. You will definitely feel full!
    FYI as a Type II diabetic myself I can attest that Ezekial (and other sprouted-grain) breads are lower in net carbs (more fiber) and glycemic index than regular breads made with flour, even one's claiming to be "whole grain" ...

However they still spike my blood sugar in quantities greater than 1/2 slice at a time. So for people like the OP worried about glycemic control, make sure you test with a meter before/after eating to ensure it fits in your glycemic 'window' of control.

My 'go-to' low-carb lunch is typically full-fat cheese, some meat and either a handful of berries or crisp veggies with some cream-cheese based onion or ranch dip. I'll also make myself some lettuce wraps with a high-fat/low-carb chicken salad or something else similar.

... that being said this thread is from October 2012 =)
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I have chicken and veggies every day for lunch.

I get a 10lb bag of frozen chicken breasts from Wal-mart for 7$
    4 bags of frozen veggies (green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots) at 1.25$ each- 5$

12$ for the week for lunch, which comes out to $ 2.40 for each lunch.

This lunch has very minimal sugar/ carbs and can be very filling depending on how much chicken or veggies you eat.
  • ilikesitspicy
    ilikesitspicy Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    my favorites

taco salad in a bowl instead of a tostada.

hot and sour soup with lots of tofu and egg :)

asian chicken wraps (wrapped in napa cabbage)

chicken cordon bleu with grilled chicken

sausage and peppers in marinara

tofu stir fry in a thai peanut sauce

plus loads of salads :)
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    One of my favorite lunches (as a matter of fact, I had it for lunch today) is some chopped green pepper, sliced English cucumber, about 1/4 of an avocado, cut into chunks, 3 or 4 organic grape tomatoes, 2 oz. of organic, raw milk, diced cheddar cheese and about a tablespoon of Greek feta dressing. About 375 calories, 6 grams of carbohydrate, and no sugar at all (check the label on your feta cheese dressing--some have sugar and some don't. I use Renee's and it doesn't have any sugar). This salad has 33 grams of fat but going low-fat and low-carb makes a lot of people sick. You must do one OR the other but not both. I don't worry about fat because I watch my total calories and I keep my carbs down to 100 or below and make sure I get enough quality protein. Whatever is left goes into my fat macro--which usually averages in the 80-100 range. It is VERY filling and keeps me energized even past the before-dinner-slump. :smile: