Dealing with the Cookie Monster within

Options
My real weakness is sweets. I could probably count on one hand the number of times I've turned down dessert when it is staring me in the face. Waiters asking after a meal, I can definitely refuse. But when someone is pushing a brownie into my face, there is no way I can refuse. I need help with this willpower issue in particular. How can I reject baked goods?

One of the things I'm tracking on MFP is my sugar intake. I was shocked yesterday by my first "diagnostic" day, where I was "good" and had relatively healthy food, to discover how much sugar I intake. I'm afraid of getting diabetes when I get older, as my father has it, and his mother did before him, as well. My mother has and her mother had notorious sweet tooths. Tackling the sugar issue will be my main challenge, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it. Any ideas, friends?

Replies

• elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    there are different body types and each has a different trigger on foods. thyroid types' crave sweets. you can read more info here:
    http://www.bodytypes.com/Body_Type_System/Home.html
  • rowie
    rowie Posts: 75
    Options
    I love dark chocolate covered cranberries or ginger. It's sweet, chocolaty, and makes me feel like i got a treat, but they aren't too bad in the way of fat/sugar since you don't need to eat many. I work in a bakery, which is so not fair, and i try eating well before getting to work, and drinking water constantly. Keeps me full. If i feel the urge for a cookie i'll eat one of the hard candy mints i keep in my pocket. Not many baked goods taste good with a mint in your mouth, and it lasts a long time! Gum works too, cuz if you all ready have something in your mouth you're less likely to eat other things. I'll be interested to read others comments on this subject, cuz i have a major sweet tooth too! You're not alone!
  • kevcar0603
    kevcar0603 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've found healthy substitutes for a lot of different baked goods. I have a healthy version of a chocolate chip muffin, chocolate cake and brownies. Although I don't bake very often, it's nice to know that I can make some of these things and not feel guilty abut it later.

I allow myself dessert every night. I have a sweet tooth too and knowing that I can have my dark chocolate or whatever later makes it a little easier.

If you're worried about overdoing it, drink a big glass of water before you eat the baked goods. Don't deprive yourself, but know your limits. Moderation is key to maintaining healthy eating habits. Good luck!!
  • neglet
    neglet Posts: 20
    Options
    This has always been a problem for me. If I go cold turkey on sweets, I eventually have trouble staying on the wagon. I have a few strategies, depending on the circumstances:

1) Only keep a few low-calorie, mini-portion sweets in the house. Sugar-free jello/pudding, hershey kisses for when I have to have a chocolate fix.

2) When I have a craving at home, I tell myself, "LATER." If I promise myself a hershey's kiss an hour from now, often that will hold off the craving and an hour later I won't want the sweets anymore. If the craving's still there in an hour and I have one kiss? Well, that's one fewer hour I could have filled with sweets.

3) When I'm away from home? When I eat out, I just don't order dessert, the temptation is too great. By telling myself my tasty entree was my treat, I can usually convince myself. If I'm at a potluck or some place where people offer sweets, and I really can't refuse, I cut myself one or two bites' worth. Then I don't go back to the dessert table.

4) My worst problem is baking. I love to bake treats ... and love to eat them. Now when I bake I take one cookie/slice, and immediately box or freeze the rest. I give it to my family to take to school or work, so I get one taste, and the rest of the temptation leaves the house.

Good luck! My Cookie Monster will never be fully tamed, but I believe I can civilize it a little. :happy:
  • robinp00
    robinp00 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love dark chocolate covered cranberries or ginger. It's sweet, chocolaty, and makes me feel like i got a treat, but they aren't too bad in the way of fat/sugar since you don't need to eat many. I work in a bakery, which is so not fair, and i try eating well before getting to work, and drinking water constantly. Keeps me full. If i feel the urge for a cookie i'll eat one of the hard candy mints i keep in my pocket. Not many baked goods taste good with a mint in your mouth, and it lasts a long time! Gum works too, cuz if you all ready have something in your mouth you're less likely to eat other things. I'll be interested to read others comments on this subject, cuz i have a major sweet tooth too! You're not alone!

I like your suggestion of always having something in my mouth... I can see that working.

What I do when I get a craving is eat something with a strong taste. For example, I have never been able to resist a cinnabon... what I do now is eat a banana instead since it has a relatively strong taste and I find my craving subsides. Most cravings are simply a need to eat, but with the sweets being the first thing that jump into mind since that is what we are trying to avoid.
  • jcarter0525
    Options
    When I get cravings, I drink a big glass of water! That always knocks it right out. Another thing, once you start losing weight, you start to look at those foods as the enemy. You kinda get it in your head that this isn't good for you and you know you shouldn't have it and if you eat it, it could potentially ruin any progress you made that week. At least, that's what's going on in my head. It took me a while to get to that point. Your will power will get stronger. Keep it up! You can do it!
  • tpelaez
    tpelaez Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm especially surprised by the body type diet website--wow, I knew my mom had a thyroid problem, but I had no idea about gland overstimulation. That makes so much sense.

Rock on, everybody.